The Student Room Group

Job interview from hell?

Hi all,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on what happened to me recently. I graduated in July with a First class honours degree from a pretty good university. Due to personal circumstances, I have only just started looking for a job, and wanted to try out some teaching roles.

I got an interview for a 6 hour/week job involving tutoring. I applied because I wanted to get an idea of what teaching is all about and whether or not i am suited to it. I have a really good academic record, and got a phone interview. When ensued was horrible.

The first thing she said was 'Your grades are really good so why did you go to this University?', which felt like an insult to the three years of hard work that I had just put in. I explained that my University was in fact a top 50 one, and that I had a fantastic experience.

She didn't seem convinced and then proceeded to say 'Why do you want this job?' and I explained that I had a strong interest in teaching and that I have a caring nature, which is suited to the role. This wasn't good enough for her clearly, as she asked 'What else are you looking at, it can't just be this?'. I didn't really know what to say, so I said other teaching roles, and that i'm good with people so perhaps some roles related to caring (which, probably wasn't a good idea in hindsight).

She then said 'People like you are too honest, we don't want droppers. People like you will drop out. The reason that you haven't been employed yet is because you are too honest. You've been out of uni for some months now and this is why you haven't got a job'. :eek:

Call me crazy, but isn't this incredibly rude and presumptuous?! Also, what is wrong with being honest about who you are? I expressed a strong interest in the role, and was simply honest about the fact that I am still trying to find a career that is right for me; I don't think that is a fault at all. She basically made me feel rubbish, and I felt like she only rang me to attack me. I was so annoyed that I actually called her back after to tell her how unprofessional I thought she was! Anybody else had a bad interview experience?
Original post by Lalalulu
Hi all,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on what happened to me recently. I graduated in July with a First class honours degree from a pretty good university. Due to personal circumstances, I have only just started looking for a job, and wanted to try out some teaching roles.

I got an interview for a 6 hour/week job involving tutoring. I applied because I wanted to get an idea of what teaching is all about and whether or not i am suited to it. I have a really good academic record, and got a phone interview. When ensued was horrible.

1. The first thing she said was 'Your grades are really good so why did you go to this University?', which felt like an insult to the three years of hard work that I had just put in. I explained that my University was in fact a top 50 one, and that I had a fantastic experience.

2.She didn't seem convinced and then proceeded to say 'Why do you want this job?' and I explained that I had a strong interest in teaching and that I have a caring nature, which is suited to the role. This wasn't good enough for her clearly, as she asked 'What else are you looking at, it can't just be this?'. I didn't really know what to say, so I said other teaching roles, and that i'm good with people so perhaps some roles related to caring (which, probably wasn't a good idea in hindsight).

3.She then said 'People like you are too honest, we don't want droppers. People like you will drop out. The reason that you haven't been employed yet is because you are too honest. You've been out of uni for some months now and this is why you haven't got a job'. :eek:

4.Call me crazy, but isn't this incredibly rude and presumptuous?! Also, what is wrong with being honest about who you are? I expressed a strong interest in the role, and was simply honest about the fact that I am still trying to find a career that is right for me; I don't think that is a fault at all. She basically made me feel rubbish, and I felt like she only rang me to attack me. I was so annoyed that I actually called her back after to tell her how unprofessional I thought she was! Anybody else had a bad interview experience?

1.What's the issue with asking why you chose this university?
2.What's the issue about being asked what else your applying for?
3.Genuine question most employers would ask.
4.Quite simply no, it's not rude and presumptuous.

So get off your high horse.
Reply 2
I think it IS a bit rude. After all, she can't just presume that THIS is the reason why you haven't got a job yet. To be honest if it was me, I would definitely say something back. And also, don't be sad about the job - you don't want to work with such people.

At the end of the day, it's a JOB and you are the one working. Yes they are paying you for it but still - it's you that does the job! Carry on and apply for more jobs
In my opinion, it does sound a bit rude of her. There are plenty of other employers who will most likely give you an interview :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending