CerysPoole
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have recently started my AS Levels and have taken AQA Psychology A and am struggling to grasp the subject already.

Does anyone know any good websites or youtube channels where I could learn the whole course and understand what content I need to use in my answers, or similarly have any tips themselves.

Thanks
Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CerysPoole)
I have recently started my AS Levels and have taken AQA Psychology A and am struggling to grasp the subject already.

Does anyone know any good websites or youtube channels where I could learn the whole course and understand what content I need to use in my answers, or similarly have any tips themselves.

Thanks
You can literally just search for a topic in YouTube and a lot will come up, e.g. "AQA Psychology AS Research Methods". I found it quite nice to download the mp3 from some of them to play on my iPod.

As for trying to learn the whole course online; you need to ensure that you are sticking to the AQA syllabus, as there is a lot of stuff that you can come across but won't need.

This website contains some helpful materials
http://www.psychlotron.org.uk/newresources.html

and there are many more like it.

Also take advantage of past papers and Mark schemes from the AQA website. This will undoubtedly help with answer structures, etc.

Have you tried purchasing a revision guide? This would be the best choice if you feel that you are struggling (various prices, various quality).
CerysPoole
Rep:
?
Ah that's a great idea! Thank you for your help! I'm sure if I look into what is needed in the answers, it would make studying a lot easier.

Have you done the course yourself? I have heard from many people "learn the case studies" but the depth I would need to know them seems ridiculous for the amount that there are!
Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CerysPoole)
Ah that's a great idea! Thank you for your help! I'm sure if I look into what is needed in the answers, it would make studying a lot easier.

Have you done the course yourself? I have heard from many people "learn the case studies" but the depth I would need to know them seems ridiculous for the amount that there are!

Yeah, the studies definitely are crucial, and without them; it would be highly difficult to get higher than a C grade. You should ensure that you at least learn the key studies for each topic, and these should be highlighted by the tutor or revision guide.

It's also important to remember that you don't need to know all of the studies, just enough so that you can answer any possible question that you are likely to be asked in the exams, e.g. "Describe and evaluate research into eye witness testimony". So for Memory topics; learn a study each for capacity, duration, eye witness testimony and age effects, etc, and the same for other units.

When I did the AS, I made a table of at least 8 studies for each topic, and used past papers to identify which questions are likely to come up as 'big marker's' and then tried to make sure that I have enough to talk about for the said question. For example: in preparation for an 8 mark "describe and evaluate research into EWT accuracy" I talked about Valentine & Coxan 1997, Loftus &Palmer 1974, along with Loftus' 1979 study of anxiety.

It seems a lot, but I'd always recommend 'over preparing' for the studies!
CerysPoole
Rep:
?
Ah that's all brilliant! Thank you so much for your help, I'm a lot more confident with how to prepare now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (181)
14.41%
I'm not sure (59)
4.7%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.95%
I'm not a current university student (612)
48.73%

Watched Threads