Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    can you believe that art piece on David Beckham sleeping it so surreal. i'm for christ's sake leave the man alone i sleep but know one wants an art piece done on me. I think that people should just leave him alone and stop being fasinated by him.
    what do you think of David Beckham then.

ReputationRep:
    Isnt it there because he agreed on having it put there?...plus think how much they would have paid him to do that.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but why ask him in the first place his really not that great.... besides he doesn't really need the money, and i wonder if he ever gets tired of seeing his own face.

ReputationRep:
    he didn't get paid for it, the National Portrait Gallery just said he will be alongside Queen and other historical famous figures and he agreed to do it.

ReputationRep:
    ok then. but still do you think his getting to big for himself or do you think i'm being 2 hard on him?

ReputationRep:
    well then he agreed to do it....

ReputationRep:
    IT'S NOT ART!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Unfortunately it is. You just don't like it that's all.
    No it's not. It's just a video that's blagged its way into a gallery. And I never said that I don't like it. I just don't like it being called 'art' when it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    Ah but pretty much anything can be considered art.
    ...which really p*sses me off! This kind of thing shouldn't be considered 'art'. It does have its place but to say its on a level with the work of classic artists and composers is insulting. It's basically 'who's got the most original and bizarre idea?', which is fine - and some of the ideas are quite impressive, but it's not (or shouldn't be) put into the same league as real art.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree. Its partly the skill that someone's put into a work that makes it impressive for me.

There's a thread about this sort of thing somewhere here called 'modern art'. I was saying on that, if you've got a statement to make, why not just say it instead of making some poor excuse for a piece of art to express it? Could be because the things the artists have to say aren't really worth listening to, so they con us somewhat.
    Yeah, I got a bit het up on that thread. Saying the same thing as you. Just because it's different it doesn't mean it's good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    No it's not. It's just a video that's blagged its way into a gallery. And I never said that I don't like it. I just don't like it being called 'art' when it isn't.
    Have you actually seen it ? :rolleyes: Or any of Sam Taylor Wood's work ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Have you actually seen it ? :rolleyes: Or any of Sam Taylor Wood's work ?
    I have to admit it doesn't appeal to me. I'm not saying that all modern 'art' is crap, I just think it's so seperate from classic art and that they shouldn't be lumped together into the same category.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.