Turn on thread page Beta

English Language Choice HELP watch

ReputationRep:
    I've picked English language at A level, what's it like?
    Do you do linguistic analysis of extracts and what they say about characters and stuff (because i like going deep into linguistic analysis and what this verb says about character X)
    How is the workload?
    Is it fun or is combined more suitable?
    I'm kinda into the language theory kind of stuff but into the analysis of characters and poetry too? Should i pick language or literature, or combined? (BTW, i'm doing A combined in yr 11)
    Just for more info, i'm doing biology, chemistry, English language and maybe Psychology

ReputationRep:
    It would depend on the examboard and course you do; they all can be different. However, if you like poems and character analysis etc, then literature may be more suited for you. I haven't done combined, so I cannot comment on that, but some universalities would be more happy to see you do either lang or lit, rather than both.

With English language (AQA B) we have studied language and gender, language and power and now are onto learning how children acquire language as well as how English has changed throughout the years. In A2 you get to carry out your own investigation which is good preparation for any kind of degree, really. Workload isn't very bad and seems worse for friends who do literature.

It would probably be best to take both and then drop whichever one you least enjoy, or study the specifications and decide which one sounds better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuppa)
    It would depend on the examboard and course you do; they all can be different. However, if you like poems and character analysis etc, then literature may be more suited for you. I haven't done combined, so I cannot comment on that, but some universalities would be more happy to see you do either lang or lit, rather than both.

With English language (AQA B) we have studied language and gender, language and power and now are onto learning how children acquire language as well as how English has changed throughout the years. In A2 you get to carry out your own investigation which is good preparation for any kind of degree, really. Workload isn't very bad and seems worse for friends who do literature.

It would probably be best to take both and then drop whichever one you least enjoy, or study the specifications and decide which one sounds better.
    Thanks, what kind of analysis do you do in language? (if you do any)
    and do you do creative writing and stuff?? Just curious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loyale)
    I've picked English language at A level, what's it like?
    Do you do linguistic analysis of extracts and what they say about characters and stuff (because i like going deep into linguistic analysis and what this verb says about character X)
    How is the workload?
    Is it fun or is combined more suitable?
    I'm kinda into the language theory kind of stuff but into the analysis of characters and poetry too? Should i pick language or literature, or combined? (BTW, i'm doing A combined in yr 11)
    Just for more info, i'm doing biology, chemistry, English language and maybe Psychology
    I do both English lit (AQA B) and English Lang (AQA A)

In the first year of language we did language acquisition and analysing texts (i got a B in the exam and a C in the coursework which brought me down to a C overall)

In lit your teacher tells you which texts you will study, you do 2 books and 2 poets, we did the kite runner, pride and prejudice, Christina Rossetti and John Keats. I was one mark off an A in the coursework and got an A in the exam so i got an A overall.

If you can't decide which to do look at past exam papers on your exam board and see which is more suited to you

If you need anything else ask me any questions

Just to let you know we don't do creative writing but I don't know about other exam boards

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jo890)
    I do both English lit (AQA B) and English Lang (AQA A)

In the first year of language we did language acquisition and analysing texts (i got a B in the exam and a C in the coursework which brought me down to a C overall)

In lit your teacher tells you which texts you will study, you do 2 books and 2 poets, we did the kite runner, pride and prejudice, Christina Rossetti and John Keats. I was one mark off an A in the coursework and got an A in the exam so i got an A overall.

If you can't decide which to do look at past exam papers on your exam board and see which is more suited to you

If you need anything else ask me any questions

Just to let you know we don't do creative writing but I don't know about other exam boards

Posted from TSR Mobile
    do you do linguistic analysis of characters in language or is that ,ore for combined english?

How hard are they separately?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, what kind of analysis do you do in language? (if you do any)
    and do you do creative writing and stuff?? Just curious
    Well, it mostly depends on which course you do. Personally, I have written a dramatic monologue (fiction text in own style) and a review (a non-fiction text in someone else's style, e.g. to fit a specific magazine).

The analysis is mainly applying the theories etc you have learned to text. So, for example, is this woman's speech accurate to what language theories predict? How does this specific person show power in this conversation? Why is this leaflet effective? Why did the author use slang in this advertisement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuppa)
    Well, it mostly depends on which course you do. Personally, I have written a dramatic monologue (fiction text in own style) and a review (a non-fiction text in someone else's style, e.g. to fit a specific magazine).

The analysis is mainly applying the theories etc you have learned to text. So, for example, is this woman's speech accurate to what language theories predict? How does this specific person show power in this conversation? Why is this leaflet effective? Why did the author use slang in this advertisement?
    Oh cool, thanks, i really like the linguistic analysis of characters and how the writer potrays X through the structural patterns and stuff.. Should i pick combined english?

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool, thanks, i really like the linguistic analysis of characters and how the writer potrays X through the structural patterns and stuff.. Should i pick combined english?
    I feel like you'd enjoy literature. But you can try the combined option. Though like I've mentioned before, if you want to do something English-related later, some universities might be sceptical about combined and prefer you to have literature (rather than language, but that's probably because language simply isn't very popular A-level).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cuppa)
    I feel like you'd enjoy literature. But you can try the combined option. Though like I've mentioned before, if you want to do something English-related later, some universities might be sceptical about combined and prefer you to have literature (rather than language, but that's probably because language simply isn't very popular A-level).
    Thanks you've helped me quite a bit... I might do them separately and change one in the first couple of weeks or drop it on the first year

ReputationRep:
    do you do linguistic analysis of characters in language or is that ,ore for combined english?

How hard are they separately?
    Language and lit are two completely different things so it's like 2 different subjects like maths and law and I don't know about combined

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.