The Student Room Group

The Leibnitz Formula

Hi,
I need help understanding the Leibnitz formula, I tried a couple of things (see photo) but I can't get a quick way to a high derivative with it?
I think specificly I don't get what the k does in the binomial Co efficient and how to use that to get the answer but I do see where it comes from as I can see the pascals triangle pattern.
Any help is appreciated :smile:
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like for example I tried to find the 9th derivative of (x^3)(e^2x) but couldn't :3
Reply 2
Original post by Physics4Life
Like for example I tried to find the 9th derivative of (x^3)(e^2x) but couldn't :3

The formula for (u*v)

dndxn(uv)=k=0n(nk)dnkudxnkdkvdxk\displaystyle \frac{d^n}{dx^n}\left (u\cdot v\right )=\sum_{k=0}^n \binom {n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k}u}{dx^{n-k}} \cdot \frac{d^kv}{dx^k}

note: The 0th derivative of f(x) (d0f(x)dx0=f(x)\frac{d^0 f(x)}{dx^0} =f(x) ) is the
function itself.

for x^3*e^(2x)
order.................e^(2x)..................x^3...............binom (n k)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 .................... e^2x .................... x^3 ................1
1.................... 2e^(2x)................. 3x^2................n
2.....................2^2 e^(2x).............6x....................n*(n-1)/2
3.....................2^3 e^(2x).............6.....................n*(n-1)*(n-2)/6
4....................2^4 e^2x................0.....................n*(n-1)*(n-2)(n-3)/4!
...................................................................................................
n....................2^n e^(2x).............0....................
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For n=9

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle \frac{d^9}{dx^9} (e^{2x}\cdot x^3) =e^{2x}\left (8x^3+108x^2+432x+504)

(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not sure if this helps, but let DuD_u mean "differentiate u w.r.t. x" and DvD_v mean "differentiate v w.r.t. x", and then DukD_u^k mean "differentiate u k times w.r.t. x" etc.

Then Leibniz' rule is the same thing as saying

dndxn(uv)=(Du+Dv)n(uv)\dfrac{d^n}{dx^n}(uv) = (D_u + D_v)^n (uv), where you expand out (Du+Dv)n(D_u+D_v)^n using the binomial theorem just as if it was (A+B)^n.
Thanks guys, that really helped :smile:
Original post by DFranklin
I'm not sure if this helps, but let DuD_u mean "differentiate u w.r.t. x" and DvD_v mean "differentiate v w.r.t. x", and then DukD_u^k mean "differentiate u k times w.r.t. x" etc.

Then Leibniz' rule is the same thing as saying

dndxn(uv)=(Du+Dv)n(uv)\dfrac{d^n}{dx^n}(uv) = (D_u + D_v)^n (uv), where you expand out (Du+Dv)n(D_u+D_v)^n using the binomial theorem just as if it was (A+B)^n.

How do you conclude this?

dndxn(uv)=(Du+Dv)n(uv)\dfrac{d^n}{dx^n}(uv) = (D_u + D_v)^n (uv)
Reply 6
Original post by newblood

Personally I would just start with the product rule and think about where all the terms are going to come from when you differentiate repeatedly.

If y = uv then
y' = u'v + uv'
y'' = (u'v)' + (uv')' = u''v + u'v' + u'v' + uv'' = u''v + 2u'v' + uv''
etc
Original post by newblood

What I posted was solely "here's another way of thinking about it", not any kind of proof.

There are lots of ways you can "see that it works", but if you want to formally prove it I think the quickest thing is going to be induction, which to my mind somewhat obscures what's actually going on.

Quick Reply

Latest