JSDhaliwal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I used to be so motivated to do well and I worked really hard to get my A in Biology last year which I managed to receive. However this year is my most important year and I have no motivation to work hard whatsoever. I know I need to make my self work hard but it's like my willpower has ran out! The motivational videos on Youtube used to help but now they're just ineffective! Can anyone please help me by motivating me or just helping me set my mind straight? Please, I really am in need of help or I'm going to end up ruining my life!
tory88
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Decide where you want to be in five years, and work towards getting there. Getting good grades will give you the best chance possible of achieving what you want, even if the subject is completely unrelated to what you want to do.
ifandbutwhynot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had this problem in Year 11 especially knowing what I want to do after my A Levels doesn't really depend on what grades I get. I'd second what tory said above

Probably also a good idea to set up a study timetable or something for consolidation and homework but set it as a guide rather than a strict routine. Mark in times for leisure etc and be flexible with what you're doing. Make sure you have time to fit in hobbies/things you enjoy as well as school work or else it does get heavy on you
JSDhaliwal
Rep:
?
(Original post by tory88)
Decide where you want to be in five years, and work towards getting there. Getting good grades will give you the best chance possible of achieving what you want, even if the subject is completely unrelated to what you want to do.
Thanks, I do know what I want to do and it isn't going to be easy. I want to be a consultant specializing in Parasites and I know it is very hard and will take a huge amount of studying and dedication. The problem is the fact that I have no discipline to studying, when I do study it's not efficient. I'm just reading the information and I don't feel like I'm learning anything like I used to. This is what's causing my lack of motivation, I just don't know why I'm ruining myself when I know how important it actually is to me.
JSDhaliwal
Rep:
?
(Original post by ifandbutwhynot)
I had this problem in Year 11 especially knowing what I want to do after my A Levels doesn't really depend on what grades I get. I'd second what tory said above

Probably also a good idea to set up a study timetable or something for consolidation and homework but set it as a guide rather than a strict routine. Mark in times for leisure etc and be flexible with what you're doing. Make sure you have time to fit in hobbies/things you enjoy as well as school work or else it does get heavy on you
Thanks, I do have a timetable but the problem is the fact that I have no discipline to studying, when I do study it's not efficient. I'm just reading the information and I don't feel like I'm learning anything like I used to. This is what's causing my lack of motivation, I just don't know why I'm ruining myself when I know how important it actually is to me. That's why following my timetable isn't disciplined, it's just there and I'm not being able to follow it
tory88
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JSDhaliwal)
Thanks, I do know what I want to do and it isn't going to be easy. I want to be a consultant specializing in Parasites and I know it is very hard and will take a huge amount of studying and dedication. The problem is the fact that I have no discipline to studying, when I do study it's not efficient. I'm just reading the information and I don't feel like I'm learning anything like I used to. This is what's causing my lack of motivation, I just don't know why I'm ruining myself when I know how important it actually is to me.
Then don't read, do something else. For me, I find that rewriting notes in my own words (adding diagrams where necessary) really helps. Just experiment with different methods until you find some that work for you.

If you feel like you're wasting time, change how you decide on revision. At this stage of the year, you just need to make sure you understand what you've been doing in lessons; so perhaps rewrite the lesson using your exercise book/textbook and then only do extra work to make sure you understand something?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (137)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.51%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.36%
No - I live at home during term anyway (141)
29.31%

Watched Threads