The Student Room Group

Scotland Deanery (any Foundations or students already there?)

Hello there!

As with many of you out there, I am currently browsing through webpages trying to decide which deanery to apply to.
I am strongly considering Scotland, the scenery seems breathtaking. But I have a bit of uncertainty as well.

Are there any Foundations who are currently working in Scotland who can share their experiences, any drawbacks to working in Scotland or things that they really enjoy.
How was it moving to Scotland? was it ok adjusting? what do you think of the area?

The most important question I have to ask, do you think that the teachers you have encountered are enthusiastic teaching or doing projects/audits?

Would love to hear from other applicants thinking about applying to Wales!
Reply 1
Original post by Cannula
Hello there!

As with many of you out there, I am currently browsing through webpages trying to decide which deanery to apply to.
I am strongly considering Scotland, the scenery seems breathtaking. But I have a bit of uncertainty as well.

Are there any Foundations who are currently working in Scotland who can share their experiences, any drawbacks to working in Scotland or things that they really enjoy.
How was it moving to Scotland? was it ok adjusting? what do you think of the area?

The most important question I have to ask, do you think that the teachers you have encountered are enthusiastic teaching or doing projects/audits?

Hi there, I shall hopefully be able to help you. I'm currently a final year medic at Glasgow, I've lived just outside Dundee most of my life, I have lots of family in Aberdeen and I'm considering Edinburgh for FP. So I have pretty good knowledge of most of Scotland!

Which particular areas are you drawn to?

As far as Glasgow hospitals go - I think FY can be rather stressful in some of the very big central hospitals (probably just like in all other cities) and generally FY life in the smaller DGH's is more relaxed and a better supported. But as I'm applying myself this year, I unfortunately can't give you any first hand experiences of being an FY in Scotland, but certainly FYs I know particularly like Hairmyres and Paisley hospitals. Ultimately there is a huge variety of hospitals in Scotland from very small and rural to very large urban teaching hospitals (including the new SGH in Glasgow, which I think is to be the biggest teaching hospital in Europe!). So from that point of view, in Scotland you would probably be able to choose from a fair number of hospitals depending on exactly what type of FY job you would prefer.

As I've always lived in Scotland, I can't really guess at what adjusting would be like! But are there any specific things you are wondering about?

I've always found it relatively easy to pick up a project or audit (and as a student thats with only a 5-10week window). Supervisors are generally very supportive and enthusiastic for projects/audits to be done and very helpful in assisting with such. Most of the hospitals (in and around Glasgow) have good FY teaching programmes, and FYs are encouraged to present at these teaching sessions.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions, particularly on any areas/hospitals in Scotland you are considering.

....as for Wales, I don't know anything! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending