Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    What's in dispute here is the degree of help.
    exactly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    You do get English-Americans. They are called WASPs, I believe.

Not necessarily English nor is this inclusive, WASP stands for White Anglo-Saxon Protestant, so is mostly made up of English people, but it is not all English people, nor is it technically exclusive to English people.

ReputationRep:
    The only Americans I have a problem with are the ones in power.

ReputationRep:
    Ok well here goes, I don't have a problem with American people I have a problem with your leader I don't agree with his reasons for going to war in Iraq as I think that they are based around finishing what his father started and war. However I would never blame or hold the president against an American just as I would hope the world wouldn't hold the actions of our leaders against the British people.

I don't agree with stereotypes and I am aware that there are as many different people in America as there are in Britain and you aren't all just bible bashing fat people. However on some other forums I go on I have discovered that the people who have a problem with my religion most are bible bashing christians from America. Not that you are all like that just an observation I have made.

My main problems with America are with the international policy and like I said I have no problems with American people just the current administration.

ReputationRep:
    For those stating that they have a problem with the American government, what will you think if Bush is given a second term at the next election? He'll be a democratically elected representative of the people even after his prowess as a president and his choices of policy have been revealed. Will the American public still be 'ok' and the government 'not ok' in your eyes then?
    I'll still hate the government. Still won't have a major problem with the people, because hey, nobodys perfect.

ReputationRep:
    For those stating that they have a problem with the American government, what will you think if Bush is given a second term at the next election? He'll be a democratically elected representative of the people even after his prowess as a president and his choices of policy have been revealed. Will the American public still be 'ok' and the government 'not ok' in your eyes then?
    I won't be happy about it but the fact is that I respect democracy and if ther American people want to vote Bush in again then they are doing what they feel is best. However there are two things, one thing is that America is a big country and no where near 100% of people vote let alone vote for bush so just because someone is American doesn't mean that they voted for him. Also even if they did their political oppinion is there own buisness I would never judge someone only on the political party they voted for.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, because if the alternative is worse, what choice does the decent American have?

ReputationRep:
    But if they want Bush in, that means they generally agree with him doesn't it, so I don't see why the people would escape your vitriol?
    Because
    a. Not all of them will be voting for Bush. Some will be voting for Kerry, or another candidate if there is one, some will not be voting atall (those last lot are the really stupid ones if you ask me).

b. Because they're still not ones carrying out all the crap that Bush does. Talking to Republicans, I find that apart from their taste in Presidents, they're generally nice enough people. You just have to avoid talking politics with them sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    The same way he was 'democratically elected' despite getting fewer votes than Gore in 2000 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I accept that not all Americans can be tarred with the Bush brush, but:

Are they not in a way supporting him by not condemning him? If he has done such wrong, would he be voted out?

I suppose its similar to Blair here, a lot of people seem to think he has done a lot wrong, but that won't stop him getting voted in at the next election.
    Well what do you want me to do? Just hate them all? They seem to really think he's doing the right thing, and people can't really help how they feel.

Hopefully he will be voted out anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. But political opinions are just another attribute you can use when judging whether or not you 'like someone'.
    Yes, well, if the first thing I find out about someone is that they're a Bush-loving Republican, it does tend to to put me off a bit. But I've had online friends that I knew for a long time before the issue came up, and with them it's easier to deal with. Although we've had some flaming rows about it at times.

ReputationRep:
    I knew someone would mention that, that's why I stated the next election.
    Who's to say it won't happen again?

ReputationRep:
    what about the american stereotype of the english? i can honestly say ive never met anyone like hugh grant. well, its that or we live in the back streets of liverpool slobbering over savloys!!!

i blame the media (clueless for one!). american teenagers seem to be right little bullies!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=babyballerina]I once left a shop in Los Angeles because shop assistants came over to me and asked 'HI HOW YOU'RE DOING?' and fussed over me for no real reason. I was freaked out! I hadn't asked for help or anything. I don't think Americans realise they are doing things like this, they are just being friendly, but it's an alien concept to foreigners. In the same way, I am sure Americans probably feel that all northern Europeans are cold and unfriendly, which isn't true, we are just not that demonstrative.QUOTE]

I'm from TX when I go into a store folks just say how y'all doin today, if you need somthing just give me a holla. In the Uk "its what do you want!!!" or "CAN I HELP YOU!!!" said in a most aggressive way.
    I have at times assumed that in the UK stores do not actually want to part with their merchandise and get very aggravated at you disturing them doing not a lot. That or they assume that everyone who walks in their store is gonna steal something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rae)
    what about the american stereotype of the english? i can honestly say ive never met anyone like hugh grant. well, its that or we live in the back streets of liverpool slobbering over savloys!!!

i blame the media (clueless for one!). american teenagers seem to be right little bullies!
    LOL, you talk about american stereotypes, then you make an american one in the same post :rolleyes: . I dont think anyone considers me a bully lol.

ReputationRep:
    Whose Hugh Grant??
    Oh I remember 4 weddings and a Funnel, I saw that on a plane years ago, my language control was stuck on Japanese, but my Japanese is very limited so I didnt know what they were a sayin.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I really have no room to talk I have never been to England and I am an American. I don't celebrate Thanksgiving for the reasons others do. I mourn Thanksgiving for what really happened, the murder of a tribe of Native Americans. I admit that there are a number of individuals who fit the stereotype of the typical American but there are not that many of my generation. I really do not understand why we as people cannot get along. We are after all closer than we really know. Oh, by the way War movies infuriate me because of the whole "Americans won" thing but, nevermind I don't want to talk about that. Oh I don't claim to be Irish I AM mostly Irish/Scottish, with a Little English, Italian, and German. I also get angry with the Gov't but nothings perfect and I also hate the Hollywood rendition of everything. I am actually on this Forum because I like to learn about other cultures. Why not start with the closest to American?
    Peace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Ok well here goes, I don't have a problem with American people I have a problem with your leader I don't agree with his reasons for going to war in Iraq as I think that they are based around finishing what his father started and war. However I would never blame or hold the president against an American just as I would hope the world wouldn't hold the actions of our leaders against the British people.
    even though the majority of US and British citizens supported the same actions? of all of the anti-war tripe, 'finishing what his father started' has to be the weakest.

I don't agree with stereotypes and I am aware that there are as many different people in America as there are in Britain and you aren't all just bible bashing fat people. However on some other forums I go on I have discovered that the people who have a problem with my religion most are bible bashing christians from America.
    as opposed to non-bible bashing christians? surely having strong belief in one religion makes understanding or appreciation of another quite hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    The same way he was 'democratically elected' despite getting fewer votes than Gore in 2000 :rolleyes:
    Bush was fairly elected in 2000. this is not disputed at all in america.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    even though the majority of US and British citizens supported the same actions?
    I am sfraid you are wrong. We (along with the Euopeans) never supported the war even after being exposed to contant proganda and serious lies. We Brits are more sharp that Americans, I'd say… and we weren't swayed in by partotic, righteous sounding pretexts like the "War on Terror". We knew that Iraq and Afghaniostan were NO threat to us and a special catchprase like that couldn't justify war.

Sun and Daily Mail polls are never things you should go by.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.