The Student Room Group

Unconditional offer?

Hey,

I understand that most unconditional offers are given to those that have already recieved their results before applying.

I was just wondering if unconditional offers are ever given to those who have not yet got their a level results? And if so why are these given? Is it due to a strong personal statement orrr?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sar_Grant
Hey,

I understand that most unconditional offers are given to those that have already recieved their results before applying.

I was just wondering if unconditional offers are ever given to those who have not yet got their a level results? And if so why are these given? Is it due to a strong personal statement orrr?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, they are sometimes given before. It can be a number of things from personal statement, predicted grades, interviews, portfolios, entry exams. If the Uni likes you, and wants you on your course then they might well give you an unconditional.
normally its to an outstanding personal statement or otherwise proof that even without a levels a person would be a strong candidate for a course.
one example i know of is a friend whom applied to nottingham university for their film studies course. As you can imagine he's quite the movie buff - a 4 figure collection of dvds and blu rays ranging all across genres and time periods. He had reviewed for a few magazines and web pages and even tried to make his own blog of film reviews. He was also already well versed in the finer points of the course that even after explaining I could not understand - he went to their open day at nottingham accompanied by a third year film student and genuinely knew more than she did. He got an unconditional almost immediately after sending it off.
For a subject that either focuses more academically or is not quite as leisurely orientated I'm sure it would be work experience, disability or another reason
Hey,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sometimes unconditional offers are given to people who haven't completed A levels - I know someone who applied to Birmingham University and received an unconditional offer instead of the typical AAA offer. I'm guessing this was due to a combination of strong personal statement (she'd done DofE gold and other stuff), AS level grades (I think they were AAAC) and predicted grades. I guess they might have also thought she could have aimed higher, so offering an unconditional offer encourages people to accept it (even though Birmingham was her first choice). If the candidate is strong, the uni really wants them and their past exam history is strong them an unconditional offer might be provided.
Hey,

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some universities (Birmingham is one that I know of) have a policy of giving unconditional offers to the very best of their applicants in an attempt to persuade them to accept their university. However, this really does only apply to their best applicants and most universities don't do this, as far as I know.
Someone from my college got an Unconditional from Leicester to study English Literature. I guess they just give them to people who they really, really, really like!
Original post by theronkinator
I got three unconditionals, I had my grades already but was given unconditionals from some even though I didn't meet the grade requirements.

What unis were these ?? If you don't mind saying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
This year, universities have said they will be giving out more unconditional offers to students predicted with very high grades - I'm talking all A's or more, here. It's because they want to guarantee that the student will come there, and they want some high achievers attending. My giving out an unconditional offer, it's much more likely they'll accept and come there :smile:
Some universities (Birmingham and Leicester are the ones I can recall) have been experimenting in the last couple of years with giving unconditional to strong candidates IF they choose that university as their firm choice. If they make it their insurance, the offer reverts to conditional. It's a marketing strategy. People are flattered by the unconditional and accept a place they might not otherwise have done because they feel it's a special sign of favour. If it's from a university you want to go to, clearly it's a plus. If you aren't sure and you are swayed by the flattery, then it may not work out quite so well.
Original post by tearteto
normally its to an outstanding personal statement or otherwise proof that even without a levels a person would be a strong candidate for a course.
one example i know of is a friend whom applied to nottingham university for their film studies course. As you can imagine he's quite the movie buff - a 4 figure collection of dvds and blu rays ranging all across genres and time periods. He had reviewed for a few magazines and web pages and even tried to make his own blog of film reviews. He was also already well versed in the finer points of the course that even after explaining I could not understand - he went to their open day at nottingham accompanied by a third year film student and genuinely knew more than she did. He got an unconditional almost immediately after sending it off.
For a subject that either focuses more academically or is not quite as leisurely orientated I'm sure it would be work experience, disability or another reason

Disability? Why on earth would a university give a disabled applicant an unconditional offer, just because of disability?
Original post by Alex347_
Disability? Why on earth would a university give a disabled applicant an unconditional offer, just because of disability?

not just a disability, i mentioned as a possibility of lower grade requirements.
not just a disability, i mentioned as a possibility of lower grade requirements.

Most universities do not give out lower offers to disabled students. Being disabled I wish it were true- though it generally isn't and shouldn't be.

Only case I think of, might be extenuating circumstances, as surgery during exams... (Can think of! Means, there are cases, where it would make sense, but heard not of them being applied.)
In my country you could get lower requirement, when disabled, e.g. if appropriate medical care can only be provided at certain universities and/or the student has to stay with his/her parents and otherwise could not study. So there are cases, where it can make sense to give out lower offers/unconditionals due to disability/illness, but I haven't heard of them being applied in the UK.
I got an unconditional offer from Bristol for Law before completing my Advanced Placements (US equivalent of A-levels). I believe the reason to be my outstanding LNAT performance (my essay was rated among the best as my personal tutor here told me), strong personal statement and other supporting qualifications - had a couple of SAT subject scores and was getting the Turkish diploma as well as the APs, that's two different qualifications at once. However this is mostly speculation, I never asked (or intend to ask) my uni why they accepted me unconditionally.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Nathanielle
Only case I think of, might be extenuating circumstances, as surgery during exams... (Can think of! Means, there are cases, where it would make sense, but heard not of them being applied.)
In my country you could get lower requirement, when disabled, e.g. if appropriate medical care can only be provided at certain universities and/or the student has to stay with his/her parents and otherwise could not study. So there are cases, where it can make sense to give out lower offers/unconditionals due to disability/illness, but I haven't heard of them being applied in the UK.

I think sometimes if it's serious enough to mean you can only attend a local uni, they probably get lower grades. But these are only in the worse cases I guess. I've never heard of a disabled applicant being awarded an unconditional offer. Oh well.
Most universities do not give out lower offers to disabled students. Being disabled I wish it were true- though it generally isn't and shouldn't be.

If the disability has caused some kind of problem with the work they have been able to do, it might count as "difficult circumstances" of some kind, which could mean the universities are more sympathetic towards them, and give them a more generous offer. However I doubt it'd be simply because they were disabled :wink:

Like dyslexia? ? do they ask proof?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

Posted from TSR Mobile

When i was at college- a girl on my course (we did level 3 diploma in childcare and education) applied to uni. She got an unconditional offer to do social work at uni.
So it is possible.
Original post by Emma:-)
When i was at college- a girl on my course (we did level 3 diploma in childcare and education) applied to uni. She got an unconditional offer to do social work at uni.
So it is possible.

My sister did a diploma and she got an unconditional, what uni did your friend get it from?
Original post by snikutsmullac
My sister did a diploma and she got an unconditional, what uni did your friend get it from?

derby

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending