Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, will there be a surge of entries to Universities for 2005 entry, as people try to get in there, before the top-up fees are introduced in 2006? Will this make it slightly more difficult to get in?

Surely a lot less people will take a gap year during 2005-2006 because of this, and therefore it's beneficial (if money isn't really a problem), to wait until 2006 to apply.

Views.. guys (and girls)?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adk)
    Firstly, will there be a surge of entries to Universities for 2005 entry, as people try to get in there, before the top-up fees are introduced in 2006? Will this make it slightly more difficult to get in?

Surely a lot less people will take a gap year during 2005-2006 because of this, and therefore it's beneficial (if money isn't really a problem), to wait until 2006 to apply.

Views.. guys (and girls)?!
    i personally don't think it will make that much of a difference.....you don't have to pay the money back until after you graduate...
    however, i do think slightly more people will apply in 2004 for 2005 than normal, and slightly less for 2006- but don't base your decision on that...take a gap year if you want to and you are going to do something worthwhile with it...but don't take one just becauase you think you have a better chance of getting in in 2006.....cos you won't have if you have taken a gap year purely for that reason...

Ruthie
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I read anarticle in the times this weekend about a possible 25% rise in applicants for 2005, I think this is a maximum estimate, based on the fact that nobody will go on a gap year that year, and university application rates will continue to rise in the same way as they did last year. 25% seems very unlikely. On the upside, if this is true and you decide to take a gap year or reapply for 2006, you probly have a far greater chance of getting in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    I read anarticle in the times this weekend about a possible 25% rise in applicants for 2005, I think this is a maximum estimate, based on the fact that nobody will go on a gap year that year, and university application rates will continue to rise in the same way as they did last year. 25% seems very unlikely. On the upside, if this is true and you decide to take a gap year or reapply for 2006, you probly have a far greater chance of getting in.
    Good. I'm having a gap year irrespective of this, but it is very good, as an added bonus.

ReputationRep:
    ?

Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.