stirkee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm selecting a car to get under my company's car scheme, and I've got it down to two.

I'm either going for the:

Audi A3 Diesel Hatchback 2.0 TDI SE

or the

Audi A3 Hatchback 1.4 TFSI 150 Sport

The former is £1 cheaper per month.

Can anyone give an insight into the pros/cons of each? Like power, running costs, mpg etc? And above that which you'd pick and why.

Thank you
trident3
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Both engines are excellent.

From a driving point of view I personally prefer turbo-charged petrol engines; nowadays they have almost as much torque as a diesel and the wider usable rev range makes them much more entertaining to drive.

In real-world driving, the petrol will do about 50 mpg on a long run, the diesel something over 60 mpg.

T3
stirkee
Rep:
?
(Original post by trident3)
Both engines are excellent.

From a driving point of view I personally prefer turbo-charged petrol engines; nowadays they have almost as much torque as a diesel and the wider usable rev range makes them much more entertaining to drive.

In real-world driving, the petrol will do about 50 mpg on a long run, the diesel something over 60 mpg.

T3
Thanks!

So which do you think is the better option for daily commutes to client sites (i.e. a range of different driving day to day; motorways, rural and city)
Nuffles
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd go for the TDI personally, but I'm biased.
Alfissti
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by stirkee)
I'm selecting a car to get under my company's car scheme, and I've got it down to two.

or the

Can anyone give an insight into the pros/cons of each? Like power, running costs, mpg etc? And above that which you'd pick and why.

Thank you
Is that TDI a 150 or 180 PS?

I looked into the Audi A3 Sedan and compared it against a Mercedes CLA, ended up didn't buy either as we opted for a Volvo V60.

One of the reason why the Volvo was selected was due to better room, better comfort, being Swedish made, slightly lower price and overall from our testing it returned better fuel economy and in Norway it is generally cheaper to maintain as well as has better residual values.

Several variants were tested prior to buying over 5 days and 200km, 1.4TFSI, 2.0TDI and 2.0TDI Quattro. Both the FWD models returned fairly similar fuel economy. However the TFSI can feel sluggish as when the car senses that there isn't a heavy load it will deactivate 2 engine cylinders at low speeds. Driving on motorways both felt decent though I personally preferred the tfsi over the tdi as it was more refined and the fuel consumption didn't make that big a difference. I'd probably opt for the petrol as in the near future the tax on diesels will go up.

Maintenance, the petrol will generally be cheaper to maintain.
SmallDuck
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by stirkee)

or the

Thank you
Sport. I am considering an A3 at the moment, and I like the extras that the sport has, e.g. lower suspension and sports seats. Should also deliver a better fuel economy if it has a smaller engine.
Runninground
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Alfissti)
Is that TDI a 150 or 180 PS?

I looked into the Audi A3 Sedan and compared it against a Mercedes CLA, ended up didn't buy either as we opted for a Volvo V60.

One of the reason why the Volvo was selected was due to better room, better comfort, being Swedish made, slightly lower price and overall from our testing it returned better fuel economy and in Norway it is generally cheaper to maintain as well as has better residual values.

Several variants were tested prior to buying over 5 days and 200km, 1.4TFSI, 2.0TDI and 2.0TDI Quattro. Both the FWD models returned fairly similar fuel economy. However the TFSI can feel sluggish as when the car senses that there isn't a heavy load it will deactivate 2 engine cylinders at low speeds. Driving on motorways both felt decent though I personally preferred the tfsi over the tdi as it was more refined and the fuel consumption didn't make that big a difference. I'd probably opt for the petrol as in the near future the tax on diesels will go up.

Maintenance, the petrol will generally be cheaper to maintain.
You looked at an Audi and a Mercedes... and ended up with a Volvo :lolwut:
UrbanMonkey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Runninground)
Exactly ^^ how did that happen
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I take it you've not driven or rode in a Mercedes CLA or an Audi A3 Sedan?

If you have you will know why the Volvo was selected. Plus a Swedish car made in Sweden > German branded car made in Eastern Europe.
Runninground
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I take it you've not driven or rode in a Mercedes CLA or an Audi A3 Sedan?

If you have you will know why the Volvo was selected. Plus a Swedish car made in Sweden > German branded car made in Eastern Europe.
But even if I had, I would never choose a Volvo if it was up against an Audi!
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
But even if I had, I would never choose a Volvo if it was up against an Audi!
Why not?
iamu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why not?
because brands and Audi is a German whip brah
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by iamu)
because brands and Audi is a German whip brah
Its only a German whip if it is made in Germany, newish and a higher end model
iamu
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its only a German whip if it is made in Germany, newish and a higher end model
lel

those that want a 'German whip' will take any Audi, Merc, Beamer

brb 13 year old a4, G whip
Runninground
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why not?
Idk it's just the brand. I would want a car that looks good and has a good brand. Nothing worse than seeing a car that looks really good, only to find out it's a Skoda or something!!

(Original post by iamu)
lel

those that want a 'German whip' will take any Audi, Merc, Beamer

brb 13 year old a4, G whip
I wouldn't take any Audi etc, only if it's a newish one.

I aint driving round in some clapped out old banger just because it's got some silver circles stuck on the front!!
iamu
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Idk it's just the brand. I would want a car that looks good and has a good brand. Nothing worse than seeing a car that looks really good, only to find out it's a Skoda or something!!

I wouldn't take any Audi etc, only if it's a newish one.

I aint driving round in some clapped out old banger just because it's got some silver circles stuck on the front!!
but volvo is a good brand and they do looks good
stirkee
Rep:
?
gone for the petrol.

The waiting game now begins!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.57%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (843)
42.55%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (384)
19.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed