The Student Room Group

Studying ACCA by myself to improve grad scheme chances?

Hi everyone this is my first post here.
I graduated from Loughborough University this year with a first class honours in Computing and Management BSc. I applied to a finance jobs in the last xmas period but didn't end up getting any of the jobs I applied for (I got a few phone interviews, but only applied to about 15 companies so I can do better this year I'm sure). At the time I was predicted a 2:1.
I am now about to start applying again for the 2015 grad schemes, and hopefully my achieved 1st will give me a small advantage on my previous situation. But I want to do whatever I can to sway the odds in my favour, so I am considering starting the ACCA at home, and getting a couple of exams out of the way to show employers that I am taking a step in the right direction.
What I want to know is how much impact is this likely to actually have?
Also if a company's deadline for applications is the 31th of December, would I be better off submitting my application now, or waiting for a month or 2 until I have at least one ACCA exam under my belt? (There is a centre close to me that hold computer based assessments weekly so I don't have to wait until the normal time). Or is an early application likely to have more impact?

Any information would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
depends what sort of finance job you apply for but in general CIMA exams are more likely to impress. http://www.cimaglobal.com/

What are you actually doing now? Some work experience would help.
Reply 2
Many many graduate jobs are first come first served so I would suggest spending your time on making as many high quality applications as you can is much more likely to be productive.

On top of that, I can think of far better ways of spending your time/money than messing about with professional exams. Spend some time working/volunteering/travelling/doing something even remotely interesting that you'll be able to discuss at interview
Reply 3
I'm not sure that it applies to all graduate schemes; but some I have applied for within finance have said that anyone who has started their professional qualifications is not eligible to apply for the scheme. So while it is indeed beneficial, it could also be a case of shooting yourself in the foot. I am in a similar situation to yourself but I am taking my time in exercising whether I want to start qualifications now or wait a while.
Hi guys

I am looking for some advice aswell on whether to study for the ACCA course. I live in the UK. I did my undergraduate degree in Marketing and Business. I achieved a 2.1 and have worked in Sales, and Account Management (Marketing) for the last 2 years. I have recently left my Account Management role and am joining a different company (which I hope will be better) to do Account Management. Honestly speaking, I can’t say that I am enjoying Account Management in Marketing. I have also come to understand the marketing industry a bit more since leaving uni I have noticed two things about the marketing industry: 1) average pay is lower in comparison to Accounting (especially for graduates such as myself and 2) there is a lack of structure in terms of career development (which also has to do with me working Agency side rather than client side). The last point means that people move around companies quite a lot in order to move up or get better pay.

I did a couple of modules in Accounting at uni which I didn’t really focus on as I wanted to get good grades in my marketing modules. Most of my friends at Uni studied Accounting and it seems that what they learned they apply in their jobs (excel skills etc.). I can’t really say the same thing for marketing as my degree didn’t really give you any practical skills apart from research. The long term prospects seem better in the Accounting industry.

So I am considering studying for the ACCA qualification part time over two years. This will involve me brushing up on my Excel and Maths skills and quitting my marketing job. I know that it is a long term commitment and that the papers are quite difficult. I will also need to get some work experience on the side. As I live at home for cultural reasons and am probably not going anywhere anytime soon. I thought to myself why not try and build a career in a respected industry, with better prospects and better pay.

Could anyone shed any light on whether it’s easy for people from non-accounting backgrounds to study and succeed in the ACCA qualification?

Also I have a C in Maths GCSE, but 2.1 Business Degree with modules in Accounting and Data mining. Is this enough to succeed at ACCA?

Also I live in the East Midlands could anyone suggest a good institution to study at?

Thanks
To svedebo. I'd say don't worry about doing the ACCA exams. You're still fresh out of uni so there's no point going down that route until about a year since you could just end up wasting money and time (if you got a job) . Follow the advice of the other person, do something almost self indulgent with your free time (volunteering, travelling, camp America, learn a language or an instrument)

To grootejung

Is it easy for people from non accounting backgrounds? Yes-ish. Ish because you'll be stepping into a different world so your capacity to motivate yourself in the unknown will be tested. But yes.

Your grades are fine. Although, it may prove extremely difficult to get on a grad scheme, which may, or may not, be your goal. It might prove advantageous to call up a few charities and ask if they need any volunteers/interns.
I was in a similar position to you earlier this year so I know the struggle lol. God heard my cry and gave me a job in finance. The

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending