The Student Room Group

The Running Thread Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jay018
Who else despises running on a treadmill? bores the life out of me!

Me!

This morning's run was awful. I've got a nice lump on my head where I fell over. :frown: And somehow, I've hurt my thumb.

Parkrun marshalling tomorrow for the first time ever.
Original post by Jay018
Who else despises running on a treadmill? bores the life out of me!

Not a massive fan either... but am coming back from injury at the moment and it's decent if you're looking for low impact.

The cross trainer. Now that's a different story. I have a 40 minute date with one tonight and I suspect I may need coffee to hand.
So parkrun marshalling was good. I was informed (eventually!) that it's meant to be one of the hardest in the country. (Mount Edgcumbe) Going to start running there after my half marathon.
Original post by rockrunride
Not a massive fan either... but am coming back from injury at the moment and it's decent if you're looking for low impact.

The cross trainer. Now that's a different story. I have a 40 minute date with one tonight and I suspect I may need coffee to hand.

I despise the cross trainer!!! But can't use the treadmill either at the moment because I'm supposed to be low impact. So I'm on the exercise bike. Far less boring than the cross trainer as at least I can watch Netflix!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got back into running this month. Kinda of a new years resolution. Done 90 miles so far in 2017. Gonna aim for a 1000 this year. I think the 20 mile a week target is just about right to motivate me to get out without seeming unachievable. In reality I'll probably end up smashing that as I think I'm ready to up my weekly long run to 12-13 miles.

I have a 3.5 mile route I do 2-3 times during the week. A month about go I was doing it at 8:28 per mile but this week I got it down to 7:20 per mile.
My long run at the weekends has been just shy of 10miles. In October my fastest was 8:39 per mile round that course then I lost interest a little bit but this month I've got it 8:28 then 8:11 and yesterday got it to 7:59.

I'm getting faster and faster and Im really enjoying running at the moment. Could do with a race or two cos I feel like I could absolutely smash some PBs right now.
Reply 885
Original post by blue n white army
Got back into running this month. Kinda of a new years resolution. Done 90 miles so far in 2017. Gonna aim for a 1000 this year. I think the 20 mile a week target is just about right to motivate me to get out without seeming unachievable. In reality I'll probably end up smashing that as I think I'm ready to up my weekly long run to 12-13 miles.

I have a 3.5 mile route I do 2-3 times during the week. A month about go I was doing it at 8:28 per mile but this week I got it down to 7:20 per mile.
My long run at the weekends has been just shy of 10miles. In October my fastest was 8:39 per mile round that course then I lost interest a little bit but this month I've got it 8:28 then 8:11 and yesterday got it to 7:59.

I'm getting faster and faster and Im really enjoying running at the moment. Could do with a race or two cos I feel like I could absolutely smash some PBs right now.

Going to start running outside when the weather is better. Will dedicate one day a week to it for now(probably saturday morning) but I go to the gym and do cardio sometimes. When the weather is good then I'll look to do running 3 days a week maybe.
When your half marathon is 150 metres short. It only took someone from October to now to tell us.
Original post by bammy jastard 27
Going to start running outside when the weather is better. Will dedicate one day a week to it for now(probably saturday morning) but I go to the gym and do cardio sometimes. When the weather is good then I'll look to do running 3 days a week maybe.

Some times I find that if the weather is horrific I have my most enjoyable runs.

Last year the town I live in was starting to flood and I went for a run in the middle of the storm (in the safe parts) and it was fantastic.
I'm sure I wrote after doing the London Marathon "never again". I am currently googling UK marathons. The only thing stopping me is needing a guide to run with. :lol:
Original post by Tiger Rag
When your half marathon is 150 metres short. It only took someone from October to now to tell us.

Glasgow? I imagine Callum Hawkins was pretty pissed off!
Original post by offhegoes
Glasgow? I imagine Callum Hawkins was pretty pissed off!

Yes it was Glasgow.
I've got this stinging pain in my left knee towards the outside and it keeps coming back, really peeing me off because the weather is decent now. Does anyone know how much rest/low impact cardio I should do? Would it be a couple of weeks or much longer?
got into the great north run this year, started training last week and gonna slowly build up. not done any running since i left sixth form a few years ago and then the longest i ever did was about 4miles in the annual house running competition. I'm generally otherwise fairly fit as I play badminton every week.

Anyone got any tips for training?
Original post by stirkee
got into the great north run this year, started training last week and gonna slowly build up. not done any running since i left sixth form a few years ago and then the longest i ever did was about 4miles in the annual house running competition. I'm generally otherwise fairly fit as I play badminton every week.

Just as you say, slowly build up. The typical training plan would be 3/4 runs midweek and a long weekend run. Keep your long run slower than your target race pace and have one of the shorter midweek runs at pace or slightly faster.

Million training plans along those lines available online.

Appropriate running shoes! They don't need to cost a fortune but should fit well, have some cushioning and be in good condition. Decent socks always a plus too. Buy your race day clothes now and wear them every long run.
Original post by Not_a_horse
I've got this stinging pain in my left knee towards the outside and it keeps coming back, really peeing me off because the weather is decent now. Does anyone know how much rest/low impact cardio I should do? Would it be a couple of weeks or much longer?

Perhaps spend a little time figuring out why it's happening or it may just keep coming back. What's your cadence (strides per minute)? Mine used to be low meaning I took fewer steps but each was more high-impact, and I hsed to get shin splits and some knee pain. I upped it to 90bpm and haven't had any problems since.
Original post by stirkee

Are you following a training plan? I'm half marathon training (a week Sunday and I'll be doing it - eek!) and currently following Bupa's half marathon for beginners training plan. It has 3-4 runs a week with a long run once a week and 2-3 shorter runs during the week.

As mentioned, you need decent shoes and socks. Whilst you can afford to get away with cheap shorts, (I run in cheap ones from Sports Direct) I would not skimp on shoes.

Don't try anything new on race day that you haven't tried in training.
Would anyone that does cardio exercise in general be nice enough to do my survey for my project. I just need figures of how often you run and how long you run for and that is pretty much it. It only takes like a minute.
Thanks to anyone that does it really appreciate the help!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/LT22M6H
Are you following a training plan? I'm half marathon training (a week Sunday and I'll be doing it - eek!) and currently following Bupa's half marathon for beginners training plan. It has 3-4 runs a week with a long run once a week and 2-3 shorter runs during the week.

As mentioned, you need decent shoes and socks. Whilst you can afford to get away with cheap shorts, (I run in cheap ones from Sports Direct) I would not skimp on shoes.

Don't try anything new on race day that you haven't tried in training.

Not yet, the GNR isn't until September so I figured for now I'd just do some short 20-25min runs a few times a week for now, plus badminton on Sunday.

But yeah I think i've seen that Bupa plan, how have you found it in preparing for your run and when did you start?

Best of luck with it!
Original post by stirkee
Not yet, the GNR isn't until September so I figured for now I'd just do some short 20-25min runs a few times a week for now, plus badminton on Sunday.

But yeah I think i've seen that Bupa plan, how have you found it in preparing for your run and when did you start?

Best of luck with it!

I've found it really works for me. I just want to get around. I've found it to be challenging enough; but not so challenging that I look at it and think "urgh not another 10 mile run!" I started it around mid December.
I've found it really works for me. I just want to get around. I've found it to be challenging enough; but not so challenging that I look at it and think "urgh not another 10 mile run!" I started it around mid December.

had you run much before you started?

Quick Reply

Latest