The Student Room Group

Should I do Masters then LPC ?

Hey everyone,

Basically I am studying Law at a French university (I am French educated) and I am in my 3rd and final year.
I always wanted to do my postgraduate degree in a foreign, English-speaking country.

I have recently heard of the LPC, but my whole life I had always planned on doing a Masters. Is the LPC as good as having a Masters degree?
Would it be coherent to do a Masters degree (to figure out what I want and stuff) and THEN do a LPC? Does it make any sense?

I am kind of confused on what to do, and I would like to take a convenient option (in France it takes like 3 years to become a Lawyer, or at least to pass the Bar).

Thank you in advance!
It depends where you want to work, most law firms really don't care if you have your masters or not, it's all about people skills. However if you really want to do it go ahead! An LLM is an impressive qualification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Pheoa101
It depends where you want to work, most law firms really don't care if you have your masters or not, it's all about people skills. However if you really want to do it go ahead! An LLM is an impressive qualification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your answer!
Being an expat child, I am probably going to be travelling around for quite a while before deciding where to settle down. So I want to be able to keep my options open... Plus, an LPC can be completed in 10 months or even 7 months I think? So maybe a 1year Master program then LPC can be good..?
Original post by sosoferney
Thank you for your answer!
Being an expat child, I am probably going to be travelling around for quite a while before deciding where to settle down. So I want to be able to keep my options open... Plus, an LPC can be completed in 10 months or even 7 months I think? So maybe a 1year Master program then LPC can be good..?

If you want to do a Masters for academic interest, absolutely do it, the LPC is a very different course targeted at practical skills.

However, unlike France there's no need to have anything above undergrad (L3 equivalent) in order to become a lawyer, so a Masters (M1 or M2 level) would purely be for personal interest.

If you want the above in French I can do it, just can't be bothered if not necessary.
Reply 4
Thank you for your answer, appreciate it :smile:
I'm starting to understand the difference now, between Masters and LPC... Now I am wondering, if I only have the LPC as a qualification, would that make me eligible to work for any law firm in the world? By that I mean, not an English law firm... My main question is: is the LPC enough?
By the way do you have any experience with the french system? Because you seem to know a bit about it!
So I was thinking either doing the LPC now (if I get accepted and the timing is right, for me to move to England, because I'm not even in Europe), in 10 months, or doing a year of Masters and then LPC in 7 months in order to become a qualified lawyer (I mean, solicitor).
Did you do the LPC?
Original post by sosoferney
Thank you for your answer, appreciate it :smile:
I'm starting to understand the difference now, between Masters and LPC... Now I am wondering, if I only have the LPC as a qualification, would that make me eligible to work for any law firm in the world? By that I mean, not an English law firm... My main question is: is the LPC enough?
By the way do you have any experience with the french system? Because you seem to know a bit about it!
So I was thinking either doing the LPC now (if I get accepted and the timing is right, for me to move to England, because I'm not even in Europe), in 10 months, or doing a year of Masters and then LPC in 7 months in order to become a qualified lawyer (I mean, solicitor).
Did you do the LPC?

No, the LPC is specific to the England and Wales. If you do the LPC, a training contract (equivalent of stage) and then get admitted as a solicitor you can usually take a transfer test of some kind, but it's only guaranteed within the EU.

Yes, I studied in France for a year.

You could do that, but the LPC is not particularly hard to get onto, a training contract is where the squeeze is, the two year training period post LPC.

Yes.
Do it !!! It will help you progress! I'm definitely going to do one then lpc afterwards! You're in a really good position you could work at Ashurst/Clifford chance in Paris! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hey everyone,

I emailed the University of Law and basically they told me that my overseas Law degree probably won't be considered as a "qualifying Law degree"...

I don't know if it's worth it, to do GDL then LPC ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending