Predict which supermarket will disappear in the next 5 years Watch

Poll: Which supermarket do you think will disappear?
Tesco (14)
17.95%
Asda (2)
2.56%
Sainsbury's (6)
7.69%
Morrisons (31)
39.74%
Aldi & Lidl (6)
7.69%
Co-op (16)
20.51%
Waitrose (3)
3.85%
Queen Cersei
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29442383

Veteran retailer Bill Grimsey, a former chief executive of DIY store Wickes and Iceland, who has already written a report on how to improve the High Street, believes the prognosis is grim.
"In the next five to 10 years one of the Big Four could disappear. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility," he says, pointing to the demise of the once mighty 800-store Woolworths as an example.

Which supermarket do you think is in danger of disappearing?
Kool_Panda
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Queen Cersei)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29442383

Veteran retailer Bill Grimsey, a former chief executive of DIY store Wickes and Iceland, who has already written a report on how to improve the High Street, believes the prognosis is grim.
"In the next five to 10 years one of the Big Four could disappear. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility," he says, pointing to the demise of the once mighty 800-store Woolworths as an example.

Which supermarket do you think is in danger of disappearing?
Tesco.
futbol
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't see any of those disappearing.
Queen Cersei
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I hope it's Morrisons
tengentoppa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Morrisons or Co-op I reckon.

Lidl and Aldi do well because they're cheap.

Asda, Tesco and Sainsbury's seem too big to go down.

And Waitrose caters to its own market very successfully.
Dumachi
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Out of them, I would say the Co-Op.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Could see Tesco going. It is in an odd part of the market, it is facing competition on the cheap side by Aldi and Lidl whilst Sainsburys has become a bit more high end yet still reasonably priced. If you want cheap you to Lidl if you want nicer yet cheap you go to Sainburys, just what do you go to Tesco for?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
None.

People still prefer convenience over value (look at how they'll go to the nearest Tesco or Asda rather than look for an Aldi or market) and all supermarkets seem to be adapting to the online market and are diversified.

Co-Op could well be sold but Morrison's is also in trouble.

(Original post by Kool_Panda)
Tesco.
Tesco and Asda have large global operations meaning the capital to sustain them may as well be never ending so they'd never be aloud to close in a market as large as the UK.
WeedCanKill
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I put Tesco, but I can see Morrisons going down too. They failed to keep up with change and lost alot of their identity. If the new online shopping thing goes well for Morrisons then they're safe. If not, it's going to be grim.
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Was a bit worried for Morrisons when they didn't offer an online food shopping delivery but now they have that sorted, they should be fine (that was the only targeted reason as to why they were losing out on the others when the quarterly profits were announced.
Arbolus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Co-op. Maybe it's just my area, but I've been seeing fewer and fewer of them about the place as the years go by. Tesco and Morrisons on the other hand are still expanding rapidly, so it would take a huge catastrophe for either of them to go down completely.
tillytots
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Morrisons or the Co-op, although 'local' versions of the former are popping up everywhere in manchester right now.

Tesco and ASDA just seem too big and I don't think sainsburys is even struggling? I'm definitely an Aldi/Lidl convert these days though
Viva Emptiness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My money's definitely on Co-Op. The items are poorer quality but more expensive, and they have been on the decline market share-wise for years. They had a slight advantage with there in-town locations but with the rise of Convenience and Online channels, they are scuppered.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Could see Tesco going. It is in an odd part of the market, it is facing competition on the cheap side by Aldi and Lidl whilst Sainsburys has become a bit more high end yet still reasonably priced. If you want cheap you to Lidl if you want nicer yet cheap you go to Sainburys, just what do you go to Tesco for?
Tesco is certainly being squeezed, but I think 5 years is too short a time to collapse such a big group and they still (despite their difficulties) have the largest market share and the biggest number of stores. However, I can imagine them merging or being taken over - perhaps by Walmart/Asda, who would have a huge interest in seeing Tesco off the high street.

Actually I suspect the most vulnerable is either Co-Op or Morrisons, perhaps the Co-Op, as the group has been battered and they might do something like narrow the range of activities they have so as to preserve their existence. Their shops don't make a lot of money.
Maid Marian
Report 4 years ago
I said Tesco, but I hope Co-Op goes because Tesco is my favourite:sad:
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For every one saying Co Op I disagreed. They have a nice little niche market is: they stock more fairtrade stock than any other supermarket

Waitrose will appeal because of its image really

Tesco is your bog standard major supermarket targeted towards the masses

Its no longer as cheap as it used to be. I don't think Sainsburys would fail just because of the quality of their food

Morrison's are expanding so I don't think they'd go

Asda is pretty cheap so I reckon they'll stay

Lidl/Aldi are cheap so they'll stay as well imo
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
None.

People still prefer convenience over value (look at how they'll go to the nearest Tesco or Asda rather than look for an Aldi or market) and all supermarkets seem to be adapting to the online market and are diversified.

Co-Op could well be sold but Morrison's is also in trouble.

Tesco and Asda have large global operations meaning the capital to sustain them may as well be never ending so they'd never be aloud to close in a market as large as the UK.
I thought Morrison's were expanding?

Woolworths still operates in Germany and some other countries iirc as well. It most definitely operates in Berlin though

My point there is that Woolworths in the UK went down but it survives in other markets
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tesco's not going to go. It's been going down recently because of the rise of Aldi and Lidl and that finance blunder, but it's too massive (and too entrenched in British culture) to go. Out of those, the only one I can see disappearing is co-op, but I doubt it'll happen.
miser
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can't see any of them failing really.

My local Morrisons has just refurbished all its aisles and refrigeration units.
vickidc18
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For me I go to aldi & lidl for staples it's cheap and straightforward I did a family shop for 3 2 adults and 1 child for £30 , I hate tesco's rip off the customer attitude with all the confusing deals, I only go there or to asda to buy my cherry pepsi max, the rest of the time I go to waitrose for treats etc, waitrose's food is great quality and 2 mins walk from my house, spent £20 in there last night on nice stuff can't afford to do all my shopping there but waitrose is the best, so I half and half, half aldi/lidl half waitrose.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (17)
14.41%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (8)
6.78%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (24)
20.34%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (19)
16.1%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (14)
11.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (36)
30.51%

Watched Threads