otrivine
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Why does prolonged depolarisation cause sodium inactivation?

Thank you
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by otrivine)
Why does prolonged depolarisation cause sodium inactivation?

Thank you
Remember that voltage-gated sodium channels exist in three states - open, closed (but activated), and inactivated. In the normal action potential, a depolarising stimulus opens sodium channels, which then inactivate after 1-2 milliseconds. This combined with potassium channels opening repolarises the cell.

However, if there is prolonged depolarisation the membrane potential will constantly be above the threshold for voltage-gated sodium channels which stimulates them to open. Remember they can only remain open for 1-2 milliseconds before inactivating, so they will be constantly inactivated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
otrivine
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Asklepios)
Remember that voltage-gated sodium channels exist in three states - open, closed (but activated), and inactivated. In the normal action potential, a depolarising stimulus opens sodium channels, which then inactivate after 1-2 milliseconds. This combined with potassium channels opening repolarises the cell.

However, if there is prolonged depolarisation the membrane potential will constantly be above the threshold for voltage-gated sodium channels which stimulates them to open. Remember they can only remain open for 1-2 milliseconds before inactivating, so they will be constantly inactivated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see thant makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Another question, there are electrical and chemical synapses. When do we get these such as, should there be speicific stimuli for an electrical synapse to be involved. Like how can we determine if something will undergo electrical or chemical synapse?If you see what I mean.
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by otrivine)
I see thant makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Another question, there are electrical and chemical synapses. When do we get these such as, should there be speicific stimuli for an electrical synapse to be involved. Like how can we determine if something will undergo electrical or chemical synapse?If you see what I mean.
Electrical and chemical synapses are anatomically distinct. The vast majority of synaptic connections in the human body are chemical synapses, with a few electrical synapses. Electrical synapses allow greater speed of transmission, but there is a problem with these. Remember that a small axon will tend to synapse with a larger cell body, and so there will be a switch from a high resistance (and so low current) to a low resistance (high current) system. This means some form of chemical amplification is needed to trigger an action potential in the second cell. An important function of a chemical synapse is to create this gain.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (55)
17.13%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.35%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.38%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.71%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.43%

Watched Threads