The Student Room Group

Driving again 5 years after passing test - Nervous driver HELP!!!

Hi.

I passed my test 5 years ago (second time) with around 50 hours lessons over 6 months and no private practice (no own car!!) I was very confident, and LOVED driving.

I drove around 10 times in the five years since I passed. The first time I went out alone I stalled around 10 times on a hill and became very flustered. It completely spooked me and I vowed never to drive again.

This was around 3 years ago, my circumstances have changed and I now NEED a car. Ive got myself a lovely little car and have been taking it out alone to do the school run for the past 4 days but i'm complete nervous wreck. Its making me make ridiculous stupid mistakes. So i booked myself 4 hours of refresher lessons and had my first 2 hour lesson today.

I made some stupid mistakes and was a complete nervous wreck. The instructor said i was fine but I just felt like an absolute learner. I felt crap. If anything its made me feel worse..because I'm so angry I made mistakes and he had to use his controls. Ive lost all my confidence :frown:

I honeslty don't know what to do. It doesn't help that i have an expensive car that I'm scared stiff of ruining. Argh!!!! I can't see it ever getting better.

Anyone have any tips/advice/been in my situation?

Thanks so much :smile:
Confidence is key. I guarantee you're not as bad as you think you are! Doing the school run is probably not a good way to increase your confidence, as it can be stressful at the best of times - try driving around when it's less busy. It sounds trite, but you will get there. I was very nervous when I started too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you're doing the right thing with refreshers lessons since you've had such a long break between passing the test. I'd say stick with that and gradually you'll build up your confidence (which tends to have a huge effect) and brush up on some skills that you're a bit rusty on. Just be patient and you'll be driving like a pro in no time.

Also maybe driving on your own late at night/ early morning when the roads are a bit quieter for some practice without the instructor. Stalling isn't half as nerve wracking when there aren't cars beeping at you! =)
Reply 3
Lol thank you. Yes the first time I went down my sons school road (which is up a hill and full of traffic) I thought ''I'm in youknowwhat street without a paddle here'' So i avoid it and park down a massive road with loads of space. Me coping in complex situations doesn't seem to be giving me any confidence. I suppose it is just practice but did everyone else feel like this?
Reply 4
When I have driven anywhere Im constantly thinking about how I'm going to cope on the way back the whole time I am there!! Anyone else had refresher lessons and if so how many did you need?

Many thanks :smile:
Original post by Ornais
Hi.

I passed my test 5 years ago (second time) with around 50 hours lessons over 6 months and no private practice (no own car!!) I was very confident, and LOVED driving.

I drove around 10 times in the five years since I passed. The first time I went out alone I stalled around 10 times on a hill and became very flustered. It completely spooked me and I vowed never to drive again.

This was around 3 years ago, my circumstances have changed and I now NEED a car. Ive got myself a lovely little car and have been taking it out alone to do the school run for the past 4 days but i'm complete nervous wreck. Its making me make ridiculous stupid mistakes. So i booked myself 4 hours of refresher lessons and had my first 2 hour lesson today.

I made some stupid mistakes and was a complete nervous wreck. The instructor said i was fine but I just felt like an absolute learner. I felt crap. If anything its made me feel worse..because I'm so angry I made mistakes and he had to use his controls. Ive lost all my confidence :frown:

I honeslty don't know what to do. It doesn't help that i have an expensive car that I'm scared stiff of ruining. Argh!!!! I can't see it ever getting better.

You are doing the right thing in getting refresher lessons.
Try going out in your own car when its quieter on the roads, as that might help.
And keep at it, you will get there.
Reply 6
I have been driving for 9 months and I was utterly pooping myself every drive at first I still do sometimes so I see how you feel, the best recommendation I would have is to do what I did and get more road practice by starting to go to places that are relatively close but still a bit of travelling on different types of road and in different conditions then gradually over time going further a field to build my confidence.

As for the school run I say park where you find convenient, until you feel fairly confident enough to park closer/ on the school road, I would still recommend that given you car is expensive you keep within a distance you are happy that your car should not sustain any damage.

Confidence will come with practice and time so don’t worry about it chick/dude.
Reply 7
I'm so glad that I've seen this post (months later!) I passed my test three years ago and recently did refresher lessons.. The instructor I passed with was amazing but the refresher one made me feel stupid and was really belittling... I was confident but now I'm terrified of making mistakes.. Please tell me it gets better?! :frown:
It is really good that you are taking refresher lessons :smile:
You passed the test you do have the ability!

You just need to build up your confidence like everyone else has said. I dont know how long you have had your car, but just driving it for the school run for a few days isnt very fair on you. School runs can be busy lots of traffic kids everywhere. The longer you have your car the more comfortable you will be driving it. Hillstarts are very easy just remember to use your handbrake and find the biting point, but remember you are on a hill so you have to give a little more than you would on a flat surface.

As soon as you are comfortable driving during quieter times. Go into town when its busy and have some practice with your instructor first and than on your own! When a rider has a bad fall off a horse their confidence takes a knock aswell, just take a deep breath ok and relax dont get stressed out about it.

I dont want to be negative but if you only ever had lessons before and just driven with an instructor you need to be confident about driving on your own in every situation. In winter time it might be a good idea to have a lesson in the snow? :smile:
Original post by Ornais
Hi.

Firstly, don't worry about having an expensive car. You're insured.

I suggest asking your instructor to recommend local areas that are quiet, and what the best times are. It's tricky to practice night driving at this time of year, but if you happen to up at 1-3am and not tired, then it might be worth taking the car out for a little drive when the roads are empty.

Confidence is key - the more nervous you become, the more mistakes you make, and it's a vicious cycle. If you make a mistake, just pull over, stop turn the engine off, take a breath, then start again on a clean slate with yourself. You might have to do this a few times, doesn't matter. Just relax, don't over-think things, and the rest will follow.

:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Ornais
Lol thank you. Yes the first time I went down my sons school road (which is up a hill and full of traffic) I thought ''I'm in youknowwhat street without a paddle here'' So i avoid it and park down a massive road with loads of space. Me coping in complex situations doesn't seem to be giving me any confidence. I suppose it is just practice but did everyone else feel like this?

Why would you need a paddle in a street?

Latest