Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daiquiri)
    That's a bit hypocritical and relative; you could say the same thing the other way around - "I'm actually stunned at how little the American poster knows about Europe"
    Right, but we don't equate that with being ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    And please, take some time to read the survey before criticizing. The National Geographic is a world-renowned source of information.
    This is the same world-renowned source of information that hired the America-hating Peter Arnett. Peter Arnett is a man that has spent his whole career trying to harm the US. I still remember when he gave an interview with state-run Iraqi TV saying that the American-led coalition's war plan had failed when we were trying to overthrow Saddam Hussien.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USUK1)
    US system of education was crippled by inadequate resources, trained professionals and a distinct lack of process to evaluate educational ability and the amount students were learning. Bush is spending more and reforming but Kerry will really push through the reforms that the US education system needs to become one in which pupils can learn about the rest of the world, through history, sociology, politics and geography etc.
    I don't think money is the issue, since we were spending a fraction of that on education in 1960 and had the best schools in the world then. I think our schools are still good, otherwise we wouldn't produce people like steve jobs, donald trump, michael dell, or bill gates. The list goes on and on. How many of these people know a lot about geography? Does it even matter? Americans are some of the most entrepreneurial people in the world. I've been to a lot of poor countries where I've met a lot of very well educated people that wouldn't even know where to begin in organizing, operating, or assuming the risk for a business venture.

(Original post by Made in the USA)
    This is the same world-renowned source of information that hired the America-hating Peter Arnett. Peter Arnett is a man that has spent his whole career trying to harm the US. I still remember when he gave an interview with state-run Iraqi TV saying that the American-led coalition's war plan had failed when we were trying to overthrow Saddam Hussien.
    Yup, and remember that Peter Arnett was connected to CNN, the MOST liberal of both the network news and cable news.

ReputationRep:
    So I guess you're one of those Americans that use the "un-American" label to those that don't wave banners and "support the troops" in Iraq? What happened to freedom of opinion?

So I guess you think criticising a government equates to harming it; fair enough, by the same reasoning dictatorships would be a good form of government.

And well, Fox News is the MOST conservative of all cable news.

ReputationRep:
    So I guess you're one of those Americans that use the "un-American" label to those that don't wave banners and "support the troops" in Iraq? What happened to freedom of opinion?

So I guess you think criticising a government equates to harming it; fair enough, by the same reasoning dictatorships would be a good form of government.

I labeled him anti-american

He's not just biased, he lied through his teeth on television. He was fired from CNN not just for biased reporting, but for being a purveyor of lies and propaganda for many years.

Here is some of what he said on Saddam-sponsored television:

"Now America is reappraising the battlefield, delaying the war, maybe a week and rewriting the war plan," Arnett said in excerpts of the interview aired on U.S. networks. "The first plan has failed because of Iraqi resistance. Now they are trying to write another plan."

This is all nonsense and he is making up stories. It simply never happened. We never had to stop for a week and "rewrite the war plan" and then continue. Do any of you recall this? Of course not.

You can make a good arguement for lacking a good exit strategy and keeping the peace after the Iraqi army was defeated, but there were almost zero casualties and Saddam's military was easily defeated several days.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to America. I've only met a few American people, so my personal opinion has no real basis. I did, however, have a conversation with an American girl online, wherein she asked me where I lived:

pix: I live in Birmingham
    AG: Alabama?
    pix: lol, no, in England
    AG: which state's that in again?

or something to that effect. it astounded me. perhaps I just met one rather dimwitted American who made me think that it was a coneited country... i don't think that now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)
    I've never been to America. I've only met a few American people, so my personal opinion has no real basis. I did, however, have a conversation with an American girl online, wherein she asked me where I lived:

or something to that effect. it astounded me. perhaps I just met one rather dimwitted American who made me think that it was a coneited country... i don't think that now.
    Hmm...well, it depends who quickly she asked which state it was in. She may have thought she was just wrong about there being a Birmingham in Alabama if she was typing it before you responded.

Hey daiquiri, I know a lot of people who *don't* support the war in Iraq, but I don't know anyone who *doesn't* support the troops. Of course, I don't know everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piggysqueak)
    I don't think that we dislike you that much. It's a bit like the British and the French. There's nothing REALLY that bad about them (except for the fact that they kept on invading us) but it's fun to hate them. And all those american's children's programmes don't seem to help though. Do american children actually like 'Lizzie McGuire'?
    erm yes. i have many friends OBSESSED with the disney channel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Hmm...well, it depends who quickly she asked which state it was in. She may have thought she was just wrong about there being a Birmingham in Alabama if she was typing it before you responded.
    possibly....but one out of every 4 american highschoolers (this is shown by standardized testing) think our capital is in washington state....

so no. it wouldnt surprise me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixiepeep)

She may have been thinking of a part of the USA called "New England" which is comprised of several states in the north east.

ReputationRep:
    A while ago someone posted statistics saying how much worse Americans are at "understanding cultures" from the National Geographic. Direct Quote from them: "Young people in Canada and Great Britain fared almost as poorly as those in the U.S.".

I really don't think you ought to label everyone there the same. The place is almost as big as Europe... clearly people in New York will be different from people in Oklahoma...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    I AM jealous, however, of people who live in NYC
    Me too, and I live right next door!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wagamuffin)
    I really don't think you ought to label everyone there the same. The place is almost as big as Europe... clearly people in New York will be different from people in Oklahoma...
    The United States is much larger than Europe

I don't think money is the issue, since we were spending a fraction of that on education in 1960 and had the best schools in the world then. I think our schools are still good, otherwise we wouldn't produce people like steve jobs, donald trump, michael dell, or bill gates. The list goes on and on. How many of these people know a lot about geography? Does it even matter? Americans are some of the most entrepreneurial people in the world. I've been to a lot of poor countries where I've met a lot of very well educated people that wouldn't even know where to begin in organizing, operating, or assuming the risk for a business venture.
    Steve jobs, bill gates, blah blah. yes people so incredibly rich as to be without much comparison. But then these aren't exactly the stuff to brag about though. Because there are so many dirt poor americans, people so poor they don't even own houses for gods sake. I would warrant they probably have as much chance of hitting the american dream as a bloody iraqi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Steve jobs, bill gates, blah blah. yes people so incredibly rich as to be without much comparison. But then these aren't exactly the stuff to brag about though. Because there are so many dirt poor americans, people so poor they don't even own houses for gods sake. I would warrant they probably have as much chance of hitting the american dream as a bloody iraqi
    lots of people rent. and if you're speaking about the homeless, most of them are homeless because they spend any money they get on drugs or alcohol. They've done studies on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    lots of people rent. and if you're speaking about the homeless, most of them are homeless because they spend any money they get on drugs or alcohol. They've done studies on this.
    here here. but there should be a bigger welfare state in america to help those who do own homes but have difficulty living above the bread line

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkfmbp)
    here here. but there should be a bigger welfare state in america to help those who do own homes but have difficulty living above the bread line
    I love hearing about welfare from a british point of veiw. point blank: welfare in america doesn't work. it has been tried before and it didn't work. it has been reformed, and is barly working. welfare is not the answer. better education is the answer......

the "No Child Left Behind" act passed by the Bush administration may seem to outsiders eyes a great accomplishment. It sets up basic standardized tests standards and has consequences for schools that perfom poorly and rewards for schools that perform well.

however, America is a diverse country, with many different ethic and socail-economic backrounds....there is no standarized test that is completely unbiast. it is unfair to judge a school wholly on its performance on one test one day of the year....what if the students were having a bad day? what if the coke machiene broke down and we had no caffiene? the list of what if's go on and on.

thirdly, teachers are now being told by the school principal to teach the test. my mother is a junior high math teacher and has been told that she is not allowed to teach adding like variables in the 8th grade because it is not considered a TEKS (texas essential knowledge skill) by the people that created the standardized test. however, her students need to know this in ninth grade, so they can build upon what they are already supposed to have learned.

bush has screwed over our school system. period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Are you refering to the Americans that live in what we define poverty to be? From an article in the heritage foundation,here are some statistics regarding someone in American "poverty":

Forty-six percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

Seventy-six percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, 30 years ago, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.

The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 30 percent own two or more cars.

Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

Seventy-three percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and a third have an automatic dishwasher.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.