Fifth Uni Choice for Medicine Applicants: Biological science vs Biomedicine

Watch
Blish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm trying to decide what to put down for my fifth choice on the UCAS form, having already chosen my 4 med schools. There are two courses I'm interested in: Biomedical sciences and Biological Sciences. From what I understand Biomedical sciences is very human-oriented, whereas biological science is much more general. Both seem really interesting.
Can you apply for medicine graduate entry with Biological Science?
I've read that many unis reject you if your fifth choice isn't biomedical science because it shows a lack of commitment to medicine... would this apply to biological sciences?
Any unis you would recommend for either course?
Also if you guys have any insight into what the courses are like I'd really appreciate any info

Thanks !! I know its a lot of questions so I'd appreciate any feedback!
Nymthae
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Blish)
So I'm trying to decide what to put down for my fifth choice on the UCAS form, having already chosen my 4 med schools. There are two courses I'm interested in: Biomedical sciences and Biological Sciences. From what I understand Biomedical sciences is very human-oriented, whereas biological science is much more general. Both seem really interesting.
Can you apply for medicine graduate entry with Biological Science?
I've read that many unis reject you if your fifth choice isn't biomedical science because it shows a lack of commitment to medicine... would this apply to biological sciences?
Any unis you would recommend for either course?
Also if you guys have any insight into what the courses are like I'd really appreciate any info

Thanks !! I know its a lot of questions so I'd appreciate any feedback!
Overview here - lots of schools that don't require a biological degree, and a handful that do, but both are fine really.

What do you mean by this? The med schools don't see where else, or for what else, you apply for. The only course it will hinder you for is the fifth choice itself, because your PS is not tailored to it, however many departments are happy to accept that (not just biological sciences either, stuff like chemistry or CS even) and/or may just request a separate PS to be sent through directly for that course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (24)
16.78%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (48)
33.57%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (14)
9.79%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (14)
9.79%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (7)
4.9%
I think it's an unfair expectation (33)
23.08%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
2.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed