Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2014

Watch
geneticist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2014 was divided, one half awarded to John O'Keefe, the other half jointly to May-Britt Moser and Edvard I. Moser*"for their discoveries of cells that constitute a positioning system in the brain".

More from the Nobel committee on that “inner GPS system” that helps us navigate our environment:The sense of place and the ability to navigate are fundamental to our existence. The sense of place gives a perception of position in the environment. During navigation, it is interlinked with a sense of distance that is based on motion and knowledge of previous positions.Questions about place and navigation have engaged philosophers and scientists for a long time. More than 200 years ago, the German philosopher Immanuel Kant argued that some mental abilities exist as a priori knowledge, independent of experience. He considered the concept of space as an inbuilt principle of the mind, one through which the world is and must be perceived. With the advent of behavioural psychology in the mid-20th century, these questions could be addressed experimentally. When Edward Tolman examined rats moving through labyrinths, he found that they could learn how to navigate, and proposed that a “cognitive map” formed in the brain allowed them to find their way. But questions still lingered – how would such a map be represented in the brain?

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/science/l...holm-2014-live

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_priz...aureates/2014/

Isn't it exciting? What are your thoughts?
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Excited, May Britt and Edvard both did their post-docs at Edinburgh Congrats to UCL as well with Prof. John O'Keefe
geneticist
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
12.82%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.97%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.13%
I need help with my personal statement (32)
41.03%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (20)
25.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.56%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
3.85%

Watched Threads