The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

FreedomtoFascism
What a bunch of conformists, do any of you actually think for yourselves?

What are your qualifications in physics and chemistry?
I did chemistry up to A level, and physics up to GCSE..

Not that it matters. Qualifications mean absoltutely jak...well technically thats not true, but what i mean, is that qualifications are just pieces of paper which state that you've mastered the way someone else thinks.

What really matters is the ability to take information, and question it, to form your own conclusions.

Otherwise your not free thinking, and leave yourself open to being manipulated..

Which is what TV does so well..
Reply 62
Cold fusion hasn't been proved, i'd love to see it work but the last i heard they were having trouble replicating the results. (probably because the original results came form some experimental error).

I would agree that an open mind is very valuable, qualifcations do not make you a good physicist. But at the same time freedomtofascicm you seem to be maing some very big statements, like somehow you know something everyone else doesn't.

You have linked to a few sites which seemed like conspirary places, well i don't reallyg et the point of what your trying to say. "everything is vibrations" etc Maybee your right
Reply 63
FreedomtoFascism
I did chemistry up to A level, and physics up to GCSE..
Not that it matters. Qualifications mean absoltutely jak...well technically thats not true, but what i mean, is that qualifications are just pieces of paper which state that you've mastered the way someone else thinks.

What really matters is the ability to take information, and question it, to form your own conclusions.

Otherwise your not free thinking, and leave yourself open to being manipulated..

Which is what TV does so well..

That'll be why you have missed out on one of Physics' most hotly contested debates, namely, the nature of light.

Even a basic search on Wikipedia will yield some good material on wave-particle duality and quantum physics. Read that and you will realize how ridiculous some of the things you have said on this thread are.

I won't continue to slate you, it's not your fault you're ignorant. GCSE makes some very big assumptions that are later discarded at A-level.
FreedomtoFascism
What a bunch of conformists, do any of you actually think for yourselves?
Baaah.

No, everything is light, because light is energy, and everything is energy.
So all Russians are Communists, because all Communists are human and so are all Russians? Your logic is flawed.
Its just your perception of light is different to what it actually is, beacuse people like Newton got it wrong. Wave and particle properties? How can you even begin to prove that light can exhibit both properties, when to claim that is to claim that you understand the way in which reality works.
I believe quantum theory helps. Light does exhibit both properties; whether it actually is one or the other is a different question. To take a slightly silly example: water can have solid or liquid properties. Which is it?

Light is not a particle, nor does this change at any point. There is NO SUCH THING AS A PARTICLE, because a particle directly implies the idea of solid matter, when infact, as you should know, there is NO SUCH THING AS MATTER.

You just say "photons" and expect to be correct..that shows how little YOU actually know, not me. Your still stuck in the primary school mentality that "particles" exist as tiny little spheres of matter, when in actual fact, everything is simply a wave, oscillating. There is no such thing as "solid".
While I don't normally pick people up on language, to accuse someone of being stuck in primary school whilst making errors of basic English that most people weed out by year 6 is too much for me to stomach.

All "particles" are not solid, nor are they spheres of "something". The whole sphere thing comes from the idea that the "particles" that constitute that particle, ie, subatomic forming a proton for instance, can occupy any space within that sphere at any time.

Cold Fusion has worked, and so has sominoluminescence, its just science failing to explain them properly that is the problem.
I don't see what all your claims that matter does not exist are supposed to prove, to be honest. Nobody is claiming science has found all the answers. However, the best science we currently have indicates that cold fusion is impossible. You have yet to prove otherwise.
Reply 65
FreedomtoFascism
Hot Fusion will never happen, simply beacuse our technology is poor, and it can't be managed, let alone effeciently for smaller use

I'm guessing not many people bother to read about the ITER project, which is fair enough if you're not interested in it. Definately one to avoid if you're not debating future energy sources. Otherwise, it is worth knowing about the current developments before saying something will never happen.

It's going to cost billions of euros, involving contributions from many countries. Those darn scientists have clever ways to go about using our technology. The hot gas will be confined in a sort of doughnut, no doubt inspired by homer (the distinguished fission plant safety officer), with the use of a magnetic field. Millions of degrees, either they prefer it really hot, or cold fusion is not yet worth billions of euros.
I don't know whether fusion will be a success, but I won't say never because there's a lot of people trying to make it work.
I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of making it financially viable. Fusion itself has been made to work. Useful fusion has not.
FreedomtoFascism

This does make me laugh. Try doing a PhD and tell me that you are just mastering the way someone else thinks. Science is revolutionary (not in a political way) and is constantly renewing itself, the institution of science is only seen as 'conformist' by those that have contrary ideas without the neccessary evidence to back themselves up in a scientific debate. Even the vernerable and august institutions of science do not suffer appeals to authority, for instance the Royal Society's motto is 'Nullius in verba' - on the word of no-one. The whole raison d'etre of science is to find out the why and the how and if that means trampling over someone else's ideas then so be it.
Piled Higher and Deeper...
Yet science has failed its main objectives;

To understand the fundamental principle and design on which nature is constructed and working.

To understand nature and motion.

Why has it failed? Simply because science has tried to isolate it from humanity, which can't be done, because we are trying to conquer it.

Despite all the advancements, it should be apparent that we are actually moving backwards. We are tending towards chaos, and science is to blaim.

Sounds harsh, but its true. Unity is the key, and that is what science lacks.
Reply 70
what on earth, we know more than we have ever done. This is progress.
I disagree.

Sure we have more knowledge, but its usefullness is debateable.

We are still fighting wars, still using money, still using inefficient and polluting energy resources...

Have we actually progressed at all?...

From where i stand all we have progressed with is in 'how to be more selfish'
Reply 72
well, our understanding (unless we have gone down completely wrong avenue) has icnreased alot.

We have built huge suspension birdges, transport systems that cross the world, huge ships, loads of things.

Yeh, we use energy resources but we have also developed solar, wind, nuclear, hydro power and working on fusion. I have worries about the future too but to say we've come nowhere is just false/
Oh of course, i didn't mean that we had come no where. We have extended our life spans through medicine and technology for instance..

However, when you look at what "we", as the human race, have accomplished, it is relatively little...

After all, if we are so advanced and great, why are we still fighting each other?..

War is business. But luckily, reality is bad for business.
Reply 74
oh i see. Well we have a long way to go on that front, i guess because we see the future differently to others.

I don't think we'll see a united earth world untll we meet aliens or something (i hope that'll happen, freindly aliens of course)..
FreedomtoFascism
Oh of course, i didn't mean that we had come no where. We have extended our life spans through medicine and technology for instance..

Yet this doesn't constitute progress? If human life is the standard of moral evaluation, and we live longer in more comfort than we ever have done before, surely we have progressed in terms of morality?

FreedomtoFascism
However, when you look at what "we", as the human race, have accomplished, it is relatively little...

I'll ignore that.

FreedomtoFascism
After all, if we are so advanced and great, why are we still fighting each other?..

Because of irrationality, a fair amount of which doesn't come from reality.

FreedomtoFascism
War is business. But luckily, reality is bad for business.

Why is ar good for business when war is ultimately destructive, and trade is ultimately beneficial?
FreedomtoFascism
Yet science has failed its main objectives;

To understand the fundamental principle and design on which nature is constructed and working.

To understand nature and motion.

Why has it failed? Simply because science has tried to isolate it from humanity, which can't be done, because we are trying to conquer it.

Despite all the advancements, it should be apparent that we are actually moving backwards. We are tending towards chaos, and science is to blaim.

Sounds harsh, but its true. Unity is the key, and that is what science lacks.
You misunderstand the aims of science. Fundamentally so.
Ok, what are the aims of science then
Not to understand everything in one go. Reaching the sky from a standing start on the ground is the aim of religion. What science does is to chip, chip, chip away at ignorance. To equate the fact that it has not finished doing so (if indeed, it's even possible to discover everything) with a total failure is to make a colossal logical error.
Reply 79
FreedomtoFascism
Ok, what are the aims of science then

Certainly not the same as politics, economics and philosophy. In an earlier post you seemed to suggest that science was trying to be some kind of silver bullet to all of man's ills. Whether we are fighting each other is nothing to do with science.

Latest

Trending

Trending