The Student Room Group

Help me get into reading!

Hello everyone, I really need your help to start reading!

I've only read textbooks for school and the last two or three Harry Potter books!

And that's it, I want to improve my vocabulary and imagination, read some classic stories and plays from Adam Smith to William Shakespeare; it will also help with reading and understanding the news and journals for university?

So I'm 18 and would like to know what I should read before starting some advanced books?

I couldn't find the "reading thread" so I don't know if this is posted in the right area...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
What are you wanting to apply to do at uni?
Reply 2
Best tip is to find stories you're interested in. Reading something because it's a 'classic' doesn't mean you'll enjoy it. And if you want to improve your vocabulary and stuff, then reading old books might not be as helpful as you think.

Try different genres? You could always start with graphic novels if you rely more on visual entertainment. Or find movie adaptions that you enjoy, read the original books.
Original post by uhsam

I've only read textbooks for school and the last two or three Harry Potter books!

And that's it, I want to improve my vocabulary and imagination, read some classic stories and plays from Adam Smith to William Shakespeare; it will also help with reading and understanding the news and journals for university?

So I'm 18 and would like to know what I should read before starting some advanced books?

I couldn't find the "reading thread" so I don't know if this is posted in the right area...

Moved to Books, Literature and Comics section :smile:
I'd recommend trying some different genre's, before trying classics and so on. Some classics are hard to get into.
For different genres, books that are easy to get into and really good (in my opinion):
Sci/fi - Earth Girl trilogy by Janet Edwards
Fantasy - Goddess Summoning series by p.C Cast (very loosely based around greek myths so sort of educational)
General fiction- Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell, or Eleanor and Park, also by Rainbow Rowell.
Mystery - The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (who's really J.K Rowling.)
Classic books - maybe A Little Princess by Frances Hodgsen Burnett(is that right?). It's really good, though not always seen as a classic, and The Secret garden is also good. I'd also recommend Little Women.
For a Shakespeare play to read, I'd say Macbeth, it's interesting and not hard to understand, at least not as hard as it could be. The story is well known as well so you'll get the gist. Or Romeo and Juliet, I guess, that's also well known.

Hope you enjoy reading! :smile:
Hope you enjoy it!
Reply 5
If you're into fantasy (judging from the Harry Potter mention) Then I recommend to read:

Percy Jackson!
Mistborn: The final empire
Eragon
Alex Rider Series
If you haven't already, also The Hunger Games.

:smile:
What genre are you interested in?
Dependent on your favour and choice really OP.
Reply 8
New Blog Post on Recommeneded Reads just gone up!
We'd appreciate it if you'd check it out :smile:

SBW-D.blogspot.com
The Hunger Games is a fantastic read - very well written and entertaining.

For non-fiction, try anything written by Bill Bryson: he is a travel author of very well written and funny books from his travels around the globe. Definitely worth a read.
Reply 10
Try working through Penguin classics, you'll find some great stories which interest you and ones which bore you rigid. Use them as a basis for working out which genres you are inclined to and work from there. Sign up to Good Reads and create a 'to read' list using their reviews/recommendations.
I love reading :smile: go to a nicest and get a selection of different styles and genres or if you have a Kindle/e-reader, download some of the free books. I've discovered new series and even genres that way, and it is in an awful book it won't matter because it was free anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would suggest you ignore the posters advising you not to read the classics. If you are serious about expanding your vocabulary etc. you will do so faster the more challenging material you read. It is as simple as disciplining yourself and looking up any words you don't understand.
Original post by Birkenhead
I would suggest you ignore the posters advising you not to read the classics. If you are serious about expanding your vocabulary etc. you will do so faster the more challenging material you read. It is as simple as disciplining yourself and looking up any words you don't understand.

I concur with this statement. The seminal canon is also far more intriguing than the non as far as I'm concerned.
Original post by uhsam

Start off with more accessible books, then move onto more challenging ones. Read a little every evening or if you travel on public transport. If you find a novel that you really enjoy, this will usually encourage you to continue reading other material.
Start with contemporary(maybe ****ty) bestsellers. They aren't the most cultural books but are indeed the easiest to read so you won't have a hard time. Then, continue reading more complicated books. I think the best bestsellers I have ever read was The Body Thief(Anne Rice) - that book is a classic to me and it has an amazing quality. You can try to start with classics, but it will be hard and it might discourage you. First you should find some books you find easy to read otherwise you will just dread reading and that would be a shame.
I couldn't read a story book.. waste of time may aswell watch a film.. will only reas education books or similar where you either learn something about tge world or yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending