The Student Room Group

Rape, Homophobia, Sexism, Child abuse included in Law degree?

Are there any sensitive topics that you learn about in a Law degree?

Only Law students answer please because then you have a source. Please also state what university you go to when you answer the question.
Rape and other sexual offences will be covered as part of any Criminal Law module. This will likely include discussion of child sex offences also.

Homophobia and sexism are likely to be discussed in Public Law when examining the notion of equality under the law and also when discussing the Human Rights Act 1998.

Child abuse may arise when looking at the liability of public bodies in Tort Law, due to being the topic of some of the major cases (see X v Bedfordshire/Z v UK). This is mostly tangential though - child abuse is the context, not the focus.

Criminal, Public and Tort are all core subjects required to be taught for a law degree to be qualifying. It therefore does not matter which institution you are at - those modules must be studied.

The topics listed are also likely to be raised in several optional modules commonly offered, particularly Law and Gender, Employment Law and Family/Child Law, but of course you do not have to take those.

You asked for a source - I am a lecturer, not a student and so I won't be revealing my institution, I'm afraid. But as mentioned, it doesn't matter anyway, you'll have to study these things wherever you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending