eeyjl6
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi! I just want to figure out does this major (information security ) need to face computer everyday and write programs day and night using all kinds of different programming languages?
Actually, I'm not computer science guy. My bachelor degree is about electric and control Engineering.
Some of my modules involved software design and programming. I learned how to write programs using C++. Not just a little bit, we finished the Object-Oriented Programming (Class things). And it turns out that i am quite good at logical things.
But if this major is all about programming, I think i may go down compared with computer science guy. In this position, I'd like to choose MSc major in electric or something.

This is all my concern.

Thank you very much if you can give me some advise, i am lost!
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
J_Ly
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, just in case people run into this thread

You don't need to know program everyday, depending on the course you choose, you probably won't program that much. You won't be programming full fledged software, but more algorithmic type problems such as elliptic curve, maybe integer factorisation algorithms, but not THAT much honestly. Some useful programming you will need to know is definitely python and c. There are some projects which needs to know machine learning and (in your case) electrical engineering and hardware knowledge, so you are more than suited. Look at side channel attack if you are interested in the cryptanalysis side (code breaking)

For one of the compulsory module compsec II you will need to know how to use linux, wireshark, understanding of tcp/udp and IP but those are taught from the bottom up, so you don't need to worry.
sebast93
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by J_Ly)
Well, just in case people run into this thread

You don't need to know program everyday, depending on the course you choose, you probably won't program that much. You won't be programming full fledged software, but more algorithmic type problems such as elliptic curve, maybe integer factorisation algorithms, but not THAT much honestly. Some useful programming you will need to know is definitely python and c. There are some projects which needs to know machine learning and (in your case) electrical engineering and hardware knowledge, so you are more than suited. Look at side channel attack if you are interested in the cryptanalysis side (code breaking)

For one of the compulsory module compsec II you will need to know how to use linux, wireshark, understanding of tcp/udp and IP but those are taught from the bottom up, so you don't need to worry.

Your message is very much appreciated. I've been looking in the forums for information about the MSc information Security bur it seems that people don't talk too much about it, maybe you're right and there is not too much interest in the program?

I applied to the program to start this September but haven't received a reply yet. Is that a bad sign? It's been 7 weeks and nothing my application shows "under assesment". I'm a little worried since I am an electrical engineer, and not a CS major, but I hold a Java Programming certification so I hope that helps. However my toefl scores are not what UCL requested. Unfortunately I didn't have time to retake the test before the deadline. I comply with the 100 mark since I got a 103, but I didn't score 24/30 in writting as requested and got a 22/30 instead.

The wait is killing me, from your experience do you think I have a shot to be accepted?

I graduated from electrical engineering with a GPA of 3.65, worked two years a software consultant (non security software), and took 3 courses in Ethical hacking, Digital Forensics, and web hacking
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (341)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (270)
44.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed