Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    *******. x
    is that a nickname or your parents humour?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    The average person is an utter arse. I personally do not ahve a very good opinion about teh average Sweede (And I am Swedish) but that doesnt mean I hate Sweden and blaim the country for everything thats wrong in the world.
    when did i blame Americans for everything that's wrong in the world? I just think they're a tad irritating on a personal rather than politcal level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    is that a nickname or your parents humour?
    LOL touche

ReputationRep:
    I believe one characteristic of the American national character that makes them so annoying to Europeans, is their excessive enthusiasm and confidence and their extravertedness (?).

Everything is so explicit in American culture whereas we poor Europeans love to keep things implicit: a typical American will say what he thinks even when it might not be a good idea.

Americans are brought up believing that they're special, that they're a great person...this seems to stay with them all their life. When I was in primary school, if you were crap in a subject it simply meant that you sucked and you knew it. In the US, it would be unthinkable to reveal to a young kid that he doesn't excel in a certain area and even if he didn't, they'd find away to make him believe, it makes him even great, even more special.
    When I worked in the US, a colleague of mine took me to his daughter's pre-school class. I was amazed at what these kids were told "We're all very special. I'm the best. We love Mummy, Daddy, God, everyone...", anyone who says anything else doesn't know what they're talking about.

Excessive confidence can be really annoying. To prove to an American that he's wrong can be quite a chore. He won't be convinced that his idea is right because of the arguments he can present to you, but only because it's HIS idea. After debating for several hours and proving that they're wrong, they'll just shrug their shoulders and say "Maybe you're right...".

When you meet an American, he'll be, what we consider excessively open. He or she will start talking to you like an old friend, tell you loads of personal stuff and the next day, they might not even say hello.

ReputationRep:
    i seriously think every one should jus forget wut they know, and just get along. we as americans dont have stuff in our ears, i dont know who you have heard talk loudly, but there are many that dont. if we do, then we appologize and recognize where we are, and that its disrespectful. we dont post things like frog heads about the french and yes there are some pig headed people here, that are jus plain dumb. im a student ambassador, i went to england back in 2001 before 9/11 and it seamed nicer there than it is here, not a single person was rude, but when i was in france they hated us, which i didnt mind, cause you know, stuff happens. but why go on about the revolutionary war. it was back like 200 years ago, over tea and taxes. i mean hell, our government is doing it to our selves, mew your put a tax on lattes and some coffee. but not on tea, caus eits awsome. you guys should have taxed coffee back then, then we might still be together. but thats in the past. and the media just twists things, after you stay with a british family,live in there house, eat the same food, talk and excange things in each culture, you get to know them very well, and they enjoyed my company , they inviedte me to come back if i wanted to stay in england some time. i liked it, it was a very pleasing thing.

and just out of curiosity wut wuold you think the past have been shaped if we were still together as one country? any replies to that would be great!

ReputationRep:
    were not special at all, we just are very optomistic. i mean like if we are dumb as dirt, we dont want to show ant weekness, cause it makes us sad.
    being sad is a bad thing, and i like your guys ssense of humor, like monty python, do you guys like that any way, im asking because i know the ausies hate the guy who is the crocodile hunter, i hate him too, he makes the ausies look like there stupid and fight crocs all the time. some of the sense of humor you guys have is funny to me, and a few of my friends. but some people are not as open minded. we dont go around walking up to people and telling them a life story, we only like to try to get personal with beautiful women, you brits would hate it if i said" we like to get personal with hot girls"
    that would sound dogish, and rude. there is a difference, some people are educated on the idea of manners. and about the idea of arguing for the sake of arguing, its a way to make conversation( just a little joke) we know wut we know, and you know wut you know, so why not put them together instead of beating up each other with wut we know.

and as i ssaid before what do you think the world would be like now if we were still a country? form back in the day of collonies to present. it would be great if you could reply to this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Americans are brought up believing that they're special, that they're a great person...this seems to stay with them all their life. When I was in primary school, if you were crap in a subject it simply meant that you sucked and you knew it. In the US, it would be unthinkable to reveal to a young kid that he doesn't excel in a certain area and even if he didn't, they'd find away to make him believe, it makes him even great, even more special..
    this runs counter to my experience of the american love and acceptance of competition. you may be accepted for being you and your strengths, but the idea of competition is inherent in everything. it is difficult to tell an american they are wrong because of the challenge. europeans are extremely uncomfortable with open competition.

im not sure you actually know a great deal of americans because these sound like stereotypes lifted from a some Intercultural Relations course book.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose I should put in my two pence worth of why I have a stupid dislike of Americans

The only thing that gets me is the 'America is great and everyone wants to be like us' mentality...obviously not all Americans have it but whenever theres a sound-bite of the American public on the news they always just say, ' America is so great and we're trying to help the rest of the world have the great freedom we enjoy etc....oh and the American south, which i know is over stereotyped but the evangelist republican, gun totting image isnt particualary attractive and doesnt really serve the idea that America are an example to the world

just annoys me....but i do lke Americans really, funniest people around by a long way....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    this runs counter to my experience of the american love and acceptance of competition. you may be accepted for being you and your strengths, but the idea of competition is inherent in everything. it is difficult to tell an american they are wrong because of the challenge. europeans are extremely uncomfortable with open competition.

im not sure you actually know a great deal of americans because these sound like stereotypes lifted from a some Intercultural Relations course book.
    Have you seen the grading system in the US? There is virtually no grading system whatsoever until a much more advanced age than in any other country. Whenever people have tried to change the system, the advocates of the grading system have said "But it will affect these kids and demoralize them". On the contrary, the idea is to promote competition by helping kids believe in themselves.
    However, not sure you've noticed that in the US, this doesn't stop them from being very selective when it comes to sports and other activities: you don't participate in the baseball or the lacrosse team because you like those sports, only because you're good at them.

Lived several years in Cambridge (near Boston), Mass. I even got a tad bit of the accent that stuck onto my English accent. Sorry if you don't like these facts.
    And yes, I have read books on the American national character so that would explain why some of my ideas sound so well formulated. A lot of them aren't my ideas. But I've been able to notice that there is so much truth in them.
    You're saying that if these ideas were from a course, they'd be discredited. On the contrary, if they're not just simple deductions from personal experience, they have some importance...

Geoffrey Gorer wrote a great book called The Americans but it's quite old (from the 50s). A lot of it is still true.
    For lazier readers, there's always the Xenophone's Guide to The Americans (lol).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    I suppose I should put in my two pence worth of why I have a stupid dislike of Americans

The only thing that gets me is the 'America is great and everyone wants to be like us' mentality...obviously not all Americans have it but whenever theres a sound-bite of the American public on the news they always just say, ' America is so great and we're trying to help the rest of the world have the great freedom we enjoy etc....oh and the American south, which i know is over stereotyped but the evangelist republican, gun totting image isnt particualary attractive and doesnt really serve the idea that America are an example to the world

just annoys me....but i do lke Americans really, funniest people around by a long way....
    Not that funny. A lot of their best comedians are Canadians: Jim Carey, Mike Myers, Martin Short, Eugene Levy, John Candy...

ReputationRep:
    Not that funny. A lot of their best comedians are Canadians: Jim Carey, Mike Myers, Martin Short, Eugene Levy, John Candy...
    I meant funny in the same way as the div kid at school who wets his pants is funny...

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they have this self-confidence boosting stuff has anything to do with their suicide rate? Probably not, just a thought. There was something about a girl who committed suicide in England due to pressure from exams or something, and may be this could be the case? Mind you, if they cared that much about human life they would have to change their gun laws I guess.

Edo-kun, people like bringing up the past about the revolutionary war since other people have done it with a war involving Britain. Two can play at that game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Mind you, if they cared that much about human life they would have to change their gun laws I guess.
    You are right!

We would have to change the gun laws to show how much we care about innocent human life. We would have to make gun control laws more liberal. Thirty-one states allow registered citizens to carry concealed weapons. All 50 states should allow this.

These 31 states, on average have:

-A 19 percent lower murder rate than other states
    -A 24 percent lower violent crime rate
    -39 percent lower robbery rate than other states

ReputationRep:
    gun laws. hmmm i saw something on the news about that. yea you are less likely to get mug'd. like for example some old lady having a magnum. no one would even try. Also there is a competitive system to education, if you have the money and can afford to go, then you go, (that was a little joke). seriously if you come form a dirty poor family, and are of the lowest of low. you dont want to be like your parents. sorry the futal system went out long ago. thats why we believe in our children. if we dont back them and they are too young to understand there own self confidence, then they may never be that scientist that wants to grow up and find a cure for all the illnesses in the world. they could be the scientist that could save your life, now sleep on that one. thats what i dont get in other countries, you guys are like " ok, your poor, because your parents were""and your rich because your parents were too". see its one of those things as it sounds wrong because thats what the people before you think too. so thats why i say, drop what you know about people, and learn to know eachother as if you were friends for a long time. because its just a pain in the ass to go fight for something thats stupid. rebel damn it! be friends to all, thats why child hood innocents its pure and they get along no matter what, because thats a good thing, if we dont work together, we might as well all die, right? that does not mean go commit suicide. also why couldnt people be open-minded and want to learn more about cultures, just because they dont fit with your life style.

and we are not funny because we are just the way we are, cossack. this may sound a bit harsh, but look at your name, cossack. thats all i gota say, look at your name.

Why would people want to live in poverty, and being on the verge of dieing every day, instead of being at a great advantage to them selves. to be different to the past. im not saying totaly change. i mean like know where you came form, keep your religion, and beliefes, even if they contradict some one else. but we all share one thing, dreams. we all dream of something. follow that dream, with out smashing some one elses. we can learn to benifit from each other.

this is when life should be like an anime, nothing bad ever happens in a good anime.^_^

ReputationRep:
    where did everyone go?

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen the grading system in the US? There is virtually no grading system whatsoever until a much more advanced age than in any other country. Whenever people have tried to change the system, the advocates of the grading system have said "But it will affect these kids and demoralize them". On the contrary, the idea is to promote competition by helping kids believe in themselves.
    However, not sure you've noticed that in the US, this doesn't stop them from being very selective when it comes to sports and other activities: you don't participate in the baseball or the lacrosse team because you like those sports, only because you're good at them.

Lived several years in Cambridge (near Boston), Mass. I even got a tad bit of the accent that stuck onto my English accent. Sorry if you don't like these facts.
    And yes, I have read books on the American national character so that would explain why some of my ideas sound so well formulated. A lot of them aren't my ideas. But I've been able to notice that there is so much truth in them.
    You're saying that if these ideas were from a course, they'd be discredited. On the contrary, if they're not just simple deductions from personal experience, they have some importance...

Geoffrey Gorer wrote a great book called The Americans but it's quite old (from the 50s). A lot of it is still true.
    For lazier readers, there's always the Xenophone's Guide to The Americans (lol).
    I'll wake up this dead thread. Besides, I like topics pertaining to the United States.

They must be doing something right in our schools because these students grow up and become much more productive than their European counterparts.

Massachusetts is arguably the most liberal state in the United States. Just about everyone that I know that has been there (including myself) has had some trouble getting acclimated. Perhaps, in the lower grades, there may be more concern about the students being demoralized, but it's definitely not true after elementary school. Massachusetts has some the most prestigous universities in the world, such as Harvard and MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology).

As far as the grading system goes, unless this was a private school in MA, there is a grading system. Young students are tested every week or more, and the tests are graded. In my elementary school (I am still in my 20s, so it was not that long ago) we were very competitive. All of the kids would compete with each other to see who could get higher grades on our spelling and math tests. "Report Cards" were given out several times a year and students were not just graded on subjects, but were also graded on things like handwriting. The grading system in my elementary school used different letters on the report cards than the Colleges/Universities, High Schools, and Middle Schools, but that's the only real difference. High Schools, Colleges/Universities, and Middle Schools use, from best to worst, A, B, C, D, F

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen the grading system in the US? There is virtually no grading system whatsoever (lol).

"As far as the grading system goes, unless this was a private school in MA, there is a grading system. Young students are tested every week or more, and the tests are graded. In my elementary school (I am still in my 20s, so it was not that long ago) we were very competitive. All of the kids would compete with each other to see who could get higher grades on our spelling and math tests. "Report Cards" were given out several times a year and students were not just graded on subjects, but were also graded on things like handwriting. The grading system in my elementary school used different letters on the report cards than the Colleges/Universities, High Schools, and Middle Schools, but that's the only real difference. High Schools, Colleges/Universities, and Middle Schools use, from best to worst, A, B, C, D,"

which ones?

And yes, I have read books on the American national character so that would explain why some of my ideas sound so well formulated...there's always the Xenophone's Guide to The Americans
    erm...ok!

ReputationRep:
    hey, we all come form one place or another. our **** kicks ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the most random stupid american jabber ever<--this is.

I don't hate Americans.

ReputationRep:
    i dont hate any set group of people.

it just happens that the leader of america isn't the most popular person ever, and since he is the one in the spotlight most of the time, people see what he wants as what the masses in the US want.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.