GAP Year with Regard to Top-Up Fees

Watch
This discussion is closed.
adk
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Firstly, will there be a surge of entries to Universities for 2005 entry, as people try to get in there, before the top-up fees are introduced in 2006? Will this make it slightly more difficult to get in?

Surely a lot less people will take a gap year during 2005-2006 because of this, and therefore it's beneficial (if money isn't really a problem), to wait until 2006 to apply.

Views.. guys (and girls)?!
ruthiepoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by adk)
Firstly, will there be a surge of entries to Universities for 2005 entry, as people try to get in there, before the top-up fees are introduced in 2006? Will this make it slightly more difficult to get in?

Surely a lot less people will take a gap year during 2005-2006 because of this, and therefore it's beneficial (if money isn't really a problem), to wait until 2006 to apply.

Views.. guys (and girls)?!
i personally don't think it will make that much of a difference.....you don't have to pay the money back until after you graduate...
however, i do think slightly more people will apply in 2004 for 2005 than normal, and slightly less for 2006- but don't base your decision on that...take a gap year if you want to and you are going to do something worthwhile with it...but don't take one just becauase you think you have a better chance of getting in in 2006.....cos you won't have if you have taken a gap year purely for that reason...

Ruthie
xxxx
samd294
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I read anarticle in the times this weekend about a possible 25% rise in applicants for 2005, I think this is a maximum estimate, based on the fact that nobody will go on a gap year that year, and university application rates will continue to rise in the same way as they did last year. 25% seems very unlikely. On the upside, if this is true and you decide to take a gap year or reapply for 2006, you probly have a far greater chance of getting in.
adk
(Original post by samd294)
I read anarticle in the times this weekend about a possible 25% rise in applicants for 2005, I think this is a maximum estimate, based on the fact that nobody will go on a gap year that year, and university application rates will continue to rise in the same way as they did last year. 25% seems very unlikely. On the upside, if this is true and you decide to take a gap year or reapply for 2006, you probly have a far greater chance of getting in.
Good. I'm having a gap year irrespective of this, but it is very good, as an added bonus.
adk
?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you're planning on going to uni this year, would any of these financial reasons stop you?

Not being able to work now to save up for uni (90)
13.95%
Reduced household income due to coronavirus means I can't afford to go (53)
8.22%
Lack of part-time jobs to support me while I'm at uni (83)
12.87%
Lack of graduate job prospects when I finish uni (76)
11.78%
Other reasons are stopping me going (83)
12.87%
Nothing is stopping me going (260)
40.31%

Watched Threads