The Running Thread Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
70-min run :smile:
Reply 741
Reply 742
Does anyone have experience with running with a bag on?
The reason I ask is because I need to bring something to a part of town that is difficult to reach from where I live (would have to get several busses, too far to walk really and cabs are too expensive), so I thought I might as well run there, but I've never worn a bag whilst running (the bag would not be heavy though).
Would anyone advise me against doing this?
Hi everyone, wondering if anybody could offer me some advice.
I'm new to running, having just completed C25K. Only problem is, I'm pretty slow! Takes me about 40 mins to "run" 5k at the moment. I've got a 5k race in mid-June, and I'd love to get a good time in, definitely sub 30 but preferably lower.

My question is, what kind of runs should I be doing each week? Not having the structure of C25K has left me a little lost. Should I be doing speed work, long slow runs, hills? I'm not sure which way is the best to increase my speed. I run 3-4 times per week and I'm a 19 year old female, if that's any help. Any experienced runners out there got any tips for me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Book_Lover_23
Hi everyone, wondering if anybody could offer me some advice.
I'm new to running, having just completed C25K. Only problem is, I'm pretty slow! Takes me about 40 mins to "run" 5k at the moment. I've got a 5k race in mid-June, and I'd love to get a good time in, definitely sub 30 but preferably lower.

My question is, what kind of runs should I be doing each week? Not having the structure of C25K has left me a little lost. Should I be doing speed work, long slow runs, hills? I'm not sure which way is the best to increase my speed. I run 3-4 times per week and I'm a 19 year old female, if that's any help. Any experienced runners out there got any tips for me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you've only just started running then tbh the most important thing is to keep your interest peaked! I'd mix up all of those you mention to keep things varied.
Original post by l1lvink
The reason I ask is because I need to bring something to a part of town that is difficult to reach from where I live (would have to get several busses, too far to walk really and cabs are too expensive), so I thought I might as well run there, but I've never worn a bag whilst running (the bag would not be heavy though).

I always run with a bag. Its important to have one that you can strap tightly to your waist and chest otherwise it bounces around. I got blisters on my neck when I first started and didn't do this!

A well fitted bag is fine though and a good way to increase the range and convenience of your runs.
I think that I should try doing the running with a bag. I haven't tried it since I started running.
Reply 748
I currently run with a bag. As mentioned, if you get a bag which fits properly, you'll be fine. Mine is actually a cycling bag, I do believe. But it works fine for me. You need something which is tight enough that it doesn't move about (this, IIRC, is how you get blisters) but not too tight that it's painful.

Note to self: curry is not a good meal the night before a run. Planned 16 miles and managed 5k. :redface:
How do people recover from long runs? I'm finding as the mileage is increasing, my legs feel constantly quite heavy. Luckily no injuries (yet). Also after long runs I get headaches, anyone else finding this?
Original post by Nichrome
How do people recover from long runs? I'm finding as the mileage is increasing, my legs feel constantly quite heavy. Luckily no injuries (yet). Also after long runs I get headaches, anyone else finding this?

Buy a foam roller; it'll change your life
Reply 752
Original post by Nichrome

I get headaches after running if I don't eat or drink enough. You may find that you need to drink water with electrolyte tabs instead of just water as well. I really struggle to eat after running; so just have some milk or something. I need the calories; I just can't physically eat.
Reply 754
Original post by l1lvink

I run with an Ultraspire Revolution bag. Main advantage for me is it is built for use with the bottle instead of a bag of water. Much less hassle :smile:

http://www.theendurancestore.com/products/ultraspire-revolution-pack-red?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=9008891011&gclid=CIS9wLTbkMsCFe4y0wodieUCqQ
If my 5K PB is 20:45, what would be a good 10K time to aim for?
Reply 757
Original post by Tiger Rag
I get headaches after running if I don't eat or drink enough. You may find that you need to drink water with electrolyte tabs instead of just water as well. I really struggle to eat after running; so just have some milk or something. I need the calories; I just can't physically eat.

Thanks. I thought it was due to dehydration, but I'm usually well hydrated on my runs, apparently it just happens to some runners which is annoying.

Original post by yelllowribbon
If my 5K PB is 20:45, what would be a good 10K time to aim for?

42-43 mins
I'm a big running fan. I used to do a lot of cross-country running but got unfit again as I spent 4 years sedentary in hospital. I got discharged from hospital on Tuesday and have been running every day since then. I am struggling at the moment. I run, walk, run, walk... and my chest gets very tight and I get wheezy. I'm not tired so my breathing is letting me down at the moment. Are there any techniques I can use to make it easier to breath?

Quick Reply

Latest