Make all important laws subject to referendum?

Watch
Lady Comstock
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Say we managed to create a relatively cheap digital device which could record a vote from each individual in the country and send it to a centralised system which calculated the result. Hypothetically, assume this device is infallible (say by fingerprint touch only, unable to be hacked or corrupted, etc.)

With this device belonging to every individual, why not allow all important laws to be subject to referendum?

Should the people of a country not be able to decide, directly if such a means is possible, what laws are enacted?

(Not saying I agree, but I think this is an interesting scenario).
plasmaman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)
Say we managed to create a relatively cheap digital device which could record a vote from each individual in the country and send it to a centralised system which calculated the result. Hypothetically, assume this device is infallible (say by fingerprint touch only, unable to be hacked or corrupted, etc.)

With this device belonging to every individual, why not allow all important laws to be subject to referendum?

Should the people of a country not be able to decide, directly if such a means is possible, what laws are enacted?

Yeah seems fair to me, power to the people and all that. But some would argue asking an entire nation to agree on laws is impossible hence why we entrust a smaller group to do it. Maybe if that group were more representative and not from the same elitist echelon of society then it could work?
james22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No. Only fundamental changes to the way the country works should be subject to a referendum. Otherwise we will have too many ill thought out but nice sounding ideas going through.
mathsmathsmaths
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by james22)
No. Only fundamental changes to the way the country works should be subject to a referendum. Otherwise we will have too many ill thought out but nice sounding ideas going through.
Wouldn't it be laws that were already about to be passed?
james22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mathsmathsmaths)
Wouldn't it be laws that were already about to be passed?
In that case I would fear that we would reject some really important ones on a whim or from scaremongering.
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lady Comstock)

who'd generate all the bills for us to vote on?

there are some pretty easy to spot problems - as spoofed in The Simpsons, everyone would just vote for better schools, more police, brighter streetlamps, proton beam therapy on demand in every GP surgery AND lower taxes all at the same time.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not as long as universal suffrage exists.

Quite simply, too many people are either incapable or not interested in studying the evidence surrounding a policy and then coming to a reasoned conclusion. Many will tow the media line or make a bad decision.
Fry_Cook_of_Doom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Electronic voting doesn't solve political apathy. If a system like this were introduced, all except the most groundbreaking laws will still end up being decided by a minority of the country's population. It's better to leave the task of legislating to legislators so that ordinary people can get on with their lives.
anarchism101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What if two laws contradict, a la California?
DErasmus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
rule by the majority is stupid because it's rule by a majority of stupid people, that's why we have a system of stupid people representing us, preventing us from stupid monarchs and tyrants. itt smart people create smart governments
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (22)
6.21%
Uncertainty around my education (38)
10.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (41)
11.58%
Lack of purpose or motivation (48)
13.56%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (18)
5.08%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (16)
4.52%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (37)
10.45%
Financial worries (25)
7.06%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (15)
4.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (22)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (10)
2.82%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (36)
10.17%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (26)
7.34%

Watched Threads