The Student Room Group

Why cut and freeze benefits before actually creating enough jobs? (Conservatives)

What is the logic in this? Is there any logic? Even if all current jobs were filled, not everyone would be employed.

Why don't conservatives focus on job creation schemes, specifically, creating jobs that actually afford people basic rent, food and clothing before cutting peoples lifeline?

Discuss

p.s. Is there any incentive for young graduates to actually vote conservative at this time?

Scroll to see replies

Because they're dicks who only look after themselves.
They do it so they can make the "scroungers" suffer and pay less tax...it'd be cool if I could give more economic reasons but a lot of politicians e.g. Iain Duncan Smith are nasty knuckle heads with no education and that's literally their reasoning. It's ideological for a lot of them...and a nasty unfounded ideology at that.
Their policy isn't to get young voters - it's to get pensioners and those who are already well off whilst sticking a big middle finger up to the poor, young and disabled.
Original post by mathsmathsmaths
They do it so they can make the "scroungers" suffer and pay less tax...it'd be cool if I could give more economic reasons but a lot of politicians e.g. Iain Duncan Smith are nasty knuckle heads with no education and that's literally their reasoning. It's ideological for a lot of them...and a nasty unfounded ideology at that.

I've found a rare picture of Iain and Duncan Smith's soul.

newblack.jpg
Reply 5
Original post by TheFreeRanger
What is the logic in this? Is there any logic? Even if all current jobs were filled, not everyone would be employed.

Why don't conservatives focus on job creation schemes, specifically, creating jobs that actually afford people basic rent, food and clothing before cutting peoples lifeline?

Discuss

p.s. Is there any incentive for young graduates to actually vote conservative at this time?

On your first point, the labour market is not static. These jobs won't just be filled and then that's the quota done with, new ones will be created and the economy is currently creating jobs at a rate of over 656,000.

On a purely technical basis the tax offer is slightly better than labour (raise the threshold rather than 10% tax bracket) and as i say above, there are many new jobs being created with the unemployment rate falling by 1.2% in 2013 which was the fastest since 1994 (Jan-Sep this year has fallen another 1% so should match or beat that). I've not seen anything from Labour which will create a load of new jobs.

Discuss

Unemployment is currently falling like a stone. It will take a couple of years to get rid of the "overhang" of youth unemployment but once that happens I think you will find that there are far more searching questions asked as to why the people are claiming JSA.

The claimant count is currently 1.1 million. It bottomed out at around 780,000 in February 2008. It hadn't been lower than that since the mid 1970s
Original post by nulli tertius
Unemployment is currently falling like a stone. It will take a couple of years to get rid of the "overhang" of youth unemployment but once that happens I think you will find that there are far more searching questions asked as to why the people are claiming JSA.

The claimant count is currently 1.1 million. It bottomed out at around 780,000 in February 2008. It hadn't been lower than that since the mid 1970s

Well that'd seem sensible, but we've had a couple of recessions since the mid '70s and getting people off the dole always seem to fall off the bottom of the policy agenda when the recovery gets going.

i.e. no one can see the point in fixing the roof while the sun's shining.
Original post by Joinedup
Well that'd seem sensible, but we've had a couple of recessions since the mid '70s and getting people off the dole always seem to fall off the bottom of the policy agenda when the recovery gets going.

i.e. no one can see the point in fixing the roof while the sun's shining.

I agree but the benefit reform agenda has now survived into three governments and four Prime Ministerships. Short of Respect winning an outright majority at the general election, it is difficult to believe it will disappear.

It is hard to believe now, but in 1982 Margaret Thatcher abolished the requirement for the unemployed to register with Job Centres because it was seen as a pointless formality.
Original post by Brit_Miller
Their policy isn't to get young voters - it's to get pensioners and those who are already well off whilst sticking a big middle finger up to the poor, young and disabled.

Everybody has a chance to succeed in this country- the poor are the wasters, the losers. Why should we help people who didnt help themselves and are a burden on such a great country?
If we're judging the coalition in terms of job creation, then they have been outstanding.
Original post by billydisco
Everybody has a chance to succeed in this country- the poor are the wasters, the losers. Why should we help people who didnt help themselves and are a burden on such a great country?

What do you do?
What do you do?

Online social commentator? :colone:

Discuss

Conservatives are a right wing party.

Right wing means they think it is normal for the elite minority to be economically, politically and socially represented. Capitalism is an extension of this. Capitalism is not about getting people jobs. It's about using a human to profit of their work. Why hire two workers for a 12 hour day when you can hire one? lol

They are not policies for young people. They don't care if you struggle. Their sons and daughter will occupy the job you desire
What do you do?

???
???

What do you do for a living?
What do you do for a living?

Why do I need to tell you what I do for a living?

I'm not poor, I don't receive benefits nor do I live off-of anybody else's money. Beyond that why do you need to know more??

Shall we just kill off all these losers? Old people don't seem to do much either, just a huge burden on the country with their pensions weighing us down - maybe we should cut these wasters off too?

P.S. I'm poor - why am I a waster?
Original post by Brit_Miller
Shall we just kill off all these losers? Old people don't seem to do much either, just a huge burden on the country with their pensions weighing us down - maybe we should cut these wasters off too?

P.S. I'm poor - why am I a waster?

Too harsh. However, if we withdraw from one of the UN conventions we could simply make them all stateless.

It'd be like everybody over 60 gets the boot.. everybody unemployed for a year.. everybody not covering their cost to the state.
Reply 19

You're assuming the level of jobs in an economy is static, or alternatively can all be filled in one fell swoop. Neither is the case.

Why don't conservatives focus on job creation schemes

They do. Which is why we have seen a huge growth in employment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending