Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I always wonder how parents feel when their own child goes to university; as in the first day of university and throughout the whole university experience. Do you feel a mixture of anxiety? fear? loneliness? worry? proud?

What would you tell other parents if they feel the way you have felt?

Please, do share

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    I always wonder how parents feel when their own child goes to university; as in the first day of university and throughout the whole university experience. Do you feel a mixture of anxiety? fear? loneliness? worry? proud?

What would you tell other parents if they feel the way you have felt?

Please, do share
    Euphoric, liberated, proud and nosy.

ReputationRep:
    mine was being a pain before they left because they were nervous about making new friends so there was a mixture of anxiety about whether they would be homesick, relief that I wasn't going to be snapped at every 5 minutes, satisfaction in actually getting them there and a feeling of redundancy.

What would I tell other parents - plan something good for yourselves to help get you over the initial stage. Think positive - you'll have more time, the food bill will go down, you won't be tied to school holidays for your holidays in future. Start thinking before they leave about what you will do with your new free time but be prepared for some having problems and needing you quite a lot. Make sure they know they can always come to you for help, some do have considerable prblems with flat mates. Prepare them - don't let them think everyone has a great time from day 1.

Wish I'd thought to plan something for them leaving in year 2.

ReputationRep:
    My daughter just started her second year and what a difference 12 months have made! This time last year I was a wreck as she is my youngest child. I had done such a successful job of preparing her for Uni that she wasn't bothered in the slightest, I had all these plans that we would Skype and talk on the phone, but texting is what actually happened as I was an emotional wreck!! Took my husband and myself about 2 months to get used to being empty nesters, makes you realise how much your relationship changes when you are finally back to being just a couple again.

I didn't want her coming home, as I knew it would unsettle her, so popped in to see her at half-term. topped up her food cupboards and breathed a sigh of relief.

I can recommend installing WhatsApp, you can text and send photos for free over the Internet. We had fun sharing photos of her cooking disasters and the state of her room!!

This year we waved goodbye and not a tear was shed

ReputationRep:
    Does the sex pick up, that's what I want to know.

ReputationRep:
    lol theres a section for parents on this forum? Time to make my posts anonymous =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deepregret38)
    lol theres a section for parents on this forum? Time to make my posts anonymous =/
    Didn't know parents would be on here well mostly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was very happy when mine left to go to university as she was following in my footsteps. Does blow a big hole in my pocket though as I have to pay for all of her living expenses as originally she was supposed to go back to Sweden for her university but I told her maybe she should go to England instead as I was worried her command of the Swedish language though good might not be good enough for pursuing such a difficult subject at university. If she had gone to Sweden then we wouldn't have had to pay for her living expenses.

I'm very proud that she didn't end up as a statistic because she was born when I had barely turned 18 and had zero preparation for her arrival.

Other feelings? Well from young I've always made it practice that my kids are never number 1 priority every time.

Fear and worry? There was nothing to fear or worry as I knew she knows how to take care of herself. I suppose end of the day she is a big girl and if she still can't take care of herself then there isn't anything else I should do.

Few more years and will have another one going to university, this one still hasn't decided where she wants to go. She has set her sights on MIT and Stanford. Her other options are she wants to go to Finland or Singapore. This one I'm a bit more worried about as is my bank account if she chooses to go to America.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.