20 years later

Watch
Autistic Merit
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
What do you expect the big changes to be in that time?

(e.g. flying cars, cure for cancer, half the world destroyed by war, pandas extinct...)
Autistic Merit
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I expect some serious overpopulation problems.
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm expecting overpopulation problems as well. At some point we'll have to tackle it somehow to protect the environment.

Climate change and its effects will be even worse of a problem, especially if not enough is done to prevent it in that time.

The Scottish independence question might be raised again, depending on the actions of UK governments and what powers Scotland has.

Religion will continue to decline in the UK. With young people in particular leaning towards atheism and away from religion, it isn't an unrealistic prediction for the UK to have a strong majority of the population atheist in 20 years (the picture is a bit unclear right now I think).

Islamic extremism will still be a problem. Especially if there are violent uprisings/civil wars in any more Arab states.
Fry_Cook_of_Doom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
20 years from now I'll be an investment banker earning millions working in the City. Everything else is uncertain.
Miss Posh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Autistic Merit)
I expect some serious overpopulation problems.
What is your reasoning behind this claim? The United Nations (UN) predicts three population trends: the first of which is a gradual decline in birth rates; the second is no overall change in birth rates; the third is an increase in birth rates.

Attached files
Heartiste
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think vast numbers of our generation's women will be single or divorced, miserable and on anti-depressants, thanks to the poison of feminism encouraging them to behave like men rather than women in the prime of their life (focusing on education and careers, sleeping around, etc, rather than finding a decent husband ASAP, getting knocked up and being a good wife and mother).

I try to encourage women to make sensible decisions, but too many refuse to see reality instead claiming that it is sexist or misogynist. I look forward to all the schaudenfraude as feminists reap what they sow.
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Automation of various services, e.g. driving, accountancy, medical diagnoses, etc. Popularisation of digital currency. Significant increase in unemployment.
Fry_Cook_of_Doom
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Miss Posh)
What is your reasoning behind this claim? The United Nations (UN) predicts three population trends: the first of which is a gradual decline in birth rates; the second is no overall change in birth rates; the third is an increase in birth rates.
Spend a day walking through the streets of a city like Lagos or Mumbai and tell me if you can come to the conclusion that overpopulation isn't a serious issue.
Fry_Cook_of_Doom
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by miser)
Significant increase in unemployment.
Many people fifty years ago would have made the same prediction about the economy of the present day. It was hard to imagine a world where most people worked in the services industry.
Miss Posh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fry_Cook_of_Doom)
Spend a day walking through the streets of a city like Lagos or Mumbai and tell me if you can come to the conclusion that overpopulation isn't a serious issue.
I believe in statistics; in hard evidence; rather than meandering down streets and ignoring the larger picture. The UN study analyses the world, not one street on which anyone can stand and draw composition/division logical fallacies.
Fry_Cook_of_Doom
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I believe in statistics; in hard evidence; rather than meandering down streets and ignoring the larger picture. The UN study analyses the world, not one street on which anyone can stand and draw composition/division logical fallacies.
I believe in the statistics that tell me of the immense strain on sanitation and public services experienced by rapidly developing cities due to the burden of a growing population. Overpopulation isn't about the number of the people living on the planet Earth, which, to be honest, is of absolutely no concern. It's about the difficulty of providing for those people when some of them are packed into a tiny area.
Miss Posh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I believe in the statistics that tell me of the immense strain on sanitation and public services experienced by rapidly developing cities due to the burden of a growing population. Overpopulation isn't about the number of the people living on the planet Earth, which, to be honest, is of absolutely no concern. It's about the difficulty of providing for those people when some of them are packed into a tiny area.
So it seems I was confused between 'overpopulation' and 'population increase', as they are two different things. However, that doesn't mean that overpopulation is happening at the rate you seem to think it is. I still don't agree with your observation that observing overpopulation on one street means overpopulation is true for all streets. This is still a composition/division logical fallacy.

Although I will agree with your overpopulation observation if you provide me with the statistical evidence we both believe in.
Fry_Cook_of_Doom
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So it seems I was confused between 'overpopulation' and 'population increase', as they are two different things. However, that doesn't mean that overpopulation is happening at the rate you seem to think it is. I still don't agree with your observation that observing overpopulation on one street means overpopulation is true for all streets. This is still a composition/division logical fallacy.

Although I will agree with your overpopulation observation if you provide me with the statistical evidence we both believe in.
The post I made earlier was just an illustration, obviously you can't use a crowded street in a place like Tokyo to make sweeping judgments about overpopulation.

My evidence: year 9 geography :teehee:
Miss Posh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The post I made earlier was just an illustration, obviously you can't use a crowded street in a place like Tokyo to make sweeping judgments about overpopulation.

My evidence: year 9 geography :teehee:
There is no need to undermine me with that silly statement and smiley. My knowledge of geography comes from my experience of different cultures. A lot of travelling and a few documentaries.
miser
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Many people fifty years ago would have made the same prediction about the economy of the present day. It was hard to imagine a world where most people worked in the services industry.
Yep, you are quite right.
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Whigfield was number one 20 years ago I wonder what she thinks of the music nowadays?

And would the likes of Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj still be making music 20 years later?
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by shawn_o1)
Whigfield was number one 20 years ago I wonder what she thinks of the music nowadays?

And would the likes of Jessie J, Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj still be making music 20 years later?
Music videos will be so explicit that we'll be looking back at 'Anaconda' as belonging to a golden age...

unless Islamic State have taken over the world by then.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (103)
5.15%
Uncertainty around my education (301)
15.04%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (212)
10.59%
Lack of purpose or motivation (278)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (89)
4.45%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (114)
5.7%
Loneliness (175)
8.75%
Financial worries (72)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (88)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (94)
4.7%
Lack of real life entertainment (109)
5.45%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (177)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (189)
9.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed