air_japes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey,
I just wanted to know my chances for medicine. I do not know whether I would get in or not.
My GCSE grades were: 1A* 11As
English language - A
English literature - A
Maths - A
Chemistry - A
Biology - A
Physics - A
ICT - A
History - A
Photography - A*
French - A
German - A
Panjabi - A (community language Lol extra GCSE :rolleyes:
RE - B it was short course so....

For A level I picked : Maths mechanics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
I am aiming to get 4 As in all four, 85% or more in all units.

What are my chances of doing medicine at universities such as Oxford, UCL, Imperial, if so are there others that you think I could get in to. Also, I am from a state school if that helps.

Thanks
Azula
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you did well so well done xD. if your as levels are good then i guess you are a good candidate good luck
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're not going to get into Oxford with those GCSEs unfortunately: last year, nobody with under 60% A*s at GCSE was even interviewed. Your GCSEs are good, but the lack of A*s will be a problem for some universities. None of us can judge your chances of getting into Med school without knowing your AS results and UKCAT/BMAT scores, but make sure you apply to Universities that are not very bothered about GCSE results.
SuperiorGenius
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got 5 A*s and 4 As. So is this considered better than 1A* and 11As for medicine?
joeymr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The average applicant to Oxford medicine has around 8-10A*s at GCSE. Whilst your GCSEs are good, they just won't be competitive for Oxford unfortunately
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SuperiorGenius)
I got 5 A*s and 4 As. So is this considered better than 1A* and 11As for medicine?
Lol, nope, once they have passed the first phase which is meeting the GCSE requirements, they move on to phase 2.
Barbarian King
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It is not even all about your GCSEs, some people who got Bs and As got into medicine, and some people with 10A*s were rejected.
RoryH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

(Original post by Zain Amin)
It is not even all about your GCSEs, some people who got Bs and As got into medicine, and some people with 10A*s were rejected.
As this person has said it's not all about GCSEs, a lot of things go in to an application and it all depends on where you apply. Other factors are the UKCAT/BMAT, AS level grades, and your personal statement will also play a big part in the application.
Ronove
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Probably, yes. 5 A*s still isn't the kind of result that stands you in good stead for the GCSE-heavy unis, though, so you're not likely to have that great an advantage in that sense. You might score a few more points for academics than the OP in most med school applications though. However this is just one part of a much larger picture.

Lol, nope, once they have passed the first phase which is meeting the GCSE requirements, they move on to phase 2.

You didn't answer their question. What reason do you have to think that med schools no longer consider GCSEs at all after ranking applicants for interview invites (that's what I'm getting from what you've said)?
SuperiorGenius
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Ronove)
Probably, yes. 5 A*s still isn't the kind of result that stands you in good stead for the GCSE-heavy unis, though, so you're not likely to have that great an advantage in that sense. You might score a few more points for academics than the OP in most med school applications though. However this is just one part of a much larger picture.

You didn't answer their question. What reason do you have to think that med schools no longer consider GCSEs at all after ranking applicants for interview invites (that's what I'm getting from what you've said)?
Finally, someone who actually answered the question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (252)
57.01%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.99%

Watched Threads