The Student Room Group

Uni loan doesn't even cover accommodation,help!

I'm hoping to start uni in 2016 so I know its a while away but my parents have just told me that i won't get any financial aid from them, it didn't seem like a big deal but I calculated I only get £3,731 and that doesn't even cover accommodation!

I intend to get a part time job(otherwise I will starve) but I don't expect to get much from that, certainly not the additional 6,000 I need (most unis predict 9,000 a year for living costs), any help?

Also it made me realise how unfair the system is, a friend of mine gets £7,500. We are both in the same position in that we get no help from parents yet she gets an extra 4,000?

I don't want to sound whiney but I really am worried, part of ,me thinks that I should not go to uni, but I want to be a solicitor so need a degree.
If your parents aren't prepared to support you financially why not speak to student support.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't know what your situation will be when you start uni so don't give up now
You can apply for grants or scholarships etc, or you can go to a uni closer to home so food and living expenses won't be as much if you choose to live at home and commute

But tbh you're thinking too far ahead, I've done the same and suffice to say it's all well and good planning and worrying about the future but if you don't get the grades you won't have the luxury of choosing whether to go or not so I say just leave it for now and come to it when you've got your grades and that becomes your immediate situation
Until then, relax n get good grades :smile:

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If your friend gets £4000 a year more than they are NOT in the same position as you.
Reply 4
Unis dont say £9000 a year. Some go up to 11,000 but most say £6500 at most

Posted from TSR Mobile
you can live on more like 6,000ish
you will need to be careful on which accommodation you select because most unis will have a variety of prices so take the cheapest on (be aware plenty of others will be in the same situation!)
get a job now and start saving because you may struggle to find one in your university town, if you can find a job which is likely to be able to transfer you when you start uni that is even better
your university will have hardship funds which you may be able to access and you will have your overdraft although you obviously shouldn't rely on these things

do your parents realise how much things will cost?
Original post by Pheoa101
I'm hoping to start uni in 2016 so I know its a while away but my parents have just told me that i won't get any financial aid from them, it didn't seem like a big deal but I calculated I only get £3,731 and that doesn't even cover accommodation!

I intend to get a part time job(otherwise I will starve) but I don't expect to get much from that, certainly not the additional 6,000 I need (most unis predict 9,000 a year for living costs), any help?

Also it made me realise how unfair the system is, a friend of mine gets £7,500. We are both in the same position in that we get no help from parents yet she gets an extra 4,000?

I don't want to sound whiney but I really am worried, part of ,me thinks that I should not go to uni, but I want to be a solicitor so need a degree.

Welcome to the wonderful world of student finance, it's not fair and the system is incredibly weighted in favour of people that the system defines as "poor" despite the fact that their numbers are pretty much arbitrary and there is very little correlation between household income and the level of financial support that parents give their kids.

I will say however that the £9,000 living costs fee is massively inflated. You can get by on around £6,000 if you live sensibly.

Anyway there's no point babying you here so quite simply you'll have to get a job and save up some money. You might have to take a gap year to work more hours and set more money aside, but there are huge numbers of students who do exactly that so don't even bother whining about it or trying to get people to pity you because your situation is nothing unusual in the slightest.
Reply 7
I would suggest when choosing a university check how much rent is for that area. Certain parts of the country have lower levels of rent eg Cardiff and a few others. That way you'll still have money left over to live on.
Take a gap year, work full-time and save.

Also, during the holidays at university, get a job.
I don't know which Uni you are choosing to go to, but I know a lot have extra student support if you need it. There are tons of grants and scholarships available when you actually get into a university, there is also usually more grants for students who show financial need. Don't worry no one is going to let you starve, just calm down and start saving now.
Unfortunately the government assumes that parents will help with money when their child goes to uni- could it be worth explaining this to your parents? What is their attitude towards your problem? My loan is £2000 less than my accommodation but my (very generous) parents are helping me out.
If your finance won't cover accommodation and your parents won't help, the answer is simple - go to a uni closer to home and commute.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending