What should I study at University?

Watch
rockyroad2014
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hi, so I'm doing my A levels and still haven't decided on my university course. my A levels don't really link so there is no obvious direction to go into

At As level I got Geography-A
Psychology-A
Chemistry-C

I enjoy all of them equally. I don't have a plan for the future and have no idea what job I want to do. I love baking, reading and enjoy a challenge!

any suggestions? :confused:
plasmaman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rockyroad2014)
hi, so I'm doing my A levels and still haven't decided on my university course. my A levels don't really link so there is no obvious direction to go into

At As level I got Geography-A
Psychology-A
Chemistry-C

I enjoy all of them equally. I don't have a plan for the future and have no idea what job I want to do. I love baking, reading and enjoy a challenge!

any suggestions? :confused:
Excellent grades by the way.
Do you even the slightest idea?
For example can you imagine yourself in:
Healthcare
Teaching
Law
Working for a company in a graduate position
I know they seem a bit naf but maybe use one of those career websites where you put in details about yourself and they recommend careers.
username970964
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you thought of doing a Geology degree? I'm doing it right now as a part of my joint honours, along with Physics. Geology would certainly link your Chemistry with Geography. Plus, there's lots of jobs in the 'oil' sector and they do earn you a fair bit of money.
A sheesh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mental health nursing.

there you have the psychology and chemistry aspect
rockyroad2014
Rep:
?
(Original post by plasmaman)
Excellent grades by the way.
Do you even the slightest idea?
For example can you imagine yourself in:
Healthcare
Teaching
Law
Working for a company in a graduate position
I know they seem a bit naf but maybe use one of those career websites where you put in details about yourself and they recommend careers.
thanks, I honestly have no idea, I'm rubbish at arguing so would be no good as a lawyer and can't see myself as a Doctor but I have thought about doing something with the NHS like Nutrition but I'd rather not do a specialized degree because I keep changing my mind so much with deciding on a degree there is no way i would make it through a 3 year degree and still want to be a nutritionist at the end.
I've tried and it just suggested i become a sales assistant... don't need a degree for that
rockyroad2014
Rep:
?
(Original post by Airess3)
Have you thought of doing a Geology degree? I'm doing it right now as a part of my joint honours, along with Physics. Geology would certainly link your Chemistry with Geography. Plus, there's lots of jobs in the 'oil' sector and they do earn you a fair bit of money.
this might sound a bit small minded but isn't it just learning types of rocks...
plasmaman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
thanks, I honestly have no idea, I'm rubbish at arguing so would be no good as a lawyer and can't see myself as a Doctor but I have thought about doing something with the NHS like Nutrition but I'd rather not do a specialized degree because I keep changing my mind so much with deciding on a degree there is no way i would make it through a 3 year degree and still want to be a nutritionist at the end.
I've tried and it just suggested i become a sales assistant... don't need a degree for that
What about taking a gap year and really considering what you want to do? I mean try and get as much work experience in as many different areas as possible. Better that than going into university blind as to what you want to do next.
username970964
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
this might sound a bit small minded but isn't it just learning types of rocks...
No, it's far more than that, it's basically physical geography. You get to learn about earthquakes, volcanos and the lava, fault-lines, palaeontology, oceans, evolution of the Earth over the past 4,500 million years, some uni's will teach you about the solar system (my one does!); internal structure and chemical composition of the Earth; continent, plate tectonics; formation and fill of sedimentary basins; absolute and relative geological time (the fossil record and absolute dating); geological maps and structures etc. Have a look at different uni's websites to get the idea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.63%
I'm not sure (16)
3.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (153)
33.92%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.77%
I'm not a current university student (208)
46.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise