Would you be an organ donor if your country had an Opt out system?

Watch
Poll: Do you like the idea of an opt-out system for organ donation (you have to say no)
Yes, I think it would increase the number of donnors (13)
86.67%
Yes, but I worry it will decrease the number of donnors (0)
0%
No, I don't think it would increae the number of donnors (2)
13.33%
No, I don't like the idea of organ donation anyway (0)
0%
Unsure (say why below if you want!) (0)
0%
crazycat829x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I'm doing a debate on Wednesday about whether or not the U.K. should adopt an opt out system for organ donation, I'm just curious to see what people on here think. I'll use anything I think is good though you can remain anonymous (or if you want people to know I'll say your user name). Any opinion is good and I welcome all ideas, thank you for your time. (Also if this is then the wrong area I'll move it )
Anonymous #1
Report 6 years ago
This is a weird one for me - I do welcome the idea of organ donation.

I have multiple sclerosis and as no one knows what causes this condition they will not let me be a blood donor but for some strange reason this does not exempt me from organ donation in the event of my death.

Don't know if this is because the recipient of the organ could be told I have MS and then make their own choice as to the risks this could incur but I do find it a strange situation and makes me undecided as to whether I would be willing to donate my organs.

A different point of view but I hope it helps.
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it is right as opt-in. I'm an organ donor out of choice. Many people say they would accept an organ if needed and would offer one in the reverse situation but then don't bother signing up. I think if they wanted more donors they could try more effective marketing campaigns in getting people to sign up.

Opting out would leave a negative social stigma as you would feel that you were judged for opting out.
asdfghjkl1234567
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm already an organ donor so I definitely would!
I quite like the idea of an opt-out system as it would bring in so many more donors that previously never got round to signing up, however I agree that opting out might create a stigma It's a hard choice, but I think an opt-out system would benefit us as I know so many people who want to donate but just never sign up.
blackened_sky
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think it should be opt-out myself. There's no reason not to be an organ donor bar religious or health reasons in my opinion. There are lots of people who don't really mind either way but they never bother signing up. It's something we should be made more aware of.
I'm both an organ and blood donor and I'm happy knowing I could be helping people who desperately need my blood now, and my organs when I'm gone (I don't tend to do many nice things haha)
SirMasterKey
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by asdfghjkl1234567)
I'm already an organ donor so I definitely would!
I quite like the idea of an opt-out system as it would bring in so many more donors that previously never got round to signing up, however I agree that opting out might create a stigma It's a hard choice, but I think an opt-out system would benefit us as I know so many people who want to donate but just never sign up.
In which case direct them to where it is they can sign up and tell them that it takes just a few minutes. I joined when I was applying for my provisional driving license. It was more of a case that as it was there I would do it whereas before I had always said that I would be open to it and never actually signed up.

It is unlikely that the government will change it soon so if people mention it in conversation to you, tell them where to sign up and what it involves as you've done it. It's what I'll be doing now whenever it comes up in conversation. Although I'll be sending them to the normal web-site to sign up rather than when applying for your driving license as most of my friends already drive.
Limpopo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am already a chattel of the state and a slave. I want to preserve what little i have left and so i support the continuance of an opt in system and i am not opted in nor am i ever likely to be.
crazycat829x
Rep:
?
Wow, didn't expect my post to get this much attention (well what I think is a lot of attention), thanks to everyone who posted it was great getting a range of response, feel free to keep discussing it though
rainbowclare
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Opt in and opt out don't actually make much difference to the number of donors. They are pretty much the same. What increases the number of donors is specially trained staff providing support to the loved ones of someone who has died. This increases the number of donors significantly because at the end of the day, even if you are an organ donor and your family say no then they don't take your organs.
MancStudent098
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Limpopo)
I am already a chattel of the state and a slave. I want to preserve what little i have left and so i support the continuance of an opt in system and i am not opted in nor am i ever likely to be.
You'd turn down a life saving organ transplant if you needed it then?
iEatMuFFiNS
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't like the idea of being cut open and taken apart...
miser
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think the UK should switch to being opt-out. If people are so easily swayed on the issue by the default option on a form, they don't care about the issue very much. And given that organ availability is a matter of life and death, I think we would be more than justified to switch to being opt-out.
crazycat829x
Rep:
?
Personally my take on the issue is that people need to be persuaded not just forced. Raising awareness will make it easier for people to decide. Also if we went with an opt-out system when would children be opted in? Would we take children's organs to save the lives of other children. Debate starts at 1:30 so if you have any earth shattering opinions please voice them now (or later, I just won't be able to mention).
Oh yeah not going to use any names (I'll just say users on the student room) unless you really want your name used
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I like the idea of it being opt-out, provided that there was actually a clear way that people could opt out. This would greatly increase the number of organs able to be donated in that all the people who could never be bothered or get round to sign up would be. At the same time, anyone who actively didn't want to be a donor wouldn't have to be

Posted from TSR Mobile
crazycat829x
Rep:
?
(Original post by furryface12)
I like the idea of it being opt-out, provided that there was actually a clear way that people could opt out. This would greatly increase the number of organs able to be donated in that all the people who could never be bothered or get round to sign up would be. At the same time, anyone who actively didn't want to be a donor wouldn't have to be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I like what you said about having a clear way to opt-out! Do you mind if I use that?
furryface12
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by crazycat829x)
Oh, I like what you said about having a clear way to opt-out! Do you mind if I use that?
No problem!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Juan Mata
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by blackened_sky)
I think it should be opt-out myself. There's no reason not to be an organ donor bar religious or health reasons in my opinion. There are lots of people who don't really mind either way but they never bother signing up. It's something we should be made more aware of.
I'm both an organ and blood donor and I'm happy knowing I could be helping people who desperately need my blood now, and my organs when I'm gone (I don't tend to do many nice things haha)
Religion is a terrible reason
Unruly Marmite
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are some organs that I hate the thought of donating- like my eyes, shudder,- but mostly I would be a donor. I'd be dead anyway, it doesn't make any difference to me.
crazycat829x
Rep:
?
I'd like to thank everyone who commented, we won the debate (I was arguing for an opt-in system, we all get placed in random teams) still its interesting hearing your views on this so please keep posting
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As much as I support organ donation and have been signed up as early as i could.. I still think an opt-out system is wrong. People should have the choice of what happens to their own bodies and an opt-out system takes advantage of the ignorant.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.88%
I'm not sure (32)
4.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.61%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.22%
I'm not a current university student (322)
47.56%

Watched Threads