The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Applicants 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LaydeeStardust
Hi I am the same as you. My interview was also on Thursday 19th February AM and not heard anything yet. What is your "with subject?"My one is history and also applied for Scottish studies. I knew it was a few weeks now. Everyone at college asks now...have you heard back from Edinburgh! Trust you hear something soon and you are successful. :-)

Hey, I'm history too, as is a girl I met on the day. Neither of us have heard and I'm somewhat frightened. I don't fancy my chances but I just want it over with, would love an offer but gotta be realistic...
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Hi I am the same as you. My interview was also on Thursday 19th February AM and not heard anything yet. What is your "with subject?"My one is history and also applied for Scottish studies. I knew it was a few weeks now. Everyone at college asks now...have you heard back from Edinburgh! Trust you hear something soon and you are successful. :-)

Mine was Wednesday afternoon and was with religion, all the others in my class who applied for with history and Scottish studies got in so hoping they have not made any offers for the religion yet. Fingers and toes crossed for all of us.
Original post by linkin08
Mine was Wednesday afternoon and was with religion, all the others in my class who applied for with history and Scottish studies got in so hoping they have not made any offers for the religion yet. Fingers and toes crossed for all of us.

Yes definitely fingers and toes crossed for us. Wonder if they are just taking their time...so history and Scottish studies offers are being made. Wish they would tell me! Feeling a little impatient here. I am a mature student and felt the interview went okay. How do you think your interview went? I would like to know one way or another. I have 4 of my choices at Edinburgh.
Original post by nobody122
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I'm leaning more towards Edinburgh at the moment. I'm actually from Edinburgh, and originally wanted to go to Glasgow just to get away from Edinburgh but thinking about it, staying in Edinburgh will maybe be better for me. They've given me a much more reasonable offer, and (correct me if I'm wrong) but they have the edge on Glasgow for their English Lit and Philosophy courses.

Edinburgh is such a beautiful city, and despite living here for 18 years I still love it so much, and I don't think I could tear myself away from it, it never gets boring, and never ceases to amaze me with its beauty! To all of you that are moving here from other cities/countries - you're going to love it!

It is a city of literature after all! :smile: I know what you mean though, I'm desperate to leave my hometown for a change of scenery and something new, I'm not sure I could face the same bus route for the next 4 years!
Its a very beautiful city I agree I was there last summer for the open day and I completely fell in love!
I'm so so anxious about offers/rejection now!
Yes definitely fingers and toes crossed for us. Wonder if they are just taking their time...so history and Scottish studies offers are being made. Wish they would tell me! Feeling a little impatient here. I am a mature student and felt the interview went okay. How do you think your interview went? I would like to know one way or another. I have 4 of my choices at Edinburgh.

Im honestly not sure how mine went. I think I got a lot of good points across and remembered my talk well, but I may have been too talkative and/or relaxed.

I am a mature student too so felt old at my interview with all the high school ones. I have 3 choices at Edinburgh. Teaching,Religion and Psychology. Other 2 options are at Stirling, Teaching and psychology.
What about you?
Original post by Gib1997
Im honestly not sure how mine went. I think I got a lot of good points across and remembered my talk well, but I may have been too talkative and/or relaxed.

Yeah I thought the same. I used a lot of life experience and my tutor stated I had a strong personal statement as well. My talk seemed to flow okay. I spoke up a few times and I did feel relaxed. I asked about timetabling as have two young children. I am not sure if that put them off. :-( though children are in my personal statement. I just need to be organised. Would like to know one way or the other. Lots at my college are having offers.
Yeah I thought the same. I used a lot of life experience and my tutor stated I had a strong personal statement as well. My talk seemed to flow okay. I spoke up a few times and I did feel relaxed. I asked about timetabling as have two young children. I am not sure if that put them off. :-( though children are in my personal statement. I just need to be organised. Would like to know one way or the other. Lots at my college are having offers.

No one I know has heard. Perhaps it's because I'm from NI, and hold an Irish passport so I'm technically classified as EU (had to check that repeatedly because it didn't sound right). But that wouldn't explain why the girl I met, who lives in Scotland, hasn't heard.

Maybe they're doing the same thing as a place over hear - tops and tails. Ie giving out the definite offers and the definite rejections, and having another look at the maybes.

Or perhaps they're just sadists.
I am a mature student too so felt old at my interview with all the high school ones. I have 3 choices at Edinburgh. Teaching,Religion and Psychology. Other 2 options are at Stirling, Teaching and psychology.
What about you?

Aw if you don't mind me asking how old are you? I was the same with 3 high school ones on my interview. I went for 2 teaching and then philosophy & eng lit, eng lit & history. I did apply for the teaching degree at Glasgow though they knocked me back pretty early as it is not a natural progression for a swap east student. What college are you at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing for law... I'm trying to be a bit optimistic but does this mean that they've "filtered" the people the don't want?
I honestly wouldn't worry, I got my unconditional about 5 weeks ago and my friend just got one last week so they are obviously still giving out offers! I'm sure you will get one :smile:
Reply 1951
Original post by Gib1997
Thats awesome, but kinda worrying; hopefully they're not saving rejections til last... So have you already done your a levels? Well done :biggrin:

Thank you!! Don't worry I'm sure they will get back to you soon! I think they do rejections first because i was rejected last year really early on in the year, but not too sure! Well im from
Scotland so ive done all my highers and I'm taking a year off just now yeah! All the best - I'm sure your offer will be here in no time! :-)
Aw if you don't mind me asking how old are you? I was the same with 3 high school ones on my interview. I went for 2 teaching and then philosophy & eng lit, eng lit & history. I did apply for the teaching degree at Glasgow though they knocked me back pretty early as it is not a natural progression for a swap east student. What college are you at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok wait for it ........I am 44 with 3 young children.
Hi! So I have a question and I really hope somebody can help me with this. I've applied to some universities this year, but because of personal reasons (very bad anxiety/panic attacks) I have decided that I'm going to continue studying only half of my subjects this year and I'm continuing the other half of my subjects next year (I do 8 in total).
What I mean to say is that I'm putting of university for another year for mental reasons (I'm also starting therapy next week and that needs to be my main focus for now).

I have to say, I didn't actually received my offer yet, but I think I presumably get one (I got offers from other great universities too).

Does anybody know if this means I need to reapply next year? Or is it possible to send an email (if I get my offer) to the university to explain my situation and ask if it's possible to put the offer on hold for next year? And if I do need to reapply, would I be in a disadvantage because I applied the year before already?

Hope somebody can help me and thanks in advance! :smile:
Ok wait for it ........I am 44 with 3 young children.

I am 42 well 43 this year! And I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old. We made it to the interview so that must say something. Also strong personal statements. Just the last piece to receive and that is the offer! Need to stay positive as it is starting to annoy me! We have tons of life experience too. :-)
Original post by Hildegardium
Hi! So I have a question and I really hope somebody can help me with this. I've applied to some universities this year, but because of personal reasons (very bad anxiety/panic attacks) I have decided that I'm going to continue studying only half of my subjects this year and I'm continuing the other half of my subjects next year (I do 8 in total).
What I mean to say is that I'm putting of university for another year for mental reasons (I'm also starting therapy next week and that needs to be my main focus for now).

I have to say, I didn't actually received my offer yet, but I think I presumably get one (I got offers from other great universities too).

Does anybody know if this means I need to reapply next year? Or is it possible to send an email (if I get my offer) to the university to explain my situation and ask if it's possible to put the offer on hold for next year? And if I do need to reapply, would I be in a disadvantage because I applied the year before already?

Hope somebody can help me and thanks in advance! :smile:
You can ask them to defer your place until the following year. Many will do so. You will need to discuss this with each university individually.
Hope everything goes well with your treatment, I suffer anxiety and panic attacks too but have had a great doctor and therapist to get me through it. These things take time so you are doing the right thing by looking to postpone till next year. If you get an offer for this year contact the Uni and explain the situation. I think they take it on a case by case basis so can't give you a definite answer. Good luck xx
Original post by Mbxx
Thank you!! Don't worry I'm sure they will get back to you soon! I think they do rejections first because i was rejected last year really early on in the year, but not too sure! Well im from
Scotland so ive done all my highers and I'm taking a year off just now yeah! All the best - I'm sure your offer will be here in no time! :-)

Thats really awesome to hear, thank you :smile: I just want to get it out of the way now haha
I am 42 well 43 this year! And I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old. We made it to the interview so that must say something. Also strong personal statements. Just the last piece to receive and that is the offer! Need to stay positive as it is starting to annoy me! We have tons of life experience too. :-)

My kids are twins of 8 and wee boy of 6. Gave up a job of 15years to go back into education so lot depending on it. I am at West Lothian College by the way.
My kids are twins of 8 and wee boy of 6. Gave up a job of 15years to go back into education so lot depending on it. I am at West Lothian College by the way.

Aw that's nice so they are now at school. Yeah I am the same re the job situation just over 10 years in that job to go back and sort my education out. Cool the first year I spoke with on the primary ed with history was a swap student from West Lothian. Let me know how you get on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending