The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There's no reason to disrespect single mothers or fathers. There are a lot of reasons why a person can become a single parent, even if they've done their very best to be as secure as they possibly can be before having children - relationship-wise, career-wise, money-wise etc. Nobody can know how things will turn out a year, five years, or ten years in the future.

Being a single parent isn't easy. I'm not one myself, but my mother was (until she married my stepfather), and I know a couple of women who are. Both work hard and they are good parents. None of them could have expected what happened. It just happened, and they've done the best they could. They don't deserve to be demonised - far from it. Their kids are happy, creative, well-mannered and pleasant to be around, and that's an achievement for any parent, single or not.
Original post by ShutUpLegs
"According to the Index of Leading Cultural Indicators, children from single-parent families account for 63 percent of all youth suicides, 70 percent of all teenage pregnancies, 71 percent of all adolescent chemical/substance abuse, 80 percent of all prison inmates, and 90 percent of all homeless and runaway children.

"It found that children brought up in single-mother homes ‘are five times more likely to commit suicide, nine times more likely to drop out of high school, 10 times more likely to abuse chemical substances, 14 times more likely to commit rape (for the boys), 20 times more likely to end up in prison, and 32 times more likely to run away from home.’"

Should add these are from the US but even so.

(Sauce: http://scottthong.wordpress.com/2009/04/16/ann-coulters-statistics-on-single-motherhood-and-the-suffering-it-causes/)

That may be so, but what can a woman do if she ends up as a single mother? I know it's anecdotal evidence, but I'll take the example of a friend of mine. Happily married for several years, both had a good career, they'd bought a house, and both really wanted to have a baby together. That's about as secure as you can get.

Then, when the baby was born, her husband couldn't cope with being a parent. He wanted everything to be exactly the same as before the baby was born. Not his fault, I suppose. Not my friend's fault or the baby's fault, either. They tried for a long while, but it just wasn't working out and eventually they parted ways. He still has access to his daughter whenever he wants to, and he's getting a bit better, even took her on a holiday this year, but on the whole it's my friend looking after her, alone.

So, what should she have done? Her husband couldn't cope with fatherhood. Should she have forced him? Should she tackle some unsuspecting man in the street and force him to marry her and be a father figure?
Original post by Kittiara
There's no reason to disrespect single mothers or fathers. There are a lot of reasons why a person can become a single parent, even if they've done their very best to be as secure as they possibly can be before having children - relationship-wise, career-wise, money-wise etc. Nobody can know how things will turn out a year, five years, or ten years in the future.

Being a single parent isn't easy. I'm not one myself, but my mother was (until she married my stepfather), and I know a couple of women who are. Both work hard and they are good parents. None of them could have expected what happened. It just happened, and they've done the best they could. They don't deserve to be demonised - far from it. Their kids are happy, creative, well-mannered and pleasant to be around, and that's an achievement for any parent, single or not.

Exactly my point. Repped
Original post by Secretnerd123
Exactly my point. Repped

Thank you :colondollar:.
Reply 24
I don't really want children, and definitely wouldn't want one that wasn't mine. It's not hard to find someone that hasn't been pregnant before. I don't know why anyone in our day and age wouldn't have an abortion if they were a single mother. FYI my mum was a single mum.
Original post by SuperDuperNoob
There's a very informative piece on this by Shawn James. You can read the full thing here. http://shawnsjames.blogspot.in/2013/04/ways-single-mothers-destroy-their-sons.html I've copypasted some bits here. Enjoy!

The most toxic environment for a boy growing up is a single mother household. I can tell readers from personal experience that boys don’t get all their needs met in a single parent household. Many of the lessons they learn in that hostile territory growing up make them into lost, confused men with no defined sense of identity.

How does a single mother destroy her son? Let me count the ways:
Speaking negatively about their father.
Saying negative things about men.
Teaching their sons to disrespect their fathers’ authority.
Teaching their sons to disrespect male authority and male authority figures.
Projecting anger at the father onto the son.
Not allowing their father to see them.
Bringing in substitutes for a father.
Coddling their sons.
Inconsistent discipline.
Teaching boys to be emotional.
Not teaching their sons what boundaries are.
Not teaching their sons coping skills.
Establishing a co-dependent relationship.
Smothering.
Bullying
Trying to run his life
Thinking she can raise a man be a man on her terms.
Trying to turn their sons into “Perfect” people.
Not encouraging them or supporting them in their quest to become independent men.
Not encouraging boys to embrace their masculinity.
Not encouraging boys to embrace their sexuality.
Misleading boys about Male/female relationships.
Sabotaging his relationships with women.

I call this bull..
Well what are the mothers supposed to do? Just abandon their kids to be with their man?
If a guy truly loves you, he will want you whether you're single or have 10 kids. It wouldn't make a difference to him IMO

That is wishful thinking.
Original post by Scott.
I don't really want children, and definitely wouldn't want one that wasn't mine. It's not hard to find someone that hasn't been pregnant before. I don't know why anyone in our day and age wouldn't have an abortion if they were a single mother. FYI my mum was a single mum.

Unfortunately, they would then get BS for having an abortion. Also sometimes the guy legs it out of the relationship much later into the pregnancy (so she can't get an abortion at that stage) or after the child is born. And some women wouldn't have an abortion no matter what due to religious reasons or other personal beliefs regarding the matter.
Original post by ForgetMe
I call this bull..

You beat me to it :laugh:
lmao at even the thought of raising another dudes kids

theres pathetic and then theres that
My sister became a single mother when her marriage broke down - the last straw was was when her husband drank the money she had saved for her children's school shoes. She devoted herself to them and only remarried two years ago, after thirteen years as a single mother.

One of my nieces is also a single parent - she separated from the father after he assaulted her and threw her across the room while she was pregnant. She has a beautiful little boy who suffers from a debilitating medical condition which often requires hospitalisation.

However there are also a lot of single fathers who are struggling to bring up their families, but who don't get the disapproval that single mothers receive. There are also a large number of fathers who long to be part of their children's lives but who have to fight against both the mothers and the courts to gain access to their children.

Life is rarely black and white. Anyone who is willing to face and accept the responsibility of being a parent is deserving of our support.
Original post by bertstare

Well said. Voluntarily cuckolding yourself is utterly reprehensible.

Women, learn this lesson before it's too late: becoming a single mother will absolutely KILL your chances with desirable men. The only 'males' who would seriously consider dating you are at the bottom of the barrel and have no other options.

Marry a decent guy when you are young and desirable.

So you think it's pathetic to provide a fatherly figure for a child who doesn't have a loving father? I think that's downright charitable and very admirable. I'm sure there are a lot of kids in this world who are grateful for the fact that they got a second chance at having a dad.
Original post by Helen_in_Ireland
My sister became a single mother when her marriage broke down - the last straw was was when her husband drank the money she had saved for her children's school shoes. She devoted herself to them and only remarried two years ago, after thirteen years as a single mother.

One of my nieces is also a single parent - she separated from the father after he assaulted her and threw her across the room while she was pregnant. She has a beautiful little boy who suffers from a debilitating medical condition which often requires hospitalisation.

However there are also a lot of single fathers who are struggling to bring up their families, but who don't get the disapproval that single mothers receive. There are also a large number of fathers who long to be part of their children's lives but who have to fight against both the mothers and the courts to gain access to their children.

Life is rarely black and white. Anyone who is willing to face and accept the responsibility of being a parent is deserving of our support.

Thanks for your input :smile:
I agree 100%

Btw does your neice's son have those health problems brcause of the asdault inflicted on your cousin whilst she was pregnant?

Original post by Heartiste
Well said. Voluntarily cuckolding yourself is utterly reprehensible.

Women, learn this lesson before it's too late: becoming a single mother will absolutely KILL your chances with desirable men. The only 'males' who would seriously consider dating you are at the bottom of the barrel and have no other options.

Lool oh wow
Original post by Scott.
I don't really want children, and definitely wouldn't want one that wasn't mine. It's not hard to find someone that hasn't been pregnant before. I don't know why anyone in our day and age wouldn't have an abortion if they were a single mother.

How can you abort existing children? 0.0
Original post by Heartiste

Sounds like a good way for women to filter out the likes of you.

Shotgun?

Lol bit harsh
Original post by Bill_Gates
Women if you want to survive, make sure you stay close to your man.

200350109-001.jpg

Lmao
The previous thread was rather less an issue of men maturely saying, "I don't think I have what it takes to be a stepfather, so I wouldn't date a single mother" and more an issue of some posts being actively contemptuous towards men who were willing to be stepfathers. Such posts were couched in such general terms as to also include adoptive parents in their derision.

It's fine to not be attracted to others. It's rather less fine to condemn others for dating people you don't want to date. That's just... odd.

But hey, if you want all your fellow men to want exactly the same women as you, that's your wish. :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39

I should have said going to be.

But there are ways of aborting living children....Not legal or advised mind.

Latest