The Student Room Group

Computer Science at Imperial, UCL, Cambridge, Kings College and Edinburgh

I am in year 12 now and for university I want to apply for computer science to Cambridge, imperial, ucl , kings and Edinburgh. At gcse i got 7A*s 1A and 2B's and at as I am predicted to get an A* ( as we are doing the whole maths a level in one year) and an A's in chemistry and physics I will be doing the whole further maths a level in year 13 . Do you think that my grades are ok and I'll have a good chance of getting in and what other things can I do to boost my personal statement and any extra curriculars ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whoa! I want to do computer science, and man, you're doing it MATHS and FURTHER MATHS in one year?? What school do you go to? I didn't even know that was possible...:O

I want to do computer science, i'm in year 13. You have a whole year still. Nothing wrong with starting early I guess. I want grades somewhere between A*AA-AAB, they seem realistic for me if I work hard enough that is, insha'Allah.

Man, if you get A*s-As and have some extracurricular activities you'll probably get into any university. If I were you right now, I would start learning some programming as a hobby, use YouTube tutorials and websites like code-academy. But for some reason, I have a feeling like you already know some programming lol.

Peace.
Reply 2
No, we're not doing maths and further maths in one year lol, we're doing maths a level this year and the further maths a level next year. And I know some basic C and Java but not a lot so I need to start learning some. And I'm sure you'll get the grades you want :-) , where are you applying(if you don't mind me asking?)
I am in Year 12 currently and hoping to do a CompSci degree. I've looked through about 10 unis and picked my top 6 that I like, which are Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Durham, Bristol and Southampton, underneath I think Cambridge, Imperial and UCL are my top 3. I got 11A*s, 1A in my GCSEs and I'm targeted 5As in my AS Grades. I do Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Computing and unfortunately General Studies. My School wouldn't let me drop General Studies and do Physics instead. Otherwise, I would've done.

I've read through the prospectuses and I've got quite a lot of extra-curriculars (Silver+Gold DofE, 2 years additional volunteer work, bronze performing arts award, 2 weeks of medical work experience etc) and have 4 years of programming experience (in Python, JavaScript and PHP) so this should help, but I'm in a similar situation as in there isn't much to do to read around the subject. Like for ChemEng and Chemistry, you can read engineering and chemistry magazines (e.g The Mole) but there isn't quite an equivalent for Computer Science, other than like latest hardware.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending