The Student Room Group

The Running Thread Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Work has literally allowed me no time to do any running really since September so as of tomorrow I'm getting back into it. I didn't get into the London marathon so I don't need to do as much intensive training so now I'm just aiming to do some 10ks and half marathons this year, nothing much further than that if I can help it. Going to start tomorrow when I get back to work and the holidays are officially over. I'm aiming to do maybe half a dozen small races this year and also break a 50 minute 10k, which I've yet to complete yet, so I'll be back here a bit more now, going to re-adjust the work-life balance as I just about died of stress toward the back end of last year and things like just enjoying a run were lost along the way.
First run in nearly two weeks, first long(ish) run in about a month... PB. Funny how the body works sometimes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just been for my first run of the year and it was a little bit icy! Hope it doesn't get any worse as then I might have to have a break :frown:
Finally out, first time since November, did a couple of miles, just ran for 20 minutes or so, feels good.
Off work yesterday, prolonging the wait to get back to work.

However I did something useful - two runs! 4.91 and 8.15 miles. A decent 13 mile total for yesterday.

January is a massive month. This mileage juggernaut just needs to keep ploughing on.
I did my County XC Championships on Sunday. Finished 70/143 in 56:26 on the 12K course. Really pleased because it has over 7 minutes faster than the same course last year.
Question: why do loads of runners wear bright/high-vis stuff when they're just running on the pavement? Are they expecting pedestrians to see that and get out of the way more than usual? Or is it that they don't trust themselves to cross the road safely or something???

I do it if i'm running down a country road, but I'm the only person I know or have seen that does that.
It's just good to be seen tbh, better safe than sorry and all that.

Also a ridiculously large proportion is high-vis anyway.

Did 3.8k tonight, nice 22 minuter. Little and often is the key!
Original post by TornadoGR4
Improved my 1.5 mile time from 10:53 to 10:13. Really caught me out considering my improvements are usually around 10 seconds.

Almost killed myself, but dipped into the 9 minute bracket narrowly with a 9:59. I don't think I'll be pushing quite so hard for improvement now, probably just to get more comfortable doing it at that pace. Press-ups and sit-ups becoming the focus.
I just ran my first 10k (that I've timed) at 57:45, how good is that time? Compared to others of our age?
Original post by k9markiii
I did my County XC Championships on Sunday. Finished 70/143 in 56:26 on the 12K course. Really pleased because it has over 7 minutes faster than the same course last year.

Brb P10 stalking you :colone:
Original post by rockrunride
Brb P10 stalking you :colone:

I'll make it easy for you if you like. http://www.runbritainrankings.com/runners/profile.aspx?athleteid=596794
Reply 192
Any one here use strava ?
Original post by robo donkey
It's just good to be seen tbh, better safe than sorry and all that.

I don't see people wearing it when walking around though, which is surely the same risk!

Also a ridiculously large proportion is high-vis anyway.

I suspect its all just fashion, in that case. 'Look at me I'm running' is the 'in' atm.
Original post by nexttime
Question: why do loads of runners wear bright/high-vis stuff when they're just running on the pavement? Are they expecting pedestrians to see that and get out of the way more than usual? Or is it that they don't trust themselves to cross the road safely or something???

I do it if i'm running down a country road, but I'm the only person I know or have seen that does that.

Having nearly had a near miss with some twit on a bike, who was wearing nothing but black :rolleyes: a few years ago, I have no choice really. Where I run, there's generally a lot of cyclists down that way. I did used to belong to a club where over the winter, you weren't allowed out to run in the evening unless you were wearing hi vis.

Really struggled today and Tuesday. Not feeling 100% well which really hasn't helped me one bit.
My run time for 1.5 miles is increasing & it is really frustrating me. Last week was 9:59, Thursday was 10:23 & today was 10:42.

Why is this happening? It just feels harder to do the run now, I'm not carrying any injuries nor have I recently had an injury.
Original post by TornadoGR4
My run time for 1.5 miles is increasing & it is really frustrating me. Last week was 9:59, Thursday was 10:23 & today was 10:42.

Why is this happening? It just feels harder to do the run now, I'm not carrying any injuries nor have I recently had an injury.

From what I can gather, all you've been doing as training is 1.5 miles as fast as possible each time? 1.5 miles per week isn't really enough of a stimulus to improve. If you do that, then all you're really doing is fine-tuning/teaching yourself the most optimal way to run that distance, not necessarily improving fitness. E.g. after the first time you ran it, you probably realised you could have actually given more effort than initially thought within those 10-11 mins, and pace yourself better - so next time you'd run it better by default, not because you improved fitness. Doing only 1.5 miles max effort as training might improve your fitness slightly if you're new, but you will likely hit a limit and get worse if you keep pushing it. You'll temporally burn out. Inefficient approach overall.

To actually improve beyond the point of learning the distance, you need to train for it. This could mean a combination a interval training, easy runs, long runs, and running more in general. What I've been recommended by a 4:20 miler is to first build a base of only easy running for a few weeks (ideally 2-3 months), and then slowly introduce intervals to peak.

If you're not committed to running or running is not your main focus or don't have the time, then I'd recommend once a week you do 400m intervals at slightly faster than your 1.5 mile pace. You run about 10 mins for 1.5 miles, which is the same as 99-100s for 400m. So you could do 8-12 x 400m intervals in about 95s each with about 2 mins rest. On other days of the week do some easy/longer than 1.5 mile runs. Do that for a month or so and you'll improve a lot.
I think I'm slowly getting my fitness back.
Original post by TooEasy123
x

Yeah, I guess I kinda knew that before, I was just having a sulk today for gaining more time. I was given a 6 week fitness guide, that included low impact aerobic activity & moderate intensity longer runs, so I'll be sticking to that quite religiously. Time is something I have plenty of, but ideally I need this 1.5 time back down to 10 mins before February.
Wish this snow and mind would bugger off, dying to run!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest