Solomon Islands

Somalia, South Africa

Soviet Union, Spain

Sweden, Switzerland

Syria, Thailand, Tunisia

Turkey

United States

Vietnam, Yugoslavia
    Weren't Nepal involved somehow? Gurkhas? Not sure about Bhutan. Sudan?

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as I'm departing the US for an indeterminate period of time, I'll tell you what I WON'T miss about the States:

-Big, Massive, Gas guzzling cars & SUVs that don't even fit into normal parking spaces in the city...

-Living in a place where public transport isn't just for those too poor to afford a car (I'm in the Suburbs... I know it's a bit different in the city.)

-Living in a place where you NEED a car to go anywhere, b/c if you tried walking or riding your bike you'll either be a) run over by the above mentioned giant cars or b) your destination is so far away that it'd take all day to even arrive

-Living in a place where one meal at a restaurant is enough food to feed me for a week (doggy bag please!) and sitting next to some v. large people who finish their plate clean. (I actually can't wait to be in a country where I can finish my meal... American's complain that in Europe the portions are too small, but in fact they're just right, if you have a reasonable BMI, unlike 70% or something of Americans)

-The shopping, is a mixed blessing... I will miss having access to cheap clothes, etc. but I won't miss the culture of shopping and the American shopping mall. I realise that Britain has shopping as well, but I'm hoping it's not the only activity for a large number of people

-Oh my gosh... I haven't even started on the media or politics... I may be here all night...

-Crap media, in particular Fox and all the other rubbish local broadcasts that consider the day's news to be one or all of the following: a) a house fire in south chicago b) a shooting in south chicago c) a car accident, again usually in south chicago (I get my news primarily from the BBC world news, or NPR, which isn't too bad... funny though... half of it's British!)

-George Bush!

-Living in a country that 'elected' George Bush

-The religious right

-The fact that half of Americans are as conservative and religious as the current admin (This is not nec. statistically accurate... just my estimation)

I'm sure I could come up with a million more reasons... and finally when people say to me, 'well if you don't like America so much why don't you just get out', I can say that I am!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Weren't Nepal involved somehow? Gurkhas? Not sure about Bhutan. Sudan?
    Sudan as part of the Commonwealth would have been involved. Don't forget the battles in North Africa where Rommel, the Desert Fox was finally defeated. Most of the fighting was in Egypt and quite possibly in Sudan or at least not far. Without bases in Sudan, it would have been difficult for Montgomery to defeat Rommel at El Alamein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    I think the British are half infatuated and half irritated with Americans and America.

'scuse me for stereoyping but this is why i think Americans are annoying...

1)they say things like... 'We staying in Wales, in England.' (or just refer to everywhere in Britain as 'Europe'). 'I LOVE your accent - it's so charming'. 'pardon me sir, which way is the bathroom?' 'Wow, it was just awesome', 'i have a question', 'have a nice day, now'. 'my bad!"
    - Don't know why but it all grates like nails against a blackboard.
    2)They think England is a 3rd world country compared to the Land of Opportunity e.g. "I cant help what my family has, and that is the case with most Americans."
    3) They are extremely self-promoting "In fact, I am in excellent shape."
    4) They miss the obvious - "I also feel that the media does not help to project a "true image" of our country." The image of America that saturates the British media is in fact generated by America in the first place.
    5)They have a distorted sense of their own importance (the world series, anyone?) e.g. "The Revolution happened over a hundred years ago, and none of us were alive to see it." Er, if we're honest, luv only 1% of Brits would have a clue what happened anyway - seriously, we don't hold a grudge.
    6) they have the American Dream - say no more.
    I'd add that they're loud (go to the US and you hear everyone on their mobile shouting out their life story), excessively self-confident (though you mentioned that), have very weird moral values when it comes to sex and other forms of sex..., know very little about their own history or any other nation's history and most of their knowledge comes from Hollywood movies, spend more time in front of the TV than in the classroom during their youth so every American pictures himself as a character in a classy teen series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)

i also have a few books on the War of 1812 - which as you mentioned before, the battle of Quebec was a fantastic one - Sir Isaac Brock defended Canada and made the Americans surrender without one casualty,

...and i think you mean Confederates rather than Confederationists
    It's funny how the Battle of 1812 is seen as a victory for Canada and Canadian freedom whereas Americans see it as the war that confirmed their independence and they believe they beat the Brits I believe there was an awfully bloody war in New Orleans in 1814 where the Brits were crushed, after falling into a trap.
    It seems that the war of 1812 didn't have the aim of recapturing the US but to scare them. What's weird is that on several occasions, the Brits captured land (Washington for example) only to abandon it as they had been told not to defend any captured land.
    If there hadn't been war in Europe, who knows how that war might have ended...

ReputationRep:
    I'm really torn when I write replies to comments like these. On one hand, I feel like I need to defend the country I live in, but on the other hand, I'm a total anglophile.

I think the British are half infatuated and half irritated with Americans and America.

'scuse me for stereoyping but this is why i think Americans are annoying...

1)they say things like... 'We staying in Wales, in England.' (or just refer to everywhere in Britain as 'Europe'). 'I LOVE your accent - it's so charming'. 'pardon me sir, which way is the bathroom?' 'Wow, it was just awesome', 'i have a question', 'have a nice day, now'. 'my bad!"
    - Don't know why but it all grates like nails against a blackboard.
    Welcome to the reality of meeting people from other countries.

Do you know American geography? You probably don't know what state the grand canyon is in.

As for our expressions and our slang, what did you expect? Did you expect Americans to be EXACTLY like you, with the same slang words and the same expressions? What do you think inserting the word "bloody" into your sentences sounds like to us?

I'm not knocking the UK at all. If I couldn't live in the USA, I'd be there faster than you can say "fish and chips". I'm just trying to give you a sense of perspective. There is a lot about you that "grates like nails against a blackboard" to a close-minded individual visiting from another country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I'm really torn when I write replies to comments like these. On one hand, I feel like I need to defend the country I live in, but on the other hand, I'm a total anglophile.

Do you know American geography? You probably don't know what state the grand canyon is in.

As for our expressions and our slang, what did you expect? Did you expect Americans to be EXACTLY like you, with the same slang words and the same expressions? What do you think inserting the word "bloody" into your sentences sounds like to us?

I'm not knocking the UK at all. If I couldn't live in the USA, I'd be there faster than you can say "fish and chips". I'm just trying to give you a sense of perspective. There is a lot about you that "grates like nails against a blackboard" to a close-minded individual visiting from another country.
    Firstly Arizona, and to be fair to her she she was just giving her honest opinon of what annoys her about Americans, the thread is why do uk citizens dislike Americasn and whilst they may be not the best reasons they are what was asked for in the thread - you cant really tell someone what they should and should not be annoyed by

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    Firstly Arizona, and to be fair to her she she was just giving her honest opinon of what annoys her about Americans, the thread is why do uk citizens dislike Americasn and whilst they may be not the best reasons they are what was asked for in the thread - you cant really tell someone what they should and should not be annoyed by
    Her reasons for not liking Americans could be applied to any country in the world. It seemed very petty and I felt compelled to respond, but I see your point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    which, for the same reasons, is why Made_In_America has every right to point this opinion out as rather shallow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    your mate is a fool.
    How come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    How come?
    "According to my mate (who hates Americans), they shouldn't feel so cocky towards us. The only reason that they won the war of Independence is cos we couldn't be bothered sending over our best troops."

ReputationRep:
    Americans on the whole are very nice people. I don't think that people actualy dislike the American public but rather other things such as Corporate America and American Foreign Policy.

For example one thing that really annoys me is the Cuban Missile Crisis:
    The crisis came about because the Soviets were placing tactical nuclear weapons in Cuba. However America had already placed missiles in Turkey - this is EXACTLY the same thing - 1 rule for us another rule for everyone else.

Then the Soviets shot down a spy plane. The spy plane was invading Cuban air space (in preparation for an invasion) - this is an act of war in itself. As yourselves this - would the Americans accept spy planes over American soil or would they shoot them down?

However like I said the American people are VERY nice people (or so has been my experience of them) and its just things like the above that the world see and not the true face of the American public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Americans on the whole are very nice people. I don't think that people actualy dislike the American public but rather other things such as Corporate America and American Foreign Policy.
    corporate america or capitalist america?
    american foreign policy or the fact that they are the only superpower?

For example one thing that really annoys me is the Cuban Missile Crisis:
    The crisis came about because the Soviets were placing tactical nuclear weapons in Cuba. However America had already placed missiles in Turkey - this is EXACTLY the same thing - 1 rule for us another rule for everyone else.
    what rule?

Then the Soviets shot down a spy plane. The spy plane was invading Cuban air space (in preparation for an invasion) - this is an act of war in itself. As yourselves this - would the Americans accept spy planes over American soil or would they shoot them down?
    shoot them down. whats the difference?

ReputationRep:
    what rule?
    I think what is meant is that the cuban missle crisis came about because the americans were pissed because it was against the "rules" (not sure if that is the right word) to put missiles right next to the USA mainland. However america had missiles right next to russia. Thie wasn't really fair. But it was a long time ago.

shoot them down. whats the difference?
    That the Americans made a big fuss when the Soviets shot down one of their planes when they would do the same thing if a soviet was in their airspace. Again it is a long time in the past but I get the point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think what is meant is that the cuban missle crisis came about because the americans were pissed because it was against the "rules" (not sure if that is the right word) to put missiles right next to the USA mainland.
    they were threatened by Soviet missiles in Cuba, the Soviets were threatened by US Jupiter missiles in Turkey. where are the double standards?

However america had missiles right next to russia. Thie wasn't really fair. But it was a long time ago.
    during the Cold war. wars arent fair.

That the Americans made a big fuss when the Soviets shot down one of their planes when they would do the same thing if a soviet was in their airspace. Again it is a long time in the past but I get the point
    it was in cuban airspace. what big fuss? the big fuss that US security was threatened? oh how terrible, all that fuss over some little nuclear weapons.

ReputationRep:
    they were threatened by Soviet missiles in Cuba, the Soviets were threatened by US Jupiter missiles in Turkey. where are the double standards?
    The fact that America wouldn't let the soviets put the missiles there.

it was in cuban airspace. what big fuss? the big fuss that US security was threatened? oh how terrible, all that fuss over some little nuclear weapons.
    The cubans were allies of the Russians and America were spying one them. If the Russians were spying on the Americans allies the Americans would get involved. The Americans have more nuclear wepons than any other country so yes nuclear wepons are worrying but it is the Americans who have the most so surely we should be worried about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    The fact that America wouldn't let the soviets put the missiles there.
    eh? like the British wouldnt let Hitler across the channel?

The cubans were allies of the Russians and America were spying one them.
    they were spying on construction of Soviet missile sites. beside the point anyway.

If the Russians were spying on the Americans allies the Americans would get involved.
    yes, again, its a war, tit for tat, wheres the double standard?!

The Americans have more nuclear wepons than any other country so yes nuclear wepons are worrying but it is the Americans who have the most so surely we should be worried about them.
    why, we're on their side? and they have a multitude of purposes, not least, to protect the citizens of Europe.

ReputationRep:
    The scum, pro muslims that do hate America do not realise that we are sister states and our two great nations will only excel if we remove these traitors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)

Look the threadstarted asked why americans are annoying and i gave my opinion, the point is i'd know the Grand Canyon isn't in Canada. As for the slang, i couldn't give a bloody toss if you spoke exactly the bloody same way as us or bloody not - I'd still probably think it was more irritating than eczema. And i'm not 'closed-minded' of course i realise it's stupid to be irritated by a whole group of people, especially when everyone's different at the end of the day but national stereotypes are there for a reason and so forgive me for thinking the stereotypical American is an utter arse... sorry *******. x

ReputationRep:
    Look the threadstarted asked why americans are annoying and i gave my opinion, the point is i'd know the Grand Canyon isn't in Canada. As for the slang, i couldn't give a bloody toss if you spoke exactly the bloody same way as us or bloody not - I'd still probably think it was more irritating than eczema. And i'm not 'closed-minded' of course i realise it's stupid to be irritated by a whole group of people, especially when everyone's different at the end of the day but national stereotypes are there for a reason and so forgive me for thinking the stereotypical American is an utter arse... sorry *******. x
    The average person is an utter arse. I personally do not ahve a very good opinion about teh average Sweede (And I am Swedish) but that doesnt mean I hate Sweden and blaim the country for everything thats wrong in the world.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.