The Student Room Group

Should we encourage or discourage single motherhood?

Poll

Should we encourage or discourage single motherhood?

We get what we incentivise. Given the harmful effect broken homes have on children, I think we should STRONGLY disincentivise single motherhood. (Widows are completely different and deserve lots of sympathy.)

The worse single motherhood gets, the fewer single mothers we will have in the future and the more children we will save from the harmful effects of broken homes. Women who make bad choices need suffer the consequences like an adult, rather than pretend they are passive victims with no personal agency like a child.

Some people want to make life easier for single mothers, but this will increase the number of children who get harmed in the future.

Please - think of the children, and do everything in your power to discourage broken homes (e.g. shun and ostracise single mothers, vote against parties that want to provide more financial support for single mothers, ostracise men who abandon their families, etc).

[video="youtube;RybNI0KB1bg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybNI0KB1bg[/video]

Scroll to see replies

I think we should encourage people to mind their own business. People become single parents for many reasons, a lot of which can't really be helped by shaming single parenthood.
I'm pretty certain that most people don't start out with the intention of being a single mother, it's the result of things largely out of their control. Are you seriously saying that if a woman finds herself in an awful relationship, she should just 'deal with it' (it's so easy to say, isn't it?) and let it ruin her life?
Where's the option for 'just leave it as it is because it's not necessarily a good or bad thing to be in a relationship or single when a parent'?
Reply 4
I think we should discourage parenthood if the parents are not able/ready to support children; I don't think discouraging only single motherhood is necessary.
You can't blame people for having failed relationships.

But you can blame them for being daft enough to have unprotected sex, and then not aborting the baby if they don't have the means to support it, and a stable relationship for it to grow up around.
Why do children necessarily need to have two parents who are still together? Why do they need two parents at all? Surely one amazing parent is better than two substandard or abusive ones.
Moved to educational debate :h:
Reply 8
Generally, we should discourage it. However, if a parent has a large supportive social circle, which includes both men and women, then I don't think it is a big problem. Like they say, "it takes a village to raise a child". The problem is that currently, most single parents are on their own, and that is just too much to handle, for both the parent and the children, hence the problems.
Reply 9
Obviously they should be discouraged because of the negative affects as you point out, so why is there even a "we should encourage them" option? if anyone chooses that then they are just trolls, scroungers who want money or ignorant people who don't care about the consequences.
Reply 10
Would be interesting to know if children of well-off single parents have fewer problems than children of normal and poor single parents. (If rich single parents bring up better behaved children then it likely is down to them having more money rather than being inherently better at parenting. In that case, the advantage of having double over single parents may just be the higher income. But I don't know if that is the case.)
Loaded question is loaded.

Also, it's like saying that assistance for disabled people is 'encouraging' disability or that pensions and benefits for the elderly and infirm 'encourages' more people to be old.
I don't think any woman asks to be a single mother. :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Why do children necessarily need to have two parents who are still together? Why do they need two parents at all? Surely one amazing parent is better than two substandard or abusive ones.

Stop thinking outside the box.
leading question = invalid survey

do you even statistics?
Reply 15
Original post by anarchism101

Also, it's like saying that assistance for disabled people is 'encouraging' disability or that pensions and benefits for the elderly and infirm 'encourages' more people to be old.

It really isn't. Contraception is universally available. People should be expected to act responsibly, and we should not pretend that impregnation is something completely out of their control. A child rarely is an accident - it can happen, but it is definitely not the norm.
Of course, all other things being equal, we should discourage single motherhood. I fail to see how anyone could say we should actively encourage it, while not being a crazy 1970s lesbian utopian feminist...

Discouraging it financially could cause a whole load of problems though.

Original post by anarchism101

I hardly think support for single mothers should be removed, but your analogies are pretty facile. Unlike becoming disabled or getting old, there is this crazy idea that people make a positive decision to have sex rather than it being something that just happens to you, and in so doing they accept the consequences.

This is the philosophy behind child support payments and not allowing men to have a say in whether their child is aborted or not.

If procreative sex is something that just happens, then men must be treated according to the same philosophy, and thus cannot be expected to bear that burden. Which opens up the question of how support is funded.

Or otherwise we can just go along with the present double standard where sex is something perpetrated by men that happens to women.
None? As long as they raise their damn children to follow the rules of society.
I don't understand why this thread is aimed at just single mothers? why not single parents? Or are single fathers for some reason so much better than single mothers?

OP clearly lacks basic empathy.
Reply 19
Strong appeal to maternal natures and pop-culture, please give up

Actually you've pissed me off. My sister and my 9 month old niece were abandoned last week by their 32 year old boyfriend. But that's OK because alpha males are supposed to be polygamous and women are naturally hypergamous so young single mums will find a new rich successful alpha to temporarily leech off sooner or later, right OP? :wink:

in case you can't tell I'm being SARCASTIC
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending