The Student Room Group

Help been dropped out of AS Further Maths, what to do?!?!

Ok so ... (Apologies for the longish post in advance but please read all of it)

Recently I have been informed by the head of the maths department, that I have been dropped out of AS Level Further Maths in the most horrible manner (in front of all of my friends in a A level Maths lesson). An almost certain explanation for this is that the head of maths thinks that I am stupid.

Basically, this all started on GCSE results day which was also my sixth forms enrolment day. I went to the head of maths to enrol and when I asked to do further maths, she didn't say no (as I got the requirement which was an A in GCSE Maths and I was 4 marks off and A*), however she did try very hard to discourage me from picking that subject (such as encouraging me to do Geography or English Lit instead of it). In the end when she realised all of her efforts were fruitless, she said and I quote 'You will probably end up finding the course very difficult in your first week ,and you will most likely drop it within the first week'. If anything the exact opposite occurred, I found the first week extremely easy and up until now it has been OK (meaning that I am not struggling with anything).

The reasons for her doing that, is because from Yr10-11 I was in the second highest maths set (from Yr-Y9 i was in the highest but got moved down because of bad behaviour) and so the teacher believed that from the start (enrolment day) without even knowing me at all, or my capabilities.

In the AS Further Maths course I have been on point with all of my homework tasks, getting all the questions right and answering any questions I have been asked aloud in lessons correctly. There are couple of girls in my class who look lost in lesson, and when i say lost, i mean so lost that I don't think they know what planet they are currently on. They haven't done so well so far and are obviously struggling with the course, yet absolutely nothing has happened to them.

The most crude thing about this is that when I asked the teacher why I was dropped, she said and I quote 'There are concerns about your Physics'. To make this more clear I will admit that I have f***ed up 2 recent Physics tests but this is mostly due to silly mistakes such as not converting base units and whatnot.

To conclude I believe that I have been dropped ,because the head of the maths department believes that because i was in the second highest maths set I am 'not-capable' of doing the course. She has made this very evident to me since the very start and has told me a couple of timesi should drop it even though i have no such intention.
I hope to in the future do either aeronautical engineering or maths at Imperial College or any other oxbridge university, and the fact that I have been dropped from Further Maths I think will really hurt my chances as I am now doing 3 AS Levels (Maths, Chemistry and Physics).

Please give me advice on how I can fix this situation up, as I am scheduled to meet the head of sixth form tomorrow. For my GCSES (if this helps) I got 7A's, 2A*s,2Bs and 1C the Bs being in english language and french and the C being in Art. Also in AS Further Maths I doing Edexcel and the units we are doing are FP1 M1 D1 and later on C3 in January. I am also very likely to continue doing Further Maths in A2 and dropping chemistry.
I think the best course of action for you would be to speak to your head of sixth form tomorrow, and explain to them that you would like to do Aeronautical engineering and therefore you are required to take Further Maths. Additionally you could also ask them to put you on a review for a week or two. By that I mean the teachers monitor your progress closely, and if they are in doubt they remove you from the course.

Another thing you could do is schedule a meeting with the head of sixth form and the head of maths with your parents. Let them know that you are not happy with the outcome and it was unfair the way you were treated.

If all else fails, I think if you are really motivated you could sit Further Maths as an external student. However let this be your last resort.

I hope all goes well tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Latest