The Student Room Group

AQA Further maths grade boundaries?

I'm doing AQA further maths and I was wondering what the required marks are for an A*, A and B grade. I can't seem to find it online.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snotbag
I'm doing AQA further maths and I was wondering what the required marks are for an A*, A and B grade. I can't seem to find it online.

It changes each year. Last year, it was 144 for A^, 114 for A*, 85 for A and 60 for a B (over the two papers, out of 175).
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
It changes each year. Last year, it was 144 for A^, 114 for A*, 85 for A and 60 for a B (over the two papers, out of 175).

What is an A^? ;o and wow only bout half marks for an A ;D must be hard
Original post by vd12345
What is an A^? ;o and wow only bout half marks for an A ;D must be hard

A^ is a stupid grade AQA invented for this one qualification. Further Maths bridges between GCSE and AS, so someone decided it would be a great idea to invent a grade that nobody else recognises.
Reply 4
A^ is a stupid grade AQA invented for this one qualification. Further Maths bridges between GCSE and AS, so someone decided it would be a great idea to invent a grade that nobody else recognises.

Did you do further maths? ;D is it easy?
Like if I got A* in maths, would A* in further be that much harder?
Original post by vd12345
Did you do further maths? ;D is it easy?
Like if I got A* in maths, would A* in further be that much harder?

It's different. It's a lot less repetitive than Maths, so practising past papers is less useful. I personally didn't find it very challenging (but I was self teaching AS Maths at the same time). If you got an A* in Maths, you could probably get an A* in Further Maths. In my class, everyone got an A* in GCSE Maths and I think the majority got A*/A^ in Further.
I personally currently am studying further maths and maths alongside each other and am on course to an A* in normal maths according to my teachers but while I'm doing normal maths which I'm not finding too difficult but the further maths I'm doing right now is pretty tough imo, my exam board does pure maths, mechanics and statistics.

Pure maths - it's alright, wasn't too hard for me
Mechanics - haven't done it yet
Statistics - even though I've done like 5 topics in it, it's pretty tough for me and am only getting Bs and occasional As in homeworks...

Do it if you want to though, your choice.

btw the things I just wrote about my further maths course is CCEA (which you probably don't know since no one knows CCEA)
Original post by Trihawk7
I personally currently am studying further maths and maths alongside each other and am on course to an A* in normal maths according to my teachers but while I'm doing normal maths which I'm not finding too difficult but the further maths I'm doing right now is pretty tough imo, my exam board does pure maths, mechanics and statistics.

Pure maths - it's alright, wasn't too hard for me
Mechanics - haven't done it yet
Statistics - even though I've done like 5 topics in it, it's pretty tough for me and am only getting Bs and occasional As in homeworks...

Do it if you want to though, your choice.

btw the things I just wrote about my further maths course is CCEA (which you probably don't know since no one knows CCEA)

This thread is about GCSE Further Maths, not A Level Further Maths!
This thread is about GCSE Further Maths, not A Level Further Maths!

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. I'm GCSE :tongue:
Yeah that's what I'm talking about. I'm GCSE :tongue:

There's mechanics in a GCSE Further Maths qualification? Lucky you! AQA Further Maths is nowhere near as exciting.
It's different. It's a lot less repetitive than Maths, so practising past papers is less useful. I personally didn't find it very challenging (but I was self teaching AS Maths at the same time). If you got an A* in Maths, you could probably get an A* in Further Maths. In my class, everyone got an A* in GCSE Maths and I think the majority got A*/A^ in Further.

Thanks for the info man ;D
My teacher says she expects A* from most the class, and now it seems reasonable.
And the A^ is probably useless anyways :wink:
+repped
There's mechanics in a GCSE Further Maths qualification? Lucky you! AQA Further Maths is nowhere near as exciting.

Yeah, though even though statistics is further on in my textbook my school teaches it first because apparently mechanics is pretty hard so they teach that before we go for study leave :tongue:

http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/support/spec-changes/docs/GCSE%20Further%20Maths%20Spec.pdf
Original post by vd12345
Thanks for the info man ;D
My teacher says she expects A* from most the class, and now it seems reasonable.
And the A^ is probably useless anyways :wink:
+repped

Agreed, the A^ is useless and it makes life difficult when filling in application forms. I wish I hadn't got it.

Yeah, though even though statistics is further on in my textbook my school teaches it first because apparently mechanics is pretty hard so they teach that before we go for study leave :tongue:

http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/support/spec-changes/docs/GCSE%20Further%20Maths%20Spec.pdf

That looks considerably more demanding than AQA's spec!
(edited 9 years ago)
Agreed, the A^ is useless and it makes life difficult when filling in application forms. I wish I hadn't got it.

Did you write A^(higher than A*)?
^__^

That looks considerably more demanding than AQA's spec!

Wait are you serious? the italic'd "considerably" seems to be sarcasm to me for some reason? lol

It is :cry2: kind of regret taking further maths tbh... but still nice to know A Level stuff :smile: but still requires 90% for A* :frown:
Original post by vd12345
Did you write A^(higher than A*)?
^__^

After a slightly traumatising experience involving the A^, I've decided to just put A* everywhere. Obviously, I can't do that on UCAS so I just put A* w/ Distinction.

Wait are you serious? the italic'd "considerably" seems to be sarcasm to me for some reason? lol

It is :cry2: kind of regret taking further maths tbh... but still nice to know A Level stuff :smile: but still requires 90% for A* :frown:

No I'm serious. In terms of content, AQA Further Maths is basically paper 1 - all the mechanics and stats in paper 2 is beyond AQA's spec. In AQA's spec, there are quite a few "logicky" "maths challengy" style questions but at least in terms of content, your one has way more stuff. And from the looks of it, you'll have learned a substantial amount of content for C1, C2, S1 and M1 which puts you in good stead for next year.
(edited 9 years ago)

Well Aqa further is easy then, I guess :wink:
After a slightly traumatising experience involving the A^, I've decided to just put A* everywhere. Obviously, I can't do that on UCAS so I just put A* w/ Distinction.

Well in the textbook, its labelled as A**
Original post by vd12345
Well in the textbook, its labelled as A**

Are you sure we're talking about the same spec? Because AQA's Further Maths definitely symbolises it with A^.
Are you sure we're talking about the same spec? Because AQA's Further Maths definitely symbolises it with A^.

So all the **** my exam board makes me go through and still doesn't even allow me higher than A*... shoot me

Quick Reply