Keep Economics in my degree or not? Watch

Gax
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I started studying Mathematics, Statistics and Financial Economics at Queen Mary two weeks ago and this last week I realised that I wasn't enjoying the Economics lectures and tutorials at all. I then decided to change my programme to just Maths and Stats. I want to train as an actuary when I graduate. However, when I told my parents about the change they basically had a fit and started going on about how studying economics is really useful and how it would be a good back-up should my pursuit to become an actuary fail. But I don't enjoy Economics anymore; I've been doing it since year 10 and really would not want to study it for another 3 years.

But I think that having a degree in just Maths and Stats would be good enough to get me a shot at a wide range of jobs after graduation, wouldn't it? I mean, I've already heard that getting a job as a graduate is hard these days anyway, but it is a decent degree, is it not? My parents also said that teaching might be the only job I can get with the degree if I can't make it as an actuary...is this true?

Any advice on whether I made the right decision would be very much appreciated. Also, if anyone else has been in a similar situation then I'd love to hear how you managed it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (239)
27.28%
No (637)
72.72%

Watched Threads