The Student Room Group

Fish tank Noisy Filter???

So right now I can't sleep because the filter in my tropical fish tank in my room is making alot of noise!

I did an entire full clean out earlier of my 70L tank because I had some free time and it REALLY needed sorting out. I had an old filter (aqua flow 200) which broke because there was a little bit that disconnected itself from the main air tube and I was fed up of going to my local aquarium shop to get it re-glued so today got a new filter from the store. I got a smaller pump (aqua flow 100) as the original was actually for tanks holding between 100L - 200L as sold by the fish store. The new one is for tanks between 50L and 100L

It was working fine when I first installed it according to its instructions in that you have to leave it fully sub-merged in the water except the very top where the air tube is so that the water squirts out of several holes and onto the surface to keep the water moving.

Earlier it was just humming as normal but about an hour or two ago, it started making a racket, kind of buzzing. It was rather loud and literally could not sleep. For the moment I've switched it off because I wasn't sure what else to do and at 2 o'clock in the morning, I don't fancy messing around with the filter as naturally I'm normally asleep at this time.

So 3 questions...

1) How long can I leave my filter off for? I mean if I leave it for 6 hours just so I can get some sleep should my fish be okay?
2) Why would my filter suddenly do this when I definately setup my tank correctly? Does it sound like an easy fix/ simple problem or is it more likely a fault?
3) Should I get it replaced?

I'm kinda hoping someone who knows about fish is on but if not I'll have to wing it & pray I don't kill my fish.
Oh! I got 4 neon tetras, 2 juli cory's, 1 guorami & 1 sucky loach fish (can't think of its name!!!)

Hi thanks for replying.

My filter seems fine now, I think it actually had a pocket of air stuck somewhere.

Thanks anyway.

:smile:
Original post by mediageek123
So right now I can't sleep because the filter in my tropical fish tank in my room is making alot of noise!

I did an entire full clean out earlier of my 70L tank because I had some free time and it REALLY needed sorting out. I had an old filter (aqua flow 200) which broke because there was a little bit that disconnected itself from the main air tube and I was fed up of going to my local aquarium shop to get it re-glued so today got a new filter from the store. I got a smaller pump (aqua flow 100) as the original was actually for tanks holding between 100L - 200L as sold by the fish store. The new one is for tanks between 50L and 100L

It was working fine when I first installed it according to its instructions in that you have to leave it fully sub-merged in the water except the very top where the air tube is so that the water squirts out of several holes and onto the surface to keep the water moving.

Earlier it was just humming as normal but about an hour or two ago, it started making a racket, kind of buzzing. It was rather loud and literally could not sleep. For the moment I've switched it off because I wasn't sure what else to do and at 2 o'clock in the morning, I don't fancy messing around with the filter as naturally I'm normally asleep at this time.

So 3 questions...

1) How long can I leave my filter off for? I mean if I leave it for 6 hours just so I can get some sleep should my fish be okay?
2) Why would my filter suddenly do this when I definately setup my tank correctly? Does it sound like an easy fix/ simple problem or is it more likely a fault?
3) Should I get it replaced?

I'm kinda hoping someone who knows about fish is on but if not I'll have to wing it & pray I don't kill my fish.
Oh! I got 4 neon tetras, 2 juli cory's, 1 guorami & 1 sucky loach fish (can't think of its name!!!)

Go out and buy yourself a Fluval filter - you won't go wrong with one of those. :smile:
Original post by Balloon Baboon
Go out and buy yourself a Fluval filter - you won't go wrong with one of those. :smile:

Thanks I'll check that out (probably in the new year).

My pump seems okay, if it starts making a noise I just take it apart and clean it, though last time it didn't need cleaning so i have no idea why it was making a noise in the first place.

Just another quick question, is there a effective way of getting rid of pest snails that come with aquarium plants?

I had an epidemic earlier this year (seriously, there were 150+!!!) and had to do a full clean out with new gravel, decorations and pump. It was fine for 2 months and then out of the blue I started getting snails again. Where they came from I have no idea as I hadn't brought any new aquarium plants. Currently, my method is a cucumber trap but obviously you can only catch so many snails with this, and the bigger ones don't tend to go for it. Other than picking them out one by one and possibly stressing my fish out, I have no other ideas.

If you know of anything else I'd be grateful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest