This discussion is closed.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
can any one define relative permeability and calculate the field strength inside a solenoid which has a ferrous core??

love Katy ***
barbiegrl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
are we talking degree level here or some sort of physics all i know from that sentence it the word ferrous iron atom in a haemaglobin molecule does this help?
also if sometihng is more permeable it will let more stuff pass through it
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
no this is a level, physics 5 to b exact.

love Katy ***
Rachellong
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Ok, what are u on about, cos I too do PHY5 - and I have no idea what u r on about...and with PHY6 being tomorrow, methink I may need to know this incase it comes up...

Rachel
xox
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
but if your phy6 is 2morw, it means youve sat physics 5, so you shouldnt really need to worry, i have my physics 5 2morw and 6 next week. it all depends what on your syllabus.

love Katy ***
Rachellong
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
I wanted to know cos synoptic means anything can come up...so thought it may be useful...
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
well i have no idea what its means, i know that relative perrmability is one of the constants given in the exam but i dunno how to define it, and i know that when you place a ferrous core in a solenoid the field increases, but i dont know how to actually calculate it. im supoes to b able to do both.

ops

love Katy ***
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
any one with any ideas???

love Katy ***
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i doubt you'd be asked a question like that. I am sure though that the magnetic field between the iron and the solenoid is a constant force and to measure the permeabilty, use a Hall Probe?? I'm just guessing here.
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Are you trying to answer a particular question? I'm at my desk with my A level textbook and my revision book, had a look in the index's but haven't seen anything that might help...

Ed
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
How about this formula:

BTW, u is supposed to an h upside down

B = u1 * u0 * nl

Where B = flux density
ur = relative permeability
u0 = permeability of free space (a constant)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
What board are you doing? I'm on Edexcel, and we don't need to know about relative permeability or iron core calculations. (Although the last post about B = m0 n I is what you might need, with m0 replaced with the permeability of iron)
Remember n = number of turns *per unit length* !
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
so if i put the permativity of iron( or whatever the ferrous core is made out of) instead of the permativity of free space. then it should work out. coz everythnigs the same except where there used to b air now theres iron.

as for defining relative perrmability, i still have no idea, its a constant and its value is given on the formula page so iono.

but im sitting wjec and its specified in the syllabus that im supeso to know it.

thanx to everyone whos offered advice

love Katy ***
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Best of luck with it. I'm doing OCR, otherwise I'd try and be a bit more helpful.
Mark Gillan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Katy,

Realtive Permeability ur is defined as:

ur = B/B0

Where Bo = The magnetic flux density of a region, and B is the new flux density after a substance has been introduced into a vacuum in that region.

About as clear as mud, but it's the best my ancient Physics textbook can do!

HTH
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
whooooo your a genius!!!

thanx
love Katy ***
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (312)
34.21%
No (600)
65.79%

Watched Threads