Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Today I was told for A2 maths we will only be taught P2 and P3 without an applied maths. In AS I am doing P1, M1 and D1 and would have taken M2 as well, but apparently due to the new Edexcel system I'll only need to be taught P2 and P3. Then next year I'll take C1-C4, which basically splits A level pure maths from 3 into 4 modules. Me, and all the years below will only be doing 2 applied maths modules because of the shortening of the pure ones.

First I think it's unfair on all the people older than me because they'll have done more work for the same qualification, and also I'm annoyed because if I want to go to Oxford for Physics, not having done M2 will probably be another disadvantage (I'm currently searching for centres to let me take exams in further maths, but no doubt this system will be messed up as well... I might resort to teaching myself without taking exams, which I don't want to do).

What do you think of it? Annoyed? Relieved?
    Also vote in my poll :cool:

ReputationRep:
    As a current maths A2 student I think it's a bad idea. From what my teachers have said they've made the syllabus easier in the new plan, and it really doesn't need to be. I do find P3 a bit tricky, but with exam papers and strong AS marks it's really not all that hard to do well - surely they are going to decrease the respect a maths A2 gets. For someone like yourself doing anything physics related, as you say it's going to make your degree initially more difficult. In general, then, I think it's a bad idea!

ReputationRep:
    the new system is too confusing for me. it was nice and simple back in the old days

ReputationRep:
    I'm soooo confused about the new syllabus...
    Anyone know if we'll be allowed to resit any of the P1-P3 papers next year?
    I'll be doing A2 next year so I suppose P1-P6 will be available next January and June only....
    I'm not sure though...does anyone know which of the 2000 spec units will be available next january/june?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    the new system is too confusing for me. it was nice and simple back in the old days
    Overall colleges used to teach P1, P2 and P3, as well as 3 applications. Arguably there was a problem with the divisibility of 3 pure modules into 2 GCE years. Now they have made it so the first year do P1 and half of P2, and one application (eg M1), and in the second year, the second half of P2, P3 and another application (eg D1)

Effectively they've made an extra module with no extra work in the pure, and taken one form the applications. Maths will now be 5/6th the work it was for you.

We are taking C1-C4 next year, so I'll be revising all my pure next year. I'll also be able to do retakes of M1 and D1, so if I don't get a very high A I'll be missing a good oputunity. If anyone else wants to know more I understand the system from asking about 20 questions in class about it (lol).

ReputationRep:
    I agree mik1a, i Don't approve of the new system, but thankfully it won't be affecting me. My school are having difficulties deciding where to do M1 & M2 or M1 & S1 as us scientists want to do both mechanics modules yet the economists want to do stats! argh, as i said luckily it doesnt affect me!

Best advice is to speak to Oxford and see what they think abouy you only taking 1 Mechanics modules and tell them that you will try and teach yourself any modules but won't be able to take exams in it. If you do do this, then I woulnd't recommened carrying 4+ A2's as you won't have the time to teach yourself extra maths, read around your subject and do your other subjects!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    I agree mik1a, i Don't approve of the new system, but thankfully it won't be affecting me. My school are having difficulties deciding where to do M1 & M2 or M1 & S1 as us scientists want to do both mechanics modules yet the economists want to do stats! argh, as i said luckily it doesnt affect me!

Best advice is to speak to Oxford and see what they think abouy you only taking 1 Mechanics modules and tell them that you will try and teach yourself any modules but won't be able to take exams in it. If you do do this, then I woulnd't recommened carrying 4+ A2's as you won't have the time to teach yourself extra maths, read around your subject and do your other subjects!
    Thanks, I'll try to contact them. How though? Just e-amil the admissions person for physics?

I still want to do 4A levels because I really don't think that taking for example P4, M2 and M3 will be that much extra strain, I'm already doing some P2 because the P1 isn't interesting anymore, and we'll have 4 terms to learn 2 modules. Also I'm really enjoying economics now, and I wouldn't think of stopping Chemistry and Phsyics.

:cool:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 28, 2004

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.