humy369
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm in my 2nd year of biomed and I want to do a PhD in neuroscience when I graduate so I want to know what things I can do to boost my application in terms of internships, skills, etc.

Any general advice is also appreciated
!!mentor!!
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your priority is to make sure that your lecturers know you by name and face and show them you're a hard worker and get good grades.
The reason being is that the lecturers will know people in the industry and will recommend you to them for internships if they feel you are capable. They won't recommend just anyone because if they recommended an idiot, no-one in the industry could take them seriously anymore.
humy369
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Bump
punctuation
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your priority is, in fact, getting research experience. If you haven't already considered it, you NEED to get some experience in a lab, either during the year with a faculty member, or this summer - there are plenty of opportunities for people in the summer between second and third year so look into those e.g. Wellcome Trust. Forming strong bonds for references is also important, but those will come along with performing well in your research posts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads