Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Made in the USA)
    Many of the European posters don't know the first thing about the United States. This whole forum is filled with distortions, misrepresentations, and outright lies.

I would be really surprised if the majority of Europeans weren't knowledgable about all the countries Europe is comprised of. Europe is a small continent and is several times smaller than the United States, so it is very easy to visit a variety of different countries due to their close proximity.
    I'm actually stunned at how little the European poster knows about the U.S.

The exception of course, being Vienna

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit hypocritical and relative; you could say the same thing the other way around - "I'm actually stunned at how little the American poster knows about Europe"

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, three main reasons that people dislike Americans (if they do dislike Americans) are

a) Because the American culture is so prevalent. You know how sometimes you can hate a song, you used to like because it was so overplayed. Well I think that's kind of the way a lot of people feel about the Americans. Ok perhaps not the best analogy. The fact that short of becoming a hermit, it's hard to avoid any evidence of American culture and I think some people resent America for this.

b) Americans in general seem to be more patriotic and it can sometimes come off as seeming arrogant or xenophobic. I remember during the olympics that when there were interviews with some of the American sports people and the crowd would start chanting "USA! USA!" And I know a lot of people who were pissed off by that.

c) A lot of people dislike Bush and blame the Americans for voting him into power.

I personally don't dislike the Americans. The three reasons I've stated above, are the reasons why people (or at least the people I've talked to) seem to dislike the Americans. Most people I know don't dislike the Americans, they just like making fun of the stereotypical American.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daiquiri)
    That's a bit hypocritical and relative; you could say the same thing the other way around - "I'm actually stunned at how little the American poster knows about Europe"
    which is exactly the point myself and no doubt others like Made In USA and Douglas are trying to make. the difference being, I cant ever remember an American criticising a European for not knowing the first thing about the US or his culture. could you say the same thing the other way around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelica)
    From my experience, three main reasons that people dislike Americans (if they do dislike Americans) are

a) Because the American culture is so prevalent. You know how sometimes you can hate a song, you used to like because it was so overplayed. Well I think that's kind of the way a lot of people feel about the Americans. Ok perhaps not the best analogy. The fact that short of becoming a hermit, it's hard to avoid any evidence of American culture and I think some people resent America for this.

b) Americans in general seem to be more patriotic and it can sometimes come off as seeming arrogant or xenophobic. I remember during the olympics that when there were interviews with some of the American sports people and the crowd would start chanting "USA! USA!" And I know a lot of people who were pissed off by that.

c) A lot of people dislike Bush and blame the Americans for voting him into power.

I personally don't dislike the Americans. The three reasons I've stated above, are the reasons why people (or at least the people I've talked to) seem to dislike the Americans. Most people I know don't dislike the Americans, they just like making fun of the stereotypical American.
    but are these reasons justified. they may well be reasons, but they are all rather pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    And please, take some time to read the survey before criticizing. The National Geographic is a world-renowned source of information.
    im sure it is.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's wrong to generalize any sort of people - whether it be Europeans criticising Americans or the other way around.

But you can still, to some extent, make valid claims about a general populace given you back up your claims.

Like saying Americans are fat. Perhaps a link to an obesity study giving statistics would reinforce your claim.

I agree that American posters don't know nearly as much about Europe as Europeans do. However we don't spend our time criticizing Europeans.
    In fact, as I see it, most Americans like Europeans, and in particular, the Brits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Why should anyone care about the population estimate? It seems like a pointless fact to memorize. I can't think of a practical purpose for knowing that
    That's true. But any American who thinks that the population of the US is between 1 & 2 billion can be considered retarded in my opinion. Duh!

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of singling out the US or any other country for being populated by especially stupid people I do think the NG survey is absoilutely shocking.

What in God's name do they teach in schools? I've never seen such a selection of piss easy questions. (How can you not be able to point to the Pacific Ocean on a map?)

Should the teachers of the world all be rounded up and flogged?

ReputationRep:
    US system of education was crippled by inadequate resources, trained professionals and a distinct lack of process to evaluate educational ability and the amount students were learning. Bush is spending more and reforming but Kerry will really push through the reforms that the US education system needs to become one in which pupils can learn about the rest of the world, through history, sociology, politics and geography etc.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, ok - I think I'll say what most of us Europeans struggle to come to terms with.

A lot of Europeans are simply jealous of the power that America holds, and so in an attempt to cover such a base emotional reaction, they study America critically and pick out things that they really don't like.

After all, how could a formerly quiescent colony of a European power (Europeans were used to holding all the power until the mid 19th Century) suddenly rise up and become a powerful state in so short a space of time - more powerful than the historical and cultural centre of Europe, whilst those very European nations fought bitterly amongst themselves for territory and wealth, and simply because the peoples of Europe had an entrenched hatred of each other.

I think that this is the reason that us Europeans harbour such jealousy/righteous(?) hatred towards America. It is something that we would rather not admit, but it is there - lurking somewhere in the subconscious of nearly every one of us.

(Sorry if that sounded a little lyrical and jumbled/confused - I didn't proof read it.)

(Original post by USUK1)
    US system of education was crippled by inadequate resources, trained professionals and a distinct lack of process to evaluate educational ability and the amount students were learning. Bush is spending more and reforming but Kerry will really push through the reforms that the US education system needs to become one in which pupils can learn about the rest of the world, through history, sociology, politics and geography etc.
    WRONG !! The Democrats have thrown billions into the education system, with zero results. Even Bush's "no child left behind" is not working. Kerry will throw another billion into this wasteless heap of crap, to satisfy the National Education Association which are all liberals.

What we need is discipline and getting back to the basics, like reading, writing, arithmetic and geography.
    What the kids are getting jammed down their throats today is political correctness, safe sex, cultural diversity, sexual harassment and a bunch of other crap, which is either "common sense" or can be taught by the parents.

Furthermore, lack of discipline is a problem. You can't touch a kid, you can't reprimand a kid, you cant suspend a kid without the fear of a law suit. The teachers are scared to death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    WRONG !! The Democrats have thrown billions into the education system, with zero results. Even Bush's "no child left behind" is not working. Kerry will throw another billion into this wasteless heap of crap, to satisfy the National Education Association which are all liberals.

What we need is discipline and getting back to the basics, like reading, writing, arithmetic and geography.
    What the kids are getting jammed down their throats today is political correctness, safe sex, cultural diversity, sexual harassment and a bunch of other crap, which is either "common sense" or can be taught by the parents.

Furthermore, lack of discipline is a problem. You can't touch a kid, you can't reprimand a kid, you cant suspend a kid without the fear of a law suit. The teachers are scared to death.
    very very very true, they should bring back the system in which students who are not academically strong are sent to technical school to learn job skills instead of draining the system of resources.

ReputationRep:
    I'm probably just being impatient - but I'd like to see the reaction to the jealousy accusation on both sides of the Atlantic.

ReputationRep:
    I dont dislike you american folk, but i think there are differances in culture...the English are slightly quieter, and more...confined to themselves. Americans appear to be loud and extrovert, which intimidates us english folk. At work, we had a guy cover form an agency, and he had lived in america for a few years (he is spanish) and find, in general, that american people are a bit like the way i have described.

Matt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    I'm actually stunned at how little the European poster knows about the U.S.

The exception of course, being Vienna
    There was a spanish guy i tlaked to at work. When he said he was from spain, alot of americans asked where that was

"thats south of mexico isnt it?" was one reply

hmm..

matt

ReputationRep:
    Why do I get the feeling that I'm being completely ignored?

(Original post by Will)
    Ok, ok - I think I'll say what most of us Europeans struggle to come to terms with.

A lot of Europeans are simply jealous of the power that America holds, and so in an attempt to cover such a base emotional reaction, they study America critically and pick out things that they really don't like.

I think that this is the reason that us Europeans harbour such jealousy/righteous(?) hatred towards America. It is something that we would rather not admit, but it is there - lurking somewhere in the subconscious of nearly every one of us.
    Will, a very good dissertation/observation. Interestingly enough, the Americans (in my view) like Europeans. In my opinion, the liberal media has helped bias the opinions of the Europeans who dislike the U.S.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will)
    Why do I get the feeling that I'm being completely ignored?

You might be right about some people, but I know it doesn't apply to me. Average American individuals don't hold any more power than I do ... they're not free-er than I am, they don't have big advantages by living there (except cheaper products and more generous portions of food :mmm: ). So no, I don't think I'm jealous BUT I never said I dislike Americans anyway, so I guess I don't apply.

I AM jealous, however, of people who live in NYC

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.