Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and I'm not from the UK, I hope it doesn't mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    Most of the Americans I've met WERE dumb and arrogant and totally annoying, ando most of them never convinced me to think otherwise (Of course I've also met a few exceptions...).

Or I was in Spain with an international volunteering org. and there was this american girl with us.. for two weeks in a row, every hour of the day I had to listen to **** like: Oh, I didn't know they had McDonalds in Spain..Oh, I didn't know they had multiplex cinemas in Europe..wow, a spanish child..oh look, you can do this and that in Spain..wow, they sell Coke in Spain...Look, a spanish truck!!!..european clothes...and it went ON AND ON AND ON..
    annoying? extremly..
    And as I've said before, these are two of thousands of examples...

The few exceptions were/are really smart, intelligent young ppl who could see way past their US borders and actually live in reality.
    sounds like they were thrilled to be there and in awe of being in Europe. granted, they may be a little ignorant in some areas but arrogant??

bearing in mind the nature of the US and its relation to the rest of the world, its not unreasonable for them to have little knowledge of a different continent. id like to meet a European that is as eager to travel the US, that appreciates US culture in ITS REALITY and a european who can actually tell me the capital of South Dakota or where Rhode Island is, let alone the geography and demographic of places like the middle east. every american i know can tell me far more about parts of asia, oceania or the geography of the pacific rim than any european. but whats it worth, when Europe and its ideals are considered centre of the earth, right?

Americans are not Europeans and vice versa. its ridiculous to expect us to be culturally equal, POLITICALLY equal or spiritually equal. im sick and tired of the one-way bashing that seeks to elevate 'our' views and lifestyles as objectively greater. theres enough blinded arrogance and self-importance eminating from the French media, i dont expect it from the people of 25+ nations.

(and yes, i know its just 'because of Bush', just as i know pigs fly)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    Oh, and I'm not from the UK, I hope it doesn't mind.
    no, being anti-american is a free for all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    no, being anti-american is a free for all.
    Look, I just wanted to say that 90% of the americans that I've met were US-centered, lazy and arrogant(yes, arrogant)... Example..If someone(anyone) comes to a different countryand knows ****, and I mean total extreme ****, about it and starts being rude and who knows what, and you still think it's really cool that they even have the guts to leave Texas..then I'm sorry, that is quite sad..
    And my problem with americans is that MOST(not all of them, I'm not saying that you,, or your friends-just most) of them, unfortunatly, are like that.. That is what I find TOTALLY annoying about americans, and I think I'm not alone.
    All nations have their bad sides, but they're just not as big as the US, so their not so important..
    My opinion is that it's the problem with the education... It's just so totally different than european education... so US-centered. A lot of my friends have made one year exchange trips to the US, and all of them, no matter how bad their grades were here in Prague, they were ALWAYS the best students in the whole high school. And I'm not kidding... It's really unbelievable to listen to them talking about the exam-systems ect.
    Just don't take everything so personally, you live in France and you can see their own faults and problems..but their not the leading world-power, so the problems are not as important as the faults of the US ppl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    Look, I just wanted to say that 90% of the americans that I've met were US-centered, lazy and arrogant(yes, arrogant)... Example..If someone(anyone) comes to a different countryand knows ****, and I mean total extreme ****, about it and starts being rude and who knows what, and you still think it's really cool that they even have the guts to leave Texas..then I'm sorry, that is quite sad..
    And my problem with americans is that MOST(not all of them, I'm not saying that you,, or your friends-just most) of them, unfortunatly, are like that.. That is what I find TOTALLY annoying about americans, and I think I'm not alone.
    you still havent told me why they are arrogant..other than a dubious connection that their relative lack of knowledge of Prague should imply arrogance and rudeness. ive got news, very few people on this forum could tell you where the czech republic is or anything remotely to do with its political geography. i doubt that you will get such a warm reception with the same assertion toward the British.

All nations have their bad sides, but they're just not as big as the US, so their not so important..
    My opinion is that it's the problem with the education... It's just so totally different than european education... so US-centered.
    which is why US kids know about their background, their heritage and the history of their country. why they feel American and celebrate being american. it is also why 300 years of the British empire is eradicated from history in the British education system, why the majority of under 25s didnt know the simplest things about D-Day and why our society is riddled with ethnic and cultural tension. why putting up a Union Jack is equated with racism and the extreme right wing.

A lot of my friends have made one year exchange trips to the US, and all of them, no matter how bad their grades were here in Prague, they were ALWAYS the best students in the whole high school. And I'm not kidding...
    ill take that with the credibility it deserves.

It's really unbelievable to listen to them talking about the exam-systems ect.
    Just don't take everything so personally, you live in France and you can see their own faults and problems..but their not the leading world-power, so the problems are not as important as the faults of the US ppl
    but far more intentional, far more nauseating and far more offensive.

ReputationRep:
    i would someone to define what anti americas believe in, it seems to be a term being chucked about quite abit over the last few commments and i think i may disagree with it depending on how people define it

ReputationRep:
    which is why US kids know about their background, their heritage and the history of their country. why they feel American and celebrate being american. it is also why 300 years of the British empire is eradicated from history in the British education system, why the majority of under 25s didnt know the simplest things about D-Day and why our society is riddled with ethnic and cultural tension. why putting up a Union Jack is equated with racism and the extreme right wing.
    An interesting point. Ive often complained at the awful standard of history coverage in our schools (if i took no extra curricular interest my knowledge of world history would consist of the basic biblical tales, the Jacobite rebelions and the the two world wars) and i think the general perception of Americans as ignorant of the world outwith their own borders is incredibly biased.
    In my experience the average Briton is no more aware of external(even internal) cultures and current events than the stereotypical Americans while Americans tend at least to be aware of their own personal national history as Vienna states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    An interesting point. Ive often complained at the awful standard of history coverage in our schools (if i took no extra curricular interest my knowledge of world history would consist of the basic biblical tales, the Jacobite rebelions and the the two world wars) and i think the general perception of Americans as ignorant of the world outwith their own borders is incredibly biased.
    In my experience the average Briton is no more aware of external(even internal) cultures and current events than the stereotypical Americans while Americans tend at least to be aware of their own personal national history as Vienna states.
    This is a general point rather than a debating/arguing against americans point before everyone gets up tight. The vastness of america means tho that many people dont ever leave the country and hence don't experience other cultures, we are IMO in britain exposed to a greater range of ideas and cultures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    we are IMO in britain exposed to a greater range of ideas and cultures
    Due to our location this is undeniable, even so i feel most britons remain quite ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    This is a general point rather than a debating/arguing against americans point before everyone gets up tight. The vastness of america means tho that many people dont ever leave the country and hence don't experience other cultures, we are IMO in britain exposed to a greater range of ideas and cultures
    i) so surely the arrogance is on our part for expecting them to have knowledge of the same things to the same degree.

ii) in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king...but he still has only one eye...

ReputationRep:
    Due to our location this is undeniable, even so i feel most britons remain quite ignorant.
    having lived in Belgium, the difference between the average Briton and the average american is pitifully thin, in terms of ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    having lived in Belgium, the difference between the average Briton and the average american is pitifully thin.
    This doesnt really surprise me. There is generally an arrogance to both peoples when regarding other nations and cultures for obvious reasons.

ReputationRep:
    i) so surely the arrogance is on our part for expecting them to have knowledge of the same things to the same degree.

ii) in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king...but he still has only one eye...
    hmm interesting point, i dont think the americans would like us pitying them personally

ReputationRep:
    This doesnt really surprise me. There is generally an arrogance to both peoples when regarding other nations and cultures for obvious reasons.
    in terms of arrogance there is no contest, Britain all the way. although, the french make us look wide awake. its all colonial.

ReputationRep:
    hmm interesting point, i dont think the americans would like us pitying them personally
    pity?

ReputationRep:
    Vienna>>do you think you are the only country in the world that has history classes? Don't you think that having at least an overview of the world belongs to basic knowledge?
    My opinion on Americans is based purely on my experience with them, and as I can see, you are a patriot(anyone would defend their own country in your place, I would do the same) but you are blind not to see or admit the faults (total ignorance ( ect.)) of your fellow countrymen. I have travelled to many countries and have never met so many dumb ppl as I did in the US or those that were from the US.
    Anyway, that's my opinion, and as I can see you have zero tolerance with other ppl that don't share the same thoughts as you do, so there's no use in continuing this conversation with you, as you always find something against every word I write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    Vienna>>do you think you are the only country in the world that has history classes? Don't you think that having at least an overview of the world belongs to basic knowledge?

yes, but you should have grasped that its subjective as to what you deem an overview and basic.

My opinion on Americans is based purely on my experience with them, and as I can see, you are a patriot(anyone would defend their own country in your place, I would do the same) but you are blind not to see or admit the faults (total ignorance ( ect.)) of your fellow countrymen.
    when did Britain come into the argument? (yes folks, i am playing dumb)

I have travelled to many countries and have never met so many dumb ppl as I did in the US or those that were from the US.
    if thats your experience fair enough.

Anyway, that's my opinion, and as I can see you have zero tolerance with other ppl that don't share the same thoughts as you do, so there's no use in continuing this conversation with you, as you always find something against every word I write.
    thats because im good and youre a hypocrit.

ReputationRep:
    pity?
    you said we being arrogant should understand the fact they have not travelled abroad, surely that is pitying them

ReputationRep:
    you said we being arrogant should understand the fact they have not travelled abroad, surely that is pitying them
    well, i wouldnt use the word pity when it could easily apply the other way around. its arrogant to expect them to be 'European' as it would be arrogant for us to be treated as though we we're american. from my experience its alot of one and not a great deal of the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    I see you are a narrow-minded postgrad student, spending your time on a forum trying to prove to poor 18 yr olds how great and smart you are. You are full of knowledge, you have a nice vocabulary, I just don't seem to get what your problem is, with an attitude like yours you won't change anyones mind,( if that is your whole point), you just prove how intolerant you Americans are.
    A lot of ppl just don't like Americans, and that is a fact, whether it's because of your chimpanzee president or your dumbass ppl majority of ppl
    But of course I expect a nice little message from you telling me what a hypocrit I am..so don't even bother.
    i was going to say, im British. whats so 'poor' about the 18yr olds here?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.