The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do you know how hard it is to get into SCAT?
Original post by cole-slaw
Do you know how hard it is to get into SCAT?

Not very I don't think. Everyone I know who's wanted to go has done anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
Not very I don't think. Everyone I know who's wanted to go has done anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you get into scat?
When did you get into scat?
I didn't go there, just saying that people I know that do/did didn't seem to have much if a problem getting in :smile: A couple started in 2012, one last year and one this year that I can think of. Most people I know went to TCAT instead, that's more a geography thing though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't go there, just saying that people I know that do/did didn't seem to have much if a problem getting in :smile: A couple started in 2012, one last year and one this year that I can think of. Most people I know went to TCAT instead, that's more a geography thing though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

damn it, you ruined the joke
damn it, you ruined the joke

Sorry, didn't get it :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, didn't get it :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's ok, it was almost great.

Are you from Telford then?
that's ok, it was almost great.

Are you from Telford then?

Let's keep this discussion academic, cole-slaw!
Original post by University Centre Shrewsbury
Let's keep this discussion academic, cole-slaw!

I think its great Shrewsbury is getting a university, I went to school there and I always said it needed a university. (as well as a north-west relief road).

I always thought the west-mids-show-ground site would be good, but I guess its on the flood plain.
I think its great Shrewsbury is getting a university, I went to school there and I always said it needed a university. (as well as a north-west relief road).

I always thought the west-mids-show-ground site would be good, but I guess its on the flood plain.

Really glad you think so. We're really looking forward to being a part of the town from next September :smile:
I notice you're looking to put bio-science degrees on, where will the laboratories for these subjects be? Or will they be purely theory?
Original post by Sherskul
I notice you're looking to put bio-science degrees on, where will the laboratories for these subjects be? Or will they be purely theory?

Hello, the laboratories will be based within the town centre. The course will be a mixture of theory and practical. There is also more information about our courses online http://www.ucshrewsbury.co.uk/ I hope that helps :smile:
I've read that you've started postgraduate teaching in Shrewsbury already. What courses are they (Masters or PhD), and how come they were not well advertised? I can't seem to find any information about what they are.

Also, will you be employing NEW academic and support staff to work at Shrewsbury in September 2015... OR will academics and administration staff be airdropped in from University of Chester?
Original post by SmileySmiler
I've read that you've started postgraduate teaching in Shrewsbury already. What courses are they (Masters or PhD), and how come they were not well advertised? I can't seem to find any information about what they are.

Also, will you be employing NEW academic and support staff to work at Shrewsbury in September 2015... OR will academics and administration staff be airdropped in from University of Chester?

Postgraduate courses

Hi.

We’ve welcomed a small intake of about 20 postgraduates who are studying Certificate in Management Studies and Certificate in Public Health courses.

The chance to study the Diploma in Management Studies and Master of Business Administration (further stages of the Certificate in Management Studies) is also available from this autumn, with more postgraduate courses available next year.

As postgraduate courses offer more flexibility in being able to start at different times during the year, this has given us the opportunity to start small and grow steadily from this point.

People can also study Shrewsbury Business Masters and MSc History of Science courses with us in 2015, and we’re looking at offering a MSc in Museums Practice and a MSc in Sustainable Heritage Practice.

Information on courses is available at www.ucshrewsbury.co.uk where you can also register an interest - and we’re adding to what’s on the site.

Please bear with us while we add further detail and we’d love to hear from you if you are interested in any of the courses. Please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01244 512800 or by email at [email protected].

Staff

The teaching staff for the first postgraduate courses includes University of Chester academic staff and local industry professionals. The project team is made up of individuals from Shropshire Council and the University of Chester.

To enable us to grow, we’re planning a recruitment drive in late 2014 to early 2015, when we’ll be advertising vacancies for academic and support staff in the local media.

We also plan to advertise positions on the University of Chester website at www.chester.ac.uk/jobs and the University Centre Shrewsbury website at www.ucshrewsbury.co.uk.

We’d encourage people locally with the right skills to apply; please keep an eye on the sites and the local media.

We hope this provides the info you need. Let us know if you have any further questions.
What sports facilities will there be? How could a sports club be set up?
Original post by ShropJosh
What sports facilities will there be? How could a sports club be set up?

Hi, Shrewsbury has a fantastic choice of facilities, including leisure centres across the town, a Council-run golf course and a range of clubs.

Shropshire has great places for outdoor sports and activities - including an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty - and there’s a Snowboard and Ski Centre in Telford, nearby.

The county also boasts one of the UK’s National Sports Centres, training grounds and centres of excellence for the country’s leading sportsmen and women.

We want to ensure that all students and staff are able to participate in sport and recreation, at the level they want - and this gives us a brilliant starting point.

We’re working with Energize, Shropshire, Telford & Wrekin - the county sports partnership for Shropshire - and Shrewsbury Town Football Club to ensure that our students can make the most of what is currently on offer, explore opportunities to develop new facilities, support and services, and to set up new University clubs and teams from autumn 2015, when we welcome our first undergraduates.

We want to offer first-class sports facilities and services, a safe and welcoming sporting environment, a high level of coaching and support, develop links with local sports clubs and National Governing Bodies, and promote sport within the University Centre and the wider community.

As part of this, we will encourage casual sports participants, and provide support for high performance athletes who will represent the University Centre alongside commitments to external clubs, counties, representative and national sides. In three to four years, we aim to have varsity teams competing with other local Universities in the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) leagues.

We’ll be sharing more information in coming months. Further information on sports clubs currently set up in Shropshire, is available here:

http://www.shropshiretelfordwrekinsportspartnership.org.uk/spage.php?id=1&subid=4

If you’re interested in starting up a sports club, email us with more details at [email protected] - we’d love to find out more.
Reply 36
Hi,

I emailed the Enquires email address several days ago concerning this, yet I believe the email address wasn't working properly for me.

I'm currently in my first year at the University of Birmingham studying German and History, but I feel made the wrong decision. Would there be a possibility of simply transferring to do History or possibly English as a 1st year at Shrewsbury, or must I go through Track at UCAS again?

I'm very interested in starting at Shrewsbury as I think it would suit me far greater both in terms of the practical side of the course and my love for the town as a whole.

I also went to see if it was possible to apply on UCAS for September 2015, however, it says that the university isn't on the website, which may pose problems.

Thank you,
Amonhen
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AmonHen
Hi,

I emailed the Enquires email address several days ago concerning this, yet I believe the email address wasn't working properly for me.

I'm currently in my first year at the University of Birmingham studying German and History, but I feel made the wrong decision. Would there be a possibility of simply transferring to do History or possibly English as a 1st year at Shrewsbury, or must I go through Track at UCAS again?

I'm very interested in starting at Shrewsbury as I think it would suit me far greater both in terms of the practical side of the course and my love for the town as a whole.

I also went to see if it was possible to apply on UCAS for September 2015, however, it says that the university isn't on the website, which may pose problems.

Thank you,
Amonhen

Hello, Thanks for getting in touch. It would be best if you called the admissions team on 01244 511000 and you can talk through any options with them, they will be able to help you.

Any undergraduate applications can be made through UCAS, but all the University Centre Shrewsbury courses are listed under the University of Chester, so that may be why you couldn't find them listed separately.
Hi, will there be any form of students union taking place this September for undergraduate students? If so , will there be a variety of social clubs etc.?
Hi Jessica,

There will be a Students’ Union at Shrewsbury to represent you and all your views, offer advice and make sure your get the best university experience. There are lots of sports and societies you can be involved with, from netball to football, rowing or tennis, there are drama groups, film societies, equestrian and dance. We have a huge range of sports and societies which you can be a part of, and if we don’t have one of interest to you, we’ll help you set one up!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending